Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2013, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kwaj boy
I'll report back when I learn the results of my experiment a week from Monday.
Have they put a pre-check lane in PHL term D/E? I know of the one in C but its a long walk either way to get to there and back to the Delta gates.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 4:03 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by jackal
Interesting. A friend's AS BP printed by DL agents at PHL was not readable by TSA and he was thus denied PreCheck (the only time he's ever been denied, as he has GE). Sounds like there might be IT issues with agent-printed BPs.
Having GE does not guarantee PreCheck. There is still a random factor in selection for it at any given time.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 4:15 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by ross123
Have they put a pre-check lane in PHL term D/E? I know of the one in C but its a long walk either way to get to there and back to the Delta gates.
As of a couple weeks ago, no. Despite there being a pre-check line in C, DL does not participate in PHL, so you wouldn't be able to use the line if you are flying DL. It's on the drawing board for DL to participate in PHL and for D/E to get pre-check.

Here is the list of airports and airlines that participate at each: http://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/fil...tion_chart.pdf.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by CJKatl
As of a couple weeks ago, no. Despite there being a pre-check line in C, DL does not participate in PHL, so you wouldn't be able to use the line if you are flying DL. It's on the drawing board for DL to participate in PHL and for D/E to get pre-check.

Here is the list of airports and airlines that participate at each: http://www.tsa.gov/sites/default/fil...tion_chart.pdf.
I am not 100% familiar with the physical layout of PHL, but if you can access the DL gates from the checkpoint with PreCheck, it doesn't matter if the TSA websites lists DL as participating.. You've either got it, or you don't, for your trip-- they don't deny or accept based on whether or not the website lists them as participating.. TSA has even said they're systems aren't advanced enough to do that..
Old Jun 3, 2013, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Having GE does not guarantee PreCheck. There is still a random factor in selection for it at any given time.
Nope. Once you iron out any name mismatch issues (and rule out any weird IT issues), those with GE have universally reported 100% success with PreCheck. The whole "random" thing is a CYA-thing on TSA's part so they don't have to answer complaints about weirdness. In practice, there is no random rejection for Trusted Travelers; there is if you are not a Trusted Traveler and are relying on elite status for PreCheck access.

Not quite correct. FriendlySkies correctly points this out in his post just above mine. If a) your airline participates in PreCheck at all (i.e. not WN, B6, etc.) and b) the airport you are departing from has a PreCheck-enabled checkpoint anywhere in the entire airport, then your boarding pass will contain the magic "3" and grant you PreCheck access. TSA does not have any logic programmed into their system to know whether an airline participates at a specific airport or whether a specific flight is behind a PreCheck-enabled checkpoint. It's all-or-nothing.

Whether you can use that PreCheck access to your benefit is another issue entirely (if you are at an airport where the PreCheck checkpoint isn't connected to your departure gate's concourse).

Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
I am not 100% familiar with the physical layout of PHL, but if you can access the DL gates from the checkpoint with PreCheck...
PHL (my home airport!) is all connected airside, so it works. If you are checking a bag or otherwise need to talk to the DL ticket counter personnel, you'll need to exit the check-in area (E), turn left, and walk about a one-minute walk west along the outside sidewalk to the C (US) terminal. Go up the escalator and the PreCheck checkpoint is immediately at the top of the escalator. Once through security, turn left and ride the moving walkway back to concourse D for Delta flights. Easy and worth it if you've scanned your BP to confirm you have PreCheck; if not, the non-PreCheck C security checkpoint can be horrendously backed up, so you're better off going through the (always pretty short) elite line at D.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 9:49 pm

Would love to hear the instructions for ironing out name/IT issues....

Wife and I, both recent GE, went 0 for 2 PreCheck. First, on an AA one-way MIA-LAX. Second, on DL LAX-ATL-MIA. We were told both times that it was random and about 20% are sent for the normal routine. Apparently we got lucky both times?!

Nope. Once you iron out any name mismatch issues (and rule out any weird IT issues), those with GE have universally reported 100% success with PreCheck.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Interesting. A friend's AS BP printed by DL agents at PHL was not readable by TSA and he was thus denied PreCheck (the only time he's ever been denied, as he has GE). Sounds like there might be IT issues with agent-printed BPs.
I wasn't sure if the agent printed BP issue was ever resolved. I recall at one point it was said on FT, do not use agent printed BP if you want to access Pre. Is it possible the BP was missing the signature?
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Retale_88
Would love to hear the instructions for ironing out name/IT issues....

Wife and I, both recent GE, went 0 for 2 PreCheck. First, on an AA one-way MIA-LAX. Second, on DL LAX-ATL-MIA. We were told both times that it was random and about 20% are sent for the normal routine. Apparently we got lucky both times?!
Make sure that your information in your Secure Flight profile is an exact, 100% match to your Global Entry profile--first name, middle name, and last name. If your Global Entry profile (as shown on your GE card or in GOES online) has a middle initial, then your Secure Flight information (which is different than the actual name the reservation is ticketed under) should only have a middle initial. If you have a full middle name listed, make sure your SF profile has your full middle name. If your middle name is blank in GOES, then put no middle name in SF.

And of course it goes without saying that you need your GE PASS ID entered in the Known Traveler Number field of your Secure Flight information.

In my limited experience with Delta, Delta's agents are woefully unaware of how to access and edit your Secure Flight information. It may take a few tries to get it corrected in your reservations.

Originally Posted by CDKing
I wasn't sure if the agent printed BP issue was ever resolved. I recall at one point it was said on FT, do not use agent printed BP if you want to access Pre. Is it possible the BP was missing the signature?
The actual error that appeared on the TSA agent's scanner's screen (I had already passed the document checker and was loading my stuff on the X-ray belt and looked back) was something like "Invalid Airline Code." Looked like a glitch in the barcode.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
PHL (my home airport!) is all connected airside, so it works. If you are checking a bag or otherwise need to talk to the DL ticket counter personnel, you'll need to exit the check-in area (E), turn left, and walk about a one-minute walk west along the outside sidewalk to the C (US) terminal. Go up the escalator and the PreCheck checkpoint is immediately at the top of the escalator. Once through security, turn left and ride the moving walkway back to concourse D for Delta flights. Easy and worth it if you've scanned your BP to confirm you have PreCheck; if not, the non-PreCheck C security checkpoint can be horrendously backed up, so you're better off going through the (always pretty short) elite line at D.
Terrific! ^
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EP, DL PL, HH Dia, Marriott Gld, National Exp
After a number of tweaks to my DL Secure Passenger Information (hyphenated last name, no middle name/changed to middle initial/changed to middle name, DOB showing up funky wrong on DL app even though correct delta.com and what the DL reps see) and still no PreCheck, I finally went through GE interview. Approved at the interview, I immediately added the PASSID to my Delta Secure info. Have 6 DL flights this week, and TSA PreCheck so far on the 2 flown, and 2 printed for tomorrow. The GE cure

Last edited by dorisrpas; Jun 4, 2013 at 4:55 pm
Old Jun 4, 2013, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA GLD (1MM), DL GLD, Marriott Plat, RCL D+, X Elite
Has anyone had issues recently with your delta.com Secure Flight information from agent booked reservations merging your First and Middle names, leaving the Middle column blank, and then your last name is in the right spot? My Delta.com profile is correct. The funny thing is that I called the 888 number they say call to correct information, and the person on the other end said that my name appears in the correct fields to them. I've had one res that did have everything in the correct name field suddenly merge first and middle names and leave the middle field blank. And still others that look just fine to me.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 4:47 pm

As of at least yesterday, Precheck is available in the Delta security (D/E security where Delta shares with Alaska, United/Air Canada, Southwest/Airtran)

I did not get the pre-check option yesterday from PHL-MSP-YYC but due to a MX I was overnighted in MSP and got it from MSP-YYC. Hopefully this is as you said and when DL starts participating it will kick in.
Old Jun 10, 2013, 11:07 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
CLE "wondering where to put it"

Flew out of CLE a few days ago, first time in awhile. Despite info that Pre-Check is available at B, the TSA folks there say, "Yeah, it's supposed to be here, but we're wondering where to put it." It is available at C, about four minutes (x2) out of the way.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 8:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ross123
As of at least yesterday, Precheck is available in the Delta security (D/E security where Delta shares with Alaska, United/Air Canada, Southwest/Airtran)

I did not get the pre-check option yesterday from PHL-MSP-YYC but due to a MX I was overnighted in MSP and got it from MSP-YYC. Hopefully this is as you said and when DL starts participating it will kick in.
I hope PHL does a better job of keeping PreCheck open for DL flights than they do with the elite security line, which tends to close late in the day. Plus, even redcoats in the DL check in area claim not to know what the SkyPriority security line is, let alone where it is located.
Old Jun 11, 2013, 9:26 am
Used to be hamajicky

What time does the PreCheck lane in Atlanta close?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.