Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DCA/MSN Nonstop Done as of February 1st?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DCA/MSN Nonstop Done as of February 1st?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Vuelos
Does this surprise ANYONE!!? They cut DCA-BOS and the slots that were given to US required the cutting of flights.
Arguably, they cut "BOS-DCA". Thus, so much for BOS being a focus city.
I think it is a BIG mistake as there is a lot of $$$ between BOS-DCA due to government-research initiatives.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by akonradi
IND-DCA is getting cut in July.
Works for me.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:20 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by dieuwer2

I think it is a BIG mistake as there is a lot of $$$ between BOS-DCA due to government-research initiatives.
BOS-AMS/LHR/CDG will survive without the DCA feed... The government O/D traffic has to be somewhat profitable but guess it's not as profitable as it once was. That or not required to keep corporate contracts in either market.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:39 pm
Suspended

BOS-AMS/LHR/CDG will survive without the DCA feed... The government O/D traffic has to be somewhat profitable but guess it's not as profitable as it once was. That or not required to keep corporate contracts in either market.
Not complaining about international options. I think it's great DL added LHR. But cutting DCA seems a bit odd.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Not complaining about international options. I think it's great DL added LHR. But cutting DCA seems a bit odd.
Think you missed the overall point... DL sees no need to focus at DCA anymore and is keeping the Origin / Destination markets that are profitable. In order to be competitive on BOS-DCA they have to offer significant frequencies... with less slots that's probably not possible OR would come with cutting frequencies to other markets.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold
The various reduction in service to DCA because of the slot swap has been trickling in. Does anyone know of a complete list?
Old Jan 5, 2012, 3:52 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
25 mins in MKE

Originally Posted by SamOF
Really? I don't remember them flying that route nonstop. What years?
Not non-stop but a through flight in 2*2 DC-9's, sometimes westbound and often eastbound, maybe '85-'94. MKE ground time was 25 minutes (fewer carry-ons), so you rarely got off the plane.

Enough nostalgia. Back to our regularly scheduled programming. A wise old flyer once told me, The DCA routes tend to get reshuffled after each election. Haven't kept track, but it makes sense.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 6:29 am

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue
With Delta cutting flights to DC out of Boston, that means I need to refocus my travel. Looks like I will only be flying to Delta hubs. Otherwise it will be United, US Airways or JetBlue. It's quite disappointing how much service has been cut from Boston by Delta.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 6:35 am

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Originally Posted by AUDirt
Also, I suspect that there was just something about the random Tuesday in Feb that I picked for my test search. The return leg the following day had the standard three non-stop options.
something weird is up with MEM today -- expertflyer shows two daily BOS-MEM flights, and zero daily MEM-BOS flights, for the last week of march. this is particularly interesting to me, since delta.com still shows me confirmed on a MEM-BOS flight that week.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 7:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BOSstorageguy
With Delta cutting flights to DC out of Boston, that means I need to refocus my travel. Looks like I will only be flying to Delta hubs. Otherwise it will be United, US Airways or JetBlue. It's quite disappointing how much service has been cut from Boston by Delta.
+1
Old Jan 6, 2012, 7:19 am
formerly plenTpak

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by akonradi
IND-DCA is getting cut in July.
This is going to drive ticket $$ high to IND. Hopefully Delta's exit means Jetblue serving new markets out of DCA.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 7:41 am

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by plenTpak
This is going to drive ticket $$ high to IND. Hopefully Delta's exit means Jetblue serving new markets out of DCA.
I sure hope so. The SkyClub rep last Saturday said she had no idea the flights were being cut to DCA and that they'd been told they'd at least have one, maybe two per day because it is a profitable route...

That said, prices are creeping up out of IND and a new carrier (since we've technically lost three through mergers since the new terminal opened) would be mighty nice.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
With B6 & US flying to DCA, plus WN & B6 to BWI, plus UA to IAD, I suspect yields on BOS-DCA are in the toilet. Heck, you can buy a one-way ticket for today for only $200. One ways for the Monday after next are $72. These seem to be the normal fares in my experience. One should also remember that the competitors run quite a few frequencies; it is hard to compete with only one or two flights, so why waste the slots? I'm not that surprised DL is dropping the route, though it is a bit of a bummer for BOS-based flyers.

There may be a lot of passengers on the route, but that isn't the same thing as being profitable.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 8:18 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pbarnette
There may be a lot of passengers on the route, but that isn't the same thing as being profitable.
It should be about providing a Skyteam presence. If DL is not willing to entertain BOS-DCA, it may imply that many people will be forced to switch from Skyteam to e.g. Star.
Suppose your travel is DCA-BOS and IAD-AMS. Before the change, your alliance could have been Skyteam or Star. After the change, only Star is a real option. Now, not only did DL loose a customer DCA-BOS, but it also lost a customer IAD-AMS.
Old Jan 6, 2012, 10:49 am

DCA-GRR Status?

Does anyone know if DCA-GRR is slated to end?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.