Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DCA/MSN Nonstop Done as of February 1st?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DCA/MSN Nonstop Done as of February 1st?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by kellyjo7
Does anyone know if DCA-GRR is slated to end?
That's getting cut in July.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:39 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
If your initials aren't ATL, LGA, JFK and to a lesser degree DTW and SLC you don't matter; you're not part of the masterplan
Old Jan 6, 2012, 11:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Vuelos
Does this surprise ANYONE!!? They cut DCA-BOS and the slots that were given to US required the cutting of flights. DCA will become a to-hub focus city with a few extra 'spokes'. This is the model DL seems to use on a regular basis with major cities (look at MCO for example).
When will the BOS-DCA cuts take place?
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:26 pm

Originally Posted by BOSFish
When will the BOS-DCA cuts take place?
25 March 2012.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
It should be about providing a Skyteam presence. If DL is not willing to entertain BOS-DCA, it may imply that many people will be forced to switch from Skyteam to e.g. Star.
Suppose your travel is DCA-BOS and IAD-AMS. Before the change, your alliance could have been Skyteam or Star. After the change, only Star is a real option. Now, not only did DL loose a customer DCA-BOS, but it also lost a customer IAD-AMS.
You lose customers, you don't loose them.

The reality is that DL can't serve every possible customer on every possible route. Ditto for UA, US, AA, B6, WN, or anyone else. Just as someone who flies DCA-BOS and IAD-AMS may now be inclined to switch to a different alliance, someone that flies BOS-AMS and BOS-ATL would have a lot of incentive to fly DL, rather than US, UA, or any other *A carrier. Does that mean UA needs to launch frequent flights on BOS-ATL and begin TATL service on BOS-AMS/CDG/LHR simply so that they don't lose customers to DL/SkyTeam? DL has a business to run. That business is making money. It is not about having a lot of red lines on a route map.

DL is doubling down on NYC. Frankly, I think that is the right move. Others may disagree, but when the alternative was to still lag *A in DC-area departures AND be limited by capacity constraints in NYC, I think DL made the right choice.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 7:47 pm

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
I just hope DL would pick up LGA-ITH..... I know it doesn't matter for most, but that makes me to be able to connect through LGA to BOS and other new england locations rather than doing the none-sense routing through DTW (by the way ITH-DTW-BOS isn't even a valid routing on DL).
Old Jan 7, 2012, 12:50 am
Suspended

I have to assume that doubling down on NYC is in the best interest of DL. Notwithstanding, I'm still somewhat displeased with the loss of BOS-DCA.

It also just appears to me how weak AA has become, considering the now-starting expansion of DL at LGA. Perhaps not the right forum to discuss this, but what exactly DOES AA has left? DFW?? lol
AA even lost part of LHR to DL with the new BOS-LHR and MIA-LHR flights.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 8:59 am

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by akonradi
That's getting cut in July.
Also picked up by F9 this week.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 9:31 am

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
Originally Posted by pbarnette
You lose customers, you don't loose them.

As a business "You lose customers", if you have loose relationships with them!
Old Jan 7, 2012, 10:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: AMEX Plat, AA EXP, DL Diamond Medallion, US, B6, SPG Gold,Marriott Gold,Hilton Gold,Starbucks Gold
Delta, you sons of *****es, that effects me tons! I did DCA-BOS 16x total last year and 12 of the flights were on Delta last year.

The connection to DTW/LGA is going to be annoying but awesome from the additional MQMs aspect but still! Guess I'll just have to fly United out of IAD on that route. I can't commit to USless Airways and Jetblue's(B6) frequent flier program isn't so rewarding, in fact it SUCKS!
Old Jan 8, 2012, 12:02 am
Suspended

I think the FF program of B6 is pretty decent. Besides, you can credit the B6 flights to AA if you want to.
I checked fares BOS-DTW/LGA-DCA and they are DOUBLE what the competition charges for BOS-DCA direct. Not to mention that adding a layover will double the travel time as well.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:53 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Firstly, as regards the thread topic, I have no doubt that MSN<->DCA was profitable, if not highly profitable. The profitablilty of one route in particular has to be weighed aginst the opportunity gained to Delta by pursuing greater monopolistic concentration and hence pricing power in the highly profitable New York/LGA market. The LGA strategy was no doubt a high-level executive decision and MSN is a pawn.

In a similiar vein, I'm sure that a few of the small midwest cities that Delta cancelled were profitable, if not highly profitable. They just did not fit with some Atlanta MBA suit's macro worldview to get rid of the Saabs and to get rid of Mesaba.

Secondly, BOS<-DCA is less clear. B6 no doubt killed yields on this route. The good news is that those affected by Delta's dropping of this route at least have several nonstop alternatives. You don't fit in with Delta masterplan.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by krpjr
The connection to DTW/LGA is going to be annoying but awesome from the additional MQMs aspect but still! Guess I'll just have to fly United out of IAD on that route. I can't commit to USless Airways and Jetblue's(B6) frequent flier program isn't so rewarding, in fact it SUCKS!
Ain't no way, shape, or form that LGA is a hub. LGA is for New Yorkers and for those bound to New York. Those adding connections in LGA vice a BOS nonstop must be masochists.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Pit xlga stl ?!

Originally Posted by hazelrah
Ain't no way, shape, or form that LGA is a hub. LGA is for New Yorkers and for those bound to New York. Those adding connections in LGA vice a BOS nonstop must be masochists.
Looking at PIT-STL, I see five XLGA itins on GoJet or Shuttle-GoJet.

Sadists feeding those masochists. Extra miles, though.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by AKC6
Looking at PIT-STL, I see five XLGA itins on GoJet or Shuttle-GoJet.

Sadists feeding those masochists. Extra miles, though.
Not a route I frequent, but I took a look and see them too, wow just wow. A 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 flight vice 2 hours non-stop. Life's too short.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.