Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2013, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by BER Flyer
Pre-check is now available for non-us passports and international flights. Just had my first international "3 peeps" on JFK-AMS this sunday, german passport, KLM ticket, DL flight. Untill now no pre-check for me everytime the itinerary included an international segment.
It's been available on international itineraries since May 2013.

Glad it's now working for you!

Old Sep 24, 2013, 6:15 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Since I noticed this thread pop-up, I'll also give folks a heads up. Pre-Check opens at JFK T2 today. I was there yesterday and they were all ready to go.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 6:55 am

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
I've purchased tickets the day before departure a few tines and always got pre.
I was standing in CLT ready to take a US flight back in August. Plans changed. Walked up to the DL counter and purchased a ticket out of nowhere. Got Pre-Check.

The 48 hour thing isn't always the case.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Dunno what's going on. Back in Jul and Aug was hitting about 75% of the time. Last 4, 0/4....

Oh well.
This happened to me in May. You can go back and look at the posts. It's happened to many of us.

It's likely something has happened with the way your name is entered in the Secure Data fields. You cannot change those fields online. Call DL's IT - the number that's listed by that field - and make them change your name. For many of us, it's the first name being listed as "BillyD" instead of "Billy D" or "Billy Dee" or first name "Billy" with middle name "Dee" that seems to be the issue. For others, it's just some mystery invisible character that seems to disappear when DL changes the name.

DL will insist it's not their fault (it is) and that changing the name does nothing. (for most, it solves the issue.) Just insist that they humor you and do it. This will usually fix the problem.

I went from close to 100% (all but once) to zero on eight to ten flights over a two week period and back up to 100% on my ~40 flights since.

Another possible culprit: many of us are so used to our secure information auto-populating when purchasing tickets, that we don't double check that it's there each time. A coworker thinks her issue was caused by her not making sure the information was there when she purchased her tickets,
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:05 am

Originally Posted by stevekstevek
Since I noticed this thread pop-up, I'll also give folks a heads up. Pre-Check opens at JFK T2 today. I was there yesterday and they were all ready to go.
I was on OAK the other day. When I got the three beeps, the TSA agent told me they were opening theirs very soon, too. The agents had their training a couple days earlier.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
I've purchased tickets the day before departure a few times and always got pre.
I purchase the overwhelming majority of my tickets within 24 hours of scheduled departure, and a huge proportion of that is within just 4-8 hours before scheduled departure; and it hasn't changed our PreCheck outcomes in any noticeable way.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 7:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Dunno what's going on. Back in Jul and Aug was hitting about 75% of the time. Last 4, 0/4....

Oh well.
The Feds have some kind of additional name and birthdate related checks going on that are at least somewhat different than they were before, with the difference more pronounced for those who are not using a fed-provided known traveler number. This has been hitting non-Pre and Pre pax too.

Do you have a GE number? If so, get that number inputed correctly into the KT field and have the name on the ticket spelled in the same way as the passport with family name as last name and the given name in the first name field; and then see what happens. Your outcome should improve that way unless this is something birthdate driven -- including a discrepancy between federal databases and other databases/submissions.

I really can't wait too see what happens when there is a Snowden-type whistleblower that more publicly exposes this TSA PreCheck nonsense for what it is.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Janus
The PreCheck approval/denial happens during the Secure Flight processing (i.e. 48 hours prior to departure). So by the time you check-in, your PreCheck status is already locked-in.

Note, when PreCheck first rolled out, some airlines had issues printing the barcodes with the correct PreCheck status on certain types of boarding pass printers. That issue has long been resolved.
Not sure this is the case. I think if you get an agent to uncheck you and you check in again it can trigger PC. But as of this AM I was 0/6 the past few weeks.

Originally Posted by CJKatl
This happened to me in May. You can go back and look at the posts. It's happened to many of us.

It's likely something has happened with the way your name is entered in the Secure Data fields. You cannot change those fields online. Call DL's IT - the number that's listed by that field - and make them change your name. For many of us, it's the first name being listed as "BillyD" instead of "Billy D" or "Billy Dee" or first name "Billy" with middle name "Dee" that seems to be the issue. For others, it's just some mystery invisible character that seems to disappear when DL changes the name.

DL will insist it's not their fault (it is) and that changing the name does nothing. (for most, it solves the issue.) Just insist that they humor you and do it. This will usually fix the problem.

I went from close to 100% (all but once) to zero on eight to ten flights over a two week period and back up to 100% on my ~40 flights since.

Another possible culprit: many of us are so used to our secure information auto-populating when purchasing tickets, that we don't double check that it's there each time. A coworker thinks her issue was caused by her not making sure the information was there when she purchased her tickets,
Seems about right. My MI is still loading on DL, and I have my TA always append my MI to my first name, so my BP always appears as <LN, FNMI>. But this has worked for awhile, so I suspected a change on DL's end. In the old days you could change your own secure flight data.

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The Feds have some kind of additional name and birthdate related checks going on that are at least somewhat different than they were before, with the difference more pronounced for those who are not using a fed-provided known traveler number. This has been hitting non-Pre and Pre pax too.

Do you have a GE number? If so, get that number inputed correctly into the KT field and have the name on the ticket spelled in the same way as the passport with family name as last name and the given name in the first name field; and then see what happens. Your outcome should improve that way unless this is something birthdate driven -- including a discrepancy between federal databases and other databases/submissions.

I really can't wait too see what happens when there is a Snowden-type whistleblower that more publicly exposes this TSA PreCheck nonsense for what it is.
Well, solved now. Just got GE approved. Had DM line uncheck me for my flight and add my GE number, rechecked in and now PC is showing. ^
Old Sep 24, 2013, 8:20 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles PM, Starwood SPG Platinum, Hilton HH Honors, UA MP Silver, EK Skywards Silver
Fortunately I've had good luck with PC, but I also have GE so I'm assuming that's a reason why.

One question though, does anyone know why on intl flights arriving into the U.S. with an onwards destination anywhere else, there are no PC lanes at airports? I usually fly through ATL and JFK when coming back from an Intl segment, I have PC printed on my boarding pass, but it's the regular security check since there appear to be no PC lanes after you clear immigration/passport control, customs, and re-check your bag for your connection. Is this the case at every airport for intl arrivals? Am I missing something here?
Old Sep 24, 2013, 9:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by CJKatl
I was on OAK the other day. When I got the three beeps, the TSA agent told me they were opening theirs very soon, too. The agents had their training a couple days earlier.
For your sake, I hope they do better than SFO. It supposedly has Pre, but it was broken yesterday.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 2:06 am

Programs: Marriott LT Platinum+Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, Delta Plat, United Silver, AX Biz Cent
Originally Posted by sethb
For your sake, I hope they do better than SFO. It supposedly has Pre, but it was broken yesterday.
I went through SFO last week on VX, got 3-beeps, but was told that precheck was broken then as well.

Hope this isn't always the case as I have a few more SFO trips in my future.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 5:14 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by jackal
First I've heard of this. What's your source on the 48-hour thing?
This website. Search around, you'll find references to the 48 hour processing.

Just to be clear, ALL flights get processed via Secure Flight, regardless of when booked. If you book a ticket weeks/months in advance, Secure Flight runs 48 hours before departure. If you purchase a ticket <48 hours in advance, the Secure Flight is processed on the spot. The response from Secure Flight is what controllers if you're on the No Fly / SSSS list. It also returns the PreCheck status.

Sorry for not being clear before. My point was that the average flyer will have already had a PreCheck determination made prior to check-in. So how you check-in has no impact to PreCheck status. Obviously, if you bought a ticket same-day, then ticketing, the Secure Flight check, and Check-in all happen within a few minutes of each other.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 5:48 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Has anyone else noticed that they are using new scanners at some airports that don't do three beeps, even with pre?
Old Sep 25, 2013, 5:55 am

Programs: DL DM, AA GE, CP ED
Has anyone else noticed that they are using new scanners at some airports that don't do three beeps, even with pre?
Scanners at RDU look to be the same as others but they do not beep. Probably a localized choice? Every time I clear there, I can't help but go "beep, beep, beep" in my head.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by sethb
Sorry to hear, but I'm actually chuckling. I was feeling sorry for myself having to go through OAK because there was no Pre-Check, but it turned out there also was no line at security, so despite having to take off my shoes and jacket, it was painless. Guess that's why sometimes you have to thank the PTB for unanswered prayers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.