Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DTW SkyClub hours - Christmas?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2011, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ND76
There is a sign in one of the DTW clubs that states that under Michigan law they can't serve adult beverages until after 12 noon on Sundays.

Michigan has always had somewhat odd liquor laws--when we moved there in the 1960s, there were "dry" counties and "wet" counties--for example, a large county such as Kent (Grand Rapids) forbade liquor sales on Sunday; but a neighboring county (Montcalm) allowed them--there was a restaurant called "The Steer Haus" in a little place called Sand Lake (where the main street straddled the Kent-Montcalm line) that was one day per week probably the most popular restaurant in West Michigan, as it was the closest bar to Grand Rapids on Sundays.

Also, private liquor stores cannot call themselves "liquor stores" (Michigan had and may still have "state stores"), but rather "party stores".

Then again, Michigan legalized 18 year old drinking ("old enough to fight in Vietnam, old enough to drink booze") the year before I turned 18, while Illinois and Ohio were 19 states and Indiana stayed at 21.
I've always wondered why Michigan had signs that said Party Store or packaged stores.

I have lived in Ohio all my life and we also had a couple odd liquor laws. Until around 81 we had low beer and you had to be 18 to buy that and there was high beer (I can't remember the alcohol content between low and high beer) and you had to be 21 to buy anything else. Then we elminated low and high beer and the laws were changed for 19 for any beer and malt drinks and 21 for everything else and then we faced losing highway federal money we had to change the laws to 21 for everything.

I didn't drink until I was in my 20s, but I remember people in high school and college driving to Michigan due to more lenient laws. I also remember in college people under 21 driving to windsor for harder stuff
Old Dec 24, 2011, 8:28 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I've always wondered why Michigan had signs that said Party Store or packaged stores.
Michigan liquour laws are some of the more straight forward in the nation.

I've lived in Michigan my whole life, and I don't think I ever saw "package" stores. I've only seen those in Florida. I see "Liquor Store" very frequently, though we do use the term "party store" quite a bit up here.

In Michigan, you can buy alcohol:

Mon-Sat from 7:00am - 2:00am.
Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:00am (unless they establishment pays a small fee, then they may start at 7:00.)

For Christmas, they are not allowed to sell alcohol from 9pm on December 24th until 7:00am on December 26th, unless December 26th falls on a Sunday, in which normal sunday practices are followed.

You can buy beer/liquour/wine at liquor stores, party stores, grocery stores.

I'll never forget the nonsense of Nashville TN, where you can buy ONLY beer on Sundays. Oh, and you can't buy liqour and mixers in the same store, nor can you buy wine and a corkscrew in the same store.

All that being said, I don't know if they'll have alcohol on Christmas... State law seems to forbid SELLING it, but I don't know if that is the same. I think in Michigan, it is.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Christmas restriction was changed with the Sunday morning change. Alcohol can now be sold until midnight Christmas eve and sales can resume at noon on Christmas day. The fee for Sunday morning sales is $160.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by james318
Michigan liquour laws are some of the more straight forward in the nation.

I've lived in Michigan my whole life, and I don't think I ever saw "package" stores. I've only seen those in Florida. I see "Liquor Store" very frequently, though we do use the term "party store" quite a bit up here.

In Michigan, you can buy alcohol:

Mon-Sat from 7:00am - 2:00am.
Sunday: 12:00pm - 2:00am (unless they establishment pays a small fee, then they may start at 7:00.)

For Christmas, they are not allowed to sell alcohol from 9pm on December 24th until 7:00am on December 26th, unless December 26th falls on a Sunday, in which normal sunday practices are followed.

You can buy beer/liquour/wine at liquor stores, party stores, grocery stores.

I'll never forget the nonsense of Nashville TN, where you can buy ONLY beer on Sundays. Oh, and you can't buy liqour and mixers in the same store, nor can you buy wine and a corkscrew in the same store.

All that being said, I don't know if they'll have alcohol on Christmas... State law seems to forbid SELLING it, but I don't know if that is the same. I think in Michigan, it is.
In A2, I have seen the words "party store" or "package store" before. I do like how you can buy it in a grocery store there. In Ohio, if a grocery store like kroger has an agency license it is in it's own different area and all alcohol has to be paid for at that register. Alabama has some strange laws, you can't buy low alcohol spirits like Baileys in a grocery store.

Is Michigan still trying to get the law change to extend alcohol until something like 4 a.m.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LBJ
The Christmas restriction was changed with the Sunday morning change. Alcohol can now be sold until midnight Christmas eve and sales can resume at noon on Christmas day. The fee for Sunday morning sales is $160.
So Delta has no problem selling $89 punch cards for five visits or charging an arm and a leg for their "premium drinks" but they are too cheap to pay a $160 fee for Sunday morning liquor sales?
Old Dec 25, 2011, 7:11 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
So Delta has no problem selling $89 punch cards for five visits or charging an arm and a leg for their "premium drinks" but they are too cheap to pay a $160 fee for Sunday morning liquor sales?
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.