Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2013, 12:12 am

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For those who have recently been denied, did your boarding pass say PreCheck or not? And how did you get the boarding pass: smart phone, iPhone, kiosk, OLCI and home/office/hotel printer, agent?
My boarding passes do not say PreCheck. I check in either on my Android phone or online with my laptop. It looks like no Precheck tomorrow again. This is getting old fast.
Old May 28, 2013, 10:39 am
Moderator: Chase Ultimate Rewards

Programs: UA 2P, MR LT Plat, IHG Plat, BW Dia, HH Au, Avis PC
Have finally been seeing the "PRECHECK" tag

I'm one of those rare people who does NOT have GE but still opted in anyway, with both UA and DL.

For over a year, I'd never actually received pre-check. After trying many combinations of the form of my name, I've been 2/3 in the past month or so.

The change that seems to have worked has been to use the name on my state driving license EXACTLY: long_form_first_name middle_initial surname - adding that middle initial seems to be what's done it. As I recall, this is different than the form on my passport but perhaps TSA is using a DMV database for whatever hand-waving they do in the background, for those without GE...
Old May 28, 2013, 10:39 am

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Just as another reference on the whole 72 hour thing, it can be approved a lot faster than that.

My Delta itinerary (leaving tonight on a red eye) initially wouldn't even let me check in online (which to me indicated that my Redress number had disappeared from my itinerary).

I called Delta, and they put my Redress and PASSID back into the reservation, and after getting off the phone, I was able to check in online and the TSA PRECHK indicator is on my BP.
Old May 28, 2013, 10:44 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Was denied all last week, on several flights. Check that your name is entered correctly on DL's site. What was previously accepted seems to no longer be acceptable. Specifically

First Name: BillyD
Middle Name:
Last Name: Williams

is not longer acceptable, it seems. I had to get it changed to

First Name: Billy
Middle Name: Dee
Last Name: Williams

to get it to work. I did get Pre-Check for tomorrow.

My BP did not say Pre-Check when I was denied. Neither my phone nor the printed passes showed this.

DL will tell you it's not their fault. They will blame TSA. Push them. Ask to speak to supervisors. The problem will magically be solved when they re-enter your name.
Old May 28, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by meballard
Just as another reference on the whole 72 hour thing, it can be approved a lot faster than that.

My Delta itinerary (leaving tonight on a red eye) initially wouldn't even let me check in online (which to me indicated that my Redress number had disappeared from my itinerary).

I called Delta, and they put my Redress and PASSID back into the reservation, and after getting off the phone, I was able to check in online and the TSA PRECHK indicator is on my BP.
I just booked a flight for tomorrow (less than 24hours out), then checked in via phone and got Pre Check.

I did some work on the ancient CAPPS (I and II) systems an eon ago. It had some unpublished algorithms for selectee status. One of which is that some people were randomly chosen, even if they met all selectee exemption criteria. I suspect it works the same for pre-check. Ignorant TSA agents may blame the airline, but it's TSA policy that dictates the selection algorithm.

I've had my name at least two different ways: Firstname Lastname and Firstname Middlename Lastname. There was no difference between the two. Got Pre Check 85% of the time with either. I do not have GE or Nexus, DL somehow enrolled me in the program (and I'm thankful for that).

I seem to see slightly higher success from checking in with my phone as opposed to the web, but not enough to be worth complaining about.
Old May 28, 2013, 10:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
For those getting denied, you only can get denied if you have precheck on your BP. Remember, there is no guarantee for PC.

So the question (as asked upthread), who has Precheck on their BP but is not getting three beeps?

And of more concern would be those with three beeps not being allowed to use the PC lane - that is being denied.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
So I finally received an answer from the TSA on what has been going wrong with my Precheck.
I got my KTN through Global Entry, however, I am not a US or Canadian citizen. I am a permanent resident of the US. I don't know why, but for some reason I was really under the impression that I am eligible. From their response it appears that I am not. Why in teh world would I then even get a PASSID through GE ??

Anyways, here is their response:

According to our research and the information you provided, when the data for your flight reservation was received for Transportation Security Administration (TSA) Pre✓™ consideration, it appears that your reservation included an invalid U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler PASS ID.

To avoid future issues, please ensure that you are entering only the first 9-digits of your PASS ID into the Known Traveler Number (KTN) field of your reservation. We also recommend that you update any online travel accounts or frequent flyer profiles to include the correct PASS ID. Specific steps for doing this are available on our Web site at http: www.tsa.gov tsa-precheck tsa-precheck-participation.

In addition, if you make your reservations through your employer’s travel-booking system, a travel agent, or a travel Web site, we strongly recommend that you contact a representative there to ensure that your PASS ID is on file and is correctly entered in the KTN field at the time of your reservation.

It also may be helpful to remember that members of CBP’s Trusted Traveler programs must be a U.S. or Canadian citizen in order to receive TSA Pre✓™ consideration. If you are not a U.S. or Canadian citizen, but you have a valid CBP Trusted Traveler membership (including Global Entry, NEXUS, and SENTRI), your reservation will produce an invalid KTN when it is reviewed for TSA Pre✓™ eligibility.

If you are a frequent flyer who has been considered eligible for TSA Pre✓™ with your airline, please do not include your frequent flyer number in the KTN field of a flight reservation; your frequent flyer number is not considered a KTN. Frequent flyers who have been considered eligible for TSA Pre✓™ should leave this field blank. The KTN field is for travelers who have been assigned a specific KTN, such as members of one of CBP’s Trusted Traveler programs.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Frogbone
So I finally received an answer from the TSA on what has been going wrong with my Precheck.
I got my KTN through Global Entry, however, I am not a US or Canadian citizen. I am a permanent resident of the US. I don't know why, but for some reason I was really under the impression that I am eligible. From their response it appears that I am not. Why in teh world would I then even get a PASSID through GE ??
I am not sure about this thread, but the United PreCheck thread has been very clear that if you are not a U.S. or Canadian citizen, you should not enter a Trusted Traveler number. If you have been invited by an airline to receive PreCheck benefits as a result of your frequent flyer status, then you can continue to receive PreCheck that way, as apparently TSA does not know (or care about) your citizenship status. But once you put a Trusted Traveler number, TSA then knows you are not a U.S./Canadian citizen and will deny you access to PreCheck.

The PASS ID is not specifically for PreCheck--it's your record number for GE, too. So why did you get GE? Well, presumably to make entering the U.S. a little easier next time.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: DL FO, KM, & 1.7MM; UA nothing; HH♦; National EE
Originally Posted by Howste
My boarding passes do not say PreCheck. I check in either on my Android phone or online with my laptop. It looks like no Precheck tomorrow again. This is getting old fast.
I went into my profile a couple of days ago and edited my Secure Flight data. I didn't actually change anything, but I re-entered and saved it. Today when I checked in for my flight tomorrow, it finally shows PreCheck again. I doubt that SRQ has a PreCheck line though.
Old May 30, 2013, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Howste
That happened to me once and I found out it was because I used an online travel agency and did not enter my FF number until after the booking was made. You can call Delta to check if your KTN is included in each reservation and have them add it if it is not. That solved the problem for me.
Old May 31, 2013, 4:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Data Point - BPs issued at SYD produced three beeps at LAX when making the connection from the international flight to domestic.
Old May 31, 2013, 7:31 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For those who have recently been denied, did your boarding pass say PreCheck or not? And how did you get the boarding pass: smart phone, iPhone, kiosk, OLCI and home/office/hotel printer, agent?
I've been denied twice with PreCheck on my BP. It was an agent printed BP in both cases, not printed on card stock with dot matrix printer. Both BPs were clearly printed as far as I could see.
Old May 31, 2013, 7:33 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by DCBob
If you have a BP that says TSA PRECHECK on it, you won't be denied unless the airport does NOT have a TSA Precheck lane. That's been my experience and I ALWAYS print my BPs at home or at my hotel. Never use a kiosk or ticket counter to do this!
Not true in my personal experience. I've been denied twice with TSA PRECHECK on my BP, at LAS and at LAX.
Old May 31, 2013, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by Kwaj boy
Not true in my personal experience. I've been denied twice with TSA PRECHECK on my BP, at LAS and at LAX.
Been denied TSA Pre✓ consistently since my GOES application was rejected.

Oh for eight.

Smooth sailing before that.
Old May 31, 2013, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by Kwaj boy
Further details needed:

-Were you denied by the line dragon or the TSA agent?
-Was your BP actually scanned by the TSA angent?
-Did the scanner emit the three beeps and yet the TSA agent still denied you access?
-Did you confirm via Qrafter or another app that your BP actually had the necessary "3"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.