Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2012, 6:53 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hertz 5* Gold
Just got to use pre check for the first time away from ATL. Went through at T5 in LAX -- was great. The sky priority line is basically non-existent now...walked right to ID checker, 3 beeps, bags on belt and through. From the time I stepped off the bus it took literally 3-4 minutes to gate.

Also learned that making changes within 72 hours does not seem to negatively effect your ability to get pre check. Was originally supposed to fly tomorrow, but changed it yesterday to come home tonight. Very nice.
Old May 17, 2012, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I am surprised you got through it once. I thought you had to be an American citizen to be qualified.
Well, it was the very first week of the pilot. Most likely had a few bugs that they worked out in subsequent weeks.
Old May 17, 2012, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by enigmamatt
Just got to use pre check for the first time away from ATL. Went through at T5 in LAX -- was great. The sky priority line is basically non-existent now...walked right to ID checker, 3 beeps, bags on belt and through. From the time I stepped off the bus it took literally 3-4 minutes to gate.

Also learned that making changes within 72 hours does not seem to negatively effect your ability to get pre check. Was originally supposed to fly tomorrow, but changed it yesterday to come home tonight. Very nice.
Making changes shouldn't matter. I have SDC'd a few times flying from DTW and still got selected
Old May 17, 2012, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Syrgul
Well, it was the very first week of the pilot. Most likely had a few bugs that they worked out in subsequent weeks.
I cansee your fustration if you got selected once. It seems like if you qualify for Nexus or GE and you are a frequent flyer you should have use of the program
Old May 17, 2012, 8:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Sky Club, United Club, Admirals Club, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by edscholl
have they moved the medallion line from the left to be over to the right (where the precheck xray is)? it wasn't a couple weeks ago, which was pretty dumb...
Yes they sure did as of about 10 days ago when I last took a flight. I came in on the right where they has someone looking for Medallion. But since you asked, I don't recall them doing a 3-beep PRE right then and there. She just sent me down a special lane with a swing gate on the right, went straight through the swing gate to the far right TSA ID checker and then to the far right X-Ray. So I don't know if the Pre is before the lines or after the ID check. I thought it was Pre and I know it was Pre once I got through the Xray with my jacket and shoes on, but not sure where I was officially PreNounced.

As you know they built that ramp area for crowded times, so I couldn't tell you if Pre gets to jump that ramp area lineat peak hours. I hope so but I can't see how they could check all those IDs before the ramp so we may all be equal until the BC is scanned.

I am out tomorrow again so I will report back on the experience.
Old May 18, 2012, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Sky Club, United Club, Admirals Club, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Just a follow up as promised, the security area was nearly totally empty. It would not have mattered which lane I chose because I had my pick of TSA ID checkers. When I arrived a non TSA employee (DL??) asked if I was medallion or Pre and I told her Pre, and she sent me to the same little roped off passage on the right that i used last time. This is to the right of the main ropes and she had to open it to let me in. I scanned, got 3 beeps (very low volume) and he directed me to the right which is yet another separate roped off area. You cannot cross over from any of the other TSA stations to get here. it has it's own staff and metal detector.

I like it but it made almost no difference today. Even my belt - which i wore for the first time in ages because I hoped I would Pre it - beeped, and I had to walk throug a second time.

I have o clue how they will will Pre check for Pre during busy hours and if the woman is going to ask everyone if they want to see if they are PRE then lots of people are is going to volunteer to find out.

Last edited by monkeshine; May 18, 2012 at 6:21 pm
Old May 20, 2012, 2:04 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by gooselee
Use of PreCheck is pretty well documented here on FT and on the TSA website here. Currently the two ways in are opting in if invited as a FFP elite, or signing up for a trusted traveler program like Global Entry.

The three beeps and "LLL" are also relatively well documented on FT as the indication that pax are eligible for Pre. And it is supposed to be the case universally. Allowing all pax of a certain status through removes the random selection piece of it and, to a point, undermines the level of additional security that TSA claims to provide (whether that additional security is meaningful or not is s separate discussion).

There was some discussion about lines being rearranged at LAS a couple weeks ago, and it's more likely that it was part of the program rollout there and/or poor TSA training than an intended procedure for the program or that airport.
While I think proper training may be an issue, I don't think this is entirely the case. I was on an early am flight the day Pre-Check rolled out at DCA. The TSA suits were manning the station and letting all SP members through to try out the system. It wasn't a training issue, TSA actually had the boss's here helping out. One even took my bag and put it on the belt for me. My only thought is that the TSA and DL wanted medallion members to experience and see how the program works.

I should note, after getting precheck about 10 times in a row, I'm 0 for 3 my last few flights. Im in the DCA SkyClub now. Today I noticed the TSA checkpoint at DCA has a new monitor that the agents see your info on. The guy even showed it to me when he directed me to the normal security line. I asked about precheck and he let me rescan my boarding pass. Same result.
Old May 20, 2012, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
While I think proper training may be an issue, I don't think this is entirely the case. I was on an early am flight the day Pre-Check rolled out at DCA. The TSA suits were manning the station and letting all SP members through to try out the system. It wasn't a training issue, TSA actually had the boss's here helping out. One even took my bag and put it on the belt for me. My only thought is that the TSA and DL wanted medallion members to experience and see how the program works.

I should note, after getting precheck about 10 times in a row, I'm 0 for 3 my last few flights. Im in the DCA SkyClub now. Today I noticed the TSA checkpoint at DCA has a new monitor that the agents see your info on. The guy even showed it to me when he directed me to the normal security line. I asked about precheck and he let me rescan my boarding pass. Same result.
Yep, I can totally see the case of sending SP folks through during rollout to help introduce the program, esp since those are the folks who would likely be using it the most.

Sorry to hear about your recent lack of LLL. Do you happen to have GE, or just Pre by virtue of your PM status? Just curious as we all try to figure out our random probabilities
Old May 21, 2012, 7:42 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Marriott Gold, Hilton, Hertz
Delta/TSA Pre

I have a question and am hoping that this group can help.

Last week I flew SLC to LAS, I am GM and was upgraded on both flights to FC. On both flights I was informed when I reached the security check point after having my Boarding Pass scanned that I was 'TSA Pre' and could go through that security line,. I am not complaining, since it definitely sped up my security process and eliminated the hassle of 'de shoeing', taking out my laptop etc. This happened on both trips.

I did not apply for TSA Pre, just wondering if anyone has any insight as to how this might have occurred. Was it my FC upgrade? Status (only GM so I doubt it). Will this be the case on all my flights @ airports that have TSA Pre? Does Janet Naplitano have my number (yikes!). Flying SLC to DEN midweek-would be nice to know.

Thanks in advance-have a great day!
Old May 21, 2012, 7:50 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Upgrades are not a factor. GM and above are eligible if the appropriate information is in your DL profile, which it must be in your case. On any particular day, selection is random; sometimes you get selected, sometimes not. I always hope but I never assume I will be selected.

Search is your friend. There are several FT threads about Pre-check.
Old May 21, 2012, 7:55 am

Programs: DL DM/Marriott Plat
If you have entered your information into the "Secure Flight Passenger Data" area of your SM profile on DL.com (which, based on your experience, I am guessing you have), then you are automatically entered into the TSA PreCheck program.

Note the disclaimer at the bottom of the profile page says "By checking this box, you consent to Delta storing your Secure Flight Passenger Data consistent with our privacy policy. For Delta SkyMiles members, by checking this box, you also consent to Delta Air Lines, Inc. sharing your information with TSA to be considered for modified screening at select TSA checkpoints."

And yes, Janet Napolitano has your number, and is likely stalking you from the overhead compartment right now.
Old May 21, 2012, 7:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Delta TSA Pre-Check
Old May 21, 2012, 8:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
I don't want to brag, but I made a few calls and got you on the list Miss Jam... just the kinda guy I am....
Old May 21, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Marriott Gold, Hilton, Hertz
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
I don't want to brag, but I made a few calls and got you on the list Miss Jam... just the kinda guy I am....
Thanks for the information and tips all. And especially to you Mr. Hudson as I've said many times, 'what a guy!"
Old May 21, 2012, 8:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LeslieJam
Thanks for the information and tips all. And especially to you Mr. Hudson as I've said many times, 'what a guy!"
Watch out. He'll expect to be repaid, and not in money, for this favor!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.