Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL - PM, (NW - Plat), AA - Gold, Marriott - Plat, Avis - First
If the bag was too big, why wouldn't they just let you gate check it. After all the bag cleared security. Why would they want you to leave the secure area to go check you bag, causing you to miss your flight when they easily could tag it at the gate.

Makes no sense that the TSA stopped you after security for a bag that was too big. Makes even less sense they'd tell you to go back outside to security to check it. Makes even less sense that is what the Red Coat suggested you do.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:52 pm

Programs: - DL DM, HH Gold
FWIW, it seems like this can be summarised as

1 - TSA is now truly, madly and deeply insane
2 - OP got what he wanted, but there is a difference between understanding why he did it (we all do?!) and approving of it (seems about 60/40 against, on that one).

At least he had the honesty to admit in the later post that he had been a bit of a chump, so ^ to that.

I always try to remember in such situations "How would my wife or mother feel about my actions / what would they do". Agree?

Not "what would jesus do" as he was, of course, a pre-merger passenger.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by TATL lawyer
I always try to remember in such situations "How would my wife or mother feel about my actions / what would they do". Agree?

I like to ask: "What would Eric Cartman do?"
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:07 pm

Programs: - DL DM, HH Gold
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Awesome choice of life coach. OP's choice of vocabulary to throw around would have been even more .. er.. interesting.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Awesome choice of life coach. OP's choice of vocabulary to throw around would have been even more .. er.. interesting.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 7:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
HEY! I am a PLAT, and YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!
Old Feb 9, 2011, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by pdac1975
I don't know, a lot of people are giving the OP a ^ for this. Kind of sounds like complete a-hole behavior to me.
A lot of people can sit at their computers and say that. I like to think I'm a rational, level-headed person, but if I tried to reason with a belligerent TSO on a power trip and a Red Coat who is thoroughly disinterested in passenger assistance (not even reason, but just point out what the rules are and that I'm following them), and at the end of that road it appears I have to take a later flight to check my carry-on that is five inches smaller than the limit (and either delay my companions or split from them), pretty sure I'd come unraveled too. And with my luck, what I would say to the TSO would probably land me in Gitmo.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 7:18 pm

Programs: Delta DM
While commuting last week I watched a DYKWIA go off on an ATL GA, dropping the F-Bomb every other sentence. And he was screaming that he was a DM. Was priceless to watch his face when the Captain of the AC that walked up to the GA to get his release ask him if he was traveling to XXX... Then proceed to tell the GA to rebook Mr DYKWIA since he would NOT be traveling on his AC to XXX after witnessing how he was treating/talking to the GA..
I doubt he'll act like that again..

Last edited by flightattendantsteve; Feb 9, 2011 at 7:23 pm
Old Feb 9, 2011, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by javabytes
HEY! I am a PLAT, and YOU WILL RESPECT MY AUTHORITAH!
Egggzactly!
Old Feb 9, 2011, 7:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by flightattendantsteve
While commuting last week I watched a DYKWIA go off on an ATL GA, dropping the F-Bomb every other sentence. And he was screaming that he was a DM. Was priceless to watch his face when the Captain of the AC that walked up to the GA to get his release ask him if he was traveling to XXX... Then proceed to tell the GA to rebook Mr DYKWIA since he would NOT be traveling on his AC to XXX after witnessing how he was treating/talking to the GA..
I doubt he'll act like that again..

Best post of this thread. I'd love it if someone video taped this encounter on there phone between the DM, the GA and the pilot and posted it on youtube.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 8:09 pm

Maybe the TSA will learn not to overstep their bounds anymore. I have no problem with the OP's behavior especially given the situation of trying to catch a flight with several others. The TSA's Napoleon's complexes need to stop somewhere and if it took the F bomb to do it so be it. Sometimes the ends justify the means.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
"Respect mah au-thor-i-tay!"
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:10 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold

Um, as a devout South Park fanatic, I must correct you. It's - "What would Brian Boitano do?". On second thought, yours is more apropos...
Old Feb 9, 2011, 9:55 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
There is rarely a time & place to pull the DYKWIA card.

Sadly, I'll admit this was one of them.

There's a difference between a FO pushing DMs out of the way to board during Zone 1 and someone who travels 75,000+ miles a year knowing what will fit where on the respective aircraft and not hesitating to assert their knowledge of those facts.
Old Feb 9, 2011, 11:00 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Agreed. The only input TSA has is whether the carryon fits into their x-ray machine.

After that, feel free to tell at TSA employee to go pound sand if they direct you to do anything with your bag.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.