Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Do You Know Who I Am?”: The Definitive Thread of DYKWIA Stories

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
"DYKWIA benefits" without making any demands...

In BOS on Sunday, I checked in with my sister about 90 min before my flight and 5 hours before her flight. We were nice to the TA who took my bags and she gladly checked my sister in that early so we could hang out before I left. The (empty) Sky Club also let her stay once I left for my flight since she had several hours to hang out.

Old Feb 1, 2011, 2:31 am

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Thank you so much for the great laugh!!!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:12 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Not really DYKWIA, but --

flying on NW DTW-CDG, asked the gate agent if there was any chance of an op-up. She said, sorry, not oversold, but I'll block the seat next to you in coach, which was fine with me.

taking a bump in ABQ, there were two of us taking a bump, I was plat, the other was gold. The gate agent looked at my BP that already had me upgraded ABQ-MSP, but not MSP-DCA. He rebooked me to first class on the AA flights through DFW. He also printed out a meal voucher at which point the printer ran out of paper. The other bumpee had his seats in coach, the agent explained that status had benefits, but no meal voucher. Nice guy that I am, I gave gold my meal voucher since both of the AA flights served food up front.

on overnight bumps in CDG, MSP and ATL, gotten better hotels and higher value meal vouchers because of status, always by asking nicely.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:35 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
I play the DYKWIA card quietly and nicely when there is a full flight and I am assigned a middle seat. I walk up to the counter, hand my BP to the GA as I say something like, "I know you made the announcement that this is a full flight and you couldn't accomodate seat change requests, but I was hoping if something might be available..." This ALWAYS results in the GA taking the BP and saying something like, "I'll see what I can do." I then thank the GA and let him/her know that I understand if nothing can be done.

My success rate is close to 100% on this. Sometimes another passenger will have just asked the same question before me and have been given a firm negative answer, so I'm pretty sure the unstated but written PM makes the difference. This happens often, as I SDC once or twice a week.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:38 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by TheBisch
I would as well. If it won't fit in the bin, it should be checked at the ticket counter.

While my laptop, etc will fit underneath the seat in front of me, my feet will not once I sit down. I'm quite tall, and have big feet. If I am sitting in Y, it is physically painful for me to sit with a bag under the seat in front of me, as there is no place to put my feet. I need those precious extra inches to sit down. Therefore, my bag has to go in the overhead bin. The only way I'd support removing overhead bins is if the pitch in Y matched the pitch in F.

The overhead bins do serve a purpose. My proposal would be....

- ONE bag per pax onboard (not one plus a personal item... ONE).
- Second bag per pax onboard costs $25 for bin space.
- Bags underneath up to 50 pounds fly free, max 100 pounds per PAX.
- Excess weight costs extra.
I am also very tall and have size 13 feet and can not remember putting a bag under the seat being painful sans the fimes I flew after one of my knee surgeries. Maybe the size of your bag is an issue?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 6:46 am
Suspended

Thumbs down Entitled People

Originally Posted by lsugolfer
Classic Zone1 dykwia on 5301 btr-mem right now. GA threatened to call security on her after she refused to gate check her bag that she "was certain would fit in the overheard" She even tried to sneak by the bag drop elevator.
[FONT="Arial Black"]I really don't know why so many entitled people do not feel embarrassed to tears for pulling stuff like this. She should be un-DMed. [/FONT]
Old Feb 1, 2011, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
I made that mistake once and only once... I've been on a mission to disabuse the population of the confusion between "gate check" and "gate valet" and between "direct" vs. "non-stop". Both ventures are maddening and seemingly futile, but I never give up!
Tis a noble quest! Number two is especially maddening!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 9:02 am

Programs: MP MVP Gold; Hilton - Gold; Marriott - Silver;
My one and only time to use my Status proactively was pre-merger. Mrsapollinax (newly) and I were on our way back from our honeymoon from an island in the Carribean. However once in the airport the NWA counter was backed up with what looked like a 100 or so PAX. I find out that our flight was canceled. So with card in hand I have mrsapollinax follow me to the 1st class line and a TA proceeds to help me.

Mrsapollinax tells me that she felt like we would get mobbed by those in line for this action. However after spending a ton of time in the air for work I felt that if I was going to use the status I was going to use it for this in order to get home. Still in my singular focus to solve our current situation I was oblivious to these looks...

Now this would be the end of the story, however the TA tells me that we have seats booked.... but on a different airline and I would need to get in line at that airline to get my seat assignments and BP. So I proceed over to the other Airline where there is a large line of PAX who were sent over from NWA waiting to get seat assignments and BPs. This new airline? Delta. So I again coax mrsapollinax out of line to follow me as I proceed to the 1st class/status line.

(Once again mrsapollinax felt fear for her life according to the looks I apparently was ignoring...)

I walk up to the counter show them my credentials and a TA (Manager) comes in and proceeds to take our luggage, give us seats and BPs. We make it past security with enough time to buy rum cakes as presents for friends and have a quick bite ot eat before boarding.

Since that time I haven't used my status proactively in such a way. This incident occurred when my status was much higher than it is today and as such I take my upgrades with a smile when I get them, I enjoy my free checked luggage and Exit/Aisle seats and the occasional "Have One on Us" coupons when they happen upon my printer.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 9:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC, Delta PM, SPG Gold
Similar to the middle seat story above, I was flying AA a few months ago, and assigned a middle seat in the back. After politely asking for a better seat, the lady rudely said "nothing I can do, we are full". So I pulled out my phone in front of her, booked a ticket leaving 1 hour later on Delta, and requested a cancellation of my ticket (it was full-fare). She immediately offered to give me a better seat, but it was too late then. In this case, instead of the DWKWIA, I put my money where my mouth and status was.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Priority Plat, Nat'l Exec
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
I am also very tall and have size 13 feet and can not remember putting a bag under the seat being painful sans the fimes I flew after one of my knee surgeries. Maybe the size of your bag is an issue?
Bag fits fine under the seat... takes up all the room under the seat, but fits fine. I have size 14.5 feet and permanent damage to my knees and right ankle (old football injuries). If I can't put my feet under the seat in front of me, I'm gonna be in pain.

Not sure WHY everyone seems to need to know all this. If I say I'm in pain, you should just leave it be. I still only bring one bag onboard (not one + a personal item... ONE) and check the rest. Why should I have to put my one bag underneath the seat in front me... REGARDLESS of if I'm in pain or not?
Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:07 am

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by TheBisch
Bag fits fine under the seat... takes up all the room under the seat, but fits fine. I have size 14.5 feet and permanent damage to my knees and right ankle (old football injuries). If I can't put my feet under the seat in front of me, I'm gonna be in pain.

Not sure WHY everyone seems to need to know all this. If I say I'm in pain, you should just leave it be. I still only bring one bag onboard (not one + a personal item... ONE) and check the rest. Why should I have to put my one bag underneath the seat in front me... REGARDLESS of if I'm in pain or not?
How can we feel your pain if we don't know what it is???.

On a serious note, I agree that everybody gets one item up top until the door is closed (though I would exclude coats as they can effectively take an entire bin).

And that does imply that the largest item on a barbie is what BOTH pax can get up at the same time. So "because it fits" might not be good enough to bring it on.
Old Feb 1, 2011, 10:13 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by moman
Similar to the middle seat story above, I was flying AA a few months ago, and assigned a middle seat in the back. After politely asking for a better seat, the lady rudely said "nothing I can do, we are full". So I pulled out my phone in front of her, booked a ticket leaving 1 hour later on Delta, and requested a cancellation of my ticket (it was full-fare). She immediately offered to give me a better seat, but it was too late then. In this case, instead of the DWKWIA, I put my money where my mouth and status was.
That is awesome +++++++1
Old Feb 1, 2011, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Disney Platinum ;)
Did you close your cancellation transaction with "You have an empty seat now." I would have!
Old Feb 1, 2011, 8:36 pm

Programs: Delta, Hyatt-Plat, Priority Club-Plat, Hilton-Gold
WOW! I would have loved to have been a fly in the gate house to see that one!
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:15 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta 1MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Hertz - PC, Marriott Titanium Elite
DYKWIAM - Musings, discoveries and observations

Law of Seatmate’s, when assigned a center seat expect to sit between overweight sumo wrestlers.

Law of Passengers, the rest of the flyers will be attending Aanorexia as a Life Style convention.

Law of Window Seat’s, the space between the window will be, 1 inch wider than all of the items you can stuff into it to use for a pillow; including a king size mattress.

Boarding etiquette 101, when boarding the plane, get off your cell phone, it interferes with my conversation.

Boarding etiquette 102, do STEP out of the aisle, I need to put my bag in your spot.

Boarding etiquette 103, guys it's rude, vulgar, and crass to turn, lean, and watch a woman walk down the aisle; besides you’re blocking my view.

Boarding etiquette 104, guy’s claiming a seat mix up so you can sit beside a pretty lady is creepy and downright desperate; imitation is flattering but get your own plan.

Last edited by DL_TIDE; Feb 2, 2011 at 2:19 pm Reason: isle>aisle; the woman>a woman.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.