Wiki Posts
Search

DTW SkyClub hours - Christmas?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:02 am
Original Poster

Location: MHT, DL DM & now KM!/ formerNW Plat /HH Diamond/SPG plat
DTW SkyClub hours - Christmas?

Anyone happen to know if / when SkyClubs at DTW will operate tomorrow (Christmas Day).
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by kathnunley
Anyone happen to know if / when SkyClubs at DTW will operate tomorrow (Christmas Day).
According to Delta.com:

***Please note during the Holidays our flight schedules are often adjusted and Club hours may change to match those flight schedules. In each airport, there will always be at least one Delta Sky Club open 1 hour prior to the first Delta departure and until the last Delta flight departs for the day. ***
My guess would be Center A only.

Link
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:10 am

Programs: DL KM (charter)
Every time I have connected via any DL hub during Christmas Day, there has been at least 1 SC open to give me more free booze.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:19 am
Suspended

DTW SC

Originally Posted by james318
According to Delta.com:

My guess would be Center A only.

Link
And IMHO this is the best of the domestic SCs. I love the cubbies to hide in with my laptop, self-service drinks, the showers, and the solid staff.

Happy Holidays.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I've never flown on Christmas, but the holidays I have flown the north and south clubs are closed and the Main and the b/c clubs are open.

It would be nice if Delta would post those hours on their skyclub site. Of course they that the BNA SC is open until 8 or 8:30 PM and when I flew thrhough there in November with a layover at BNA flying WN, I took a pretty good hike over ot the SC to send an email during my layover to find out they close at 6
Old Dec 24, 2011, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
And IMHO this is the best of the domestic SCs. I love the cubbies to hide in with my laptop, self-service drinks, the showers, and the solid staff.

Happy Holidays.
Cubbies are history. Only ones with them at DTW are North and south SC"s and I thinkthose will be history soonas well, and so will the self service drinks according to a couple agents.

Too bad Delta is ruining the DTW clubs. I liked them a lot better whe they were NW WC's. ONLY improvements delta has made was to replace pepsi products with coke, and Sky vodka is an imrpovement over the vodka NW had
Old Dec 24, 2011, 12:37 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by immiLawyer
Every time I have connected via any DL hub during Christmas Day, there has been at least 1 SC open to give me more free booze.
Not if you're flying before noon -- Michigan has changed it's liquor laws to allow sales of adult beverages before noon on Sundays, but the facility has to be an extra fee.

Delta has the money to 'modernize' it's clubs, but as far as I know, chose not to pay the fee.

Bob H
Old Dec 24, 2011, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Cubbies are history. Only ones with them at DTW are North and south SC"s and I thinkthose will be history soonas well
You are correct. I sent a pointed complaint to DL about the elimination of all the workstations and received this reply from one of the higher ups in the SC Dept:

"Through our research we found that our members and guests wanted and needed additional power and these ("Cyberbar") installations provide us that opportunity."

Apparently they feel that a small, backless and plastic barstool on a narrow marble bar with minimal workspace beats a nice padded chair and cubicle with (at least) two power outlets each that are within easy reach.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hockeystl
You are correct. I sent a pointed complaint to DL about the elimination of all the workstations and received this reply from one of the higher ups in the SC Dept:

"Through our research we found that our members and guests wanted and needed additional power and these ("Cyberbar") installations provide us that opportunity."

Apparently they feel that a small, backless and plastic barstool on a narrow marble bar with minimal workspace beats a nice padded chair and cubicle with (at least) two power outlets each that are within easy reach.
I wonder if the customers they "researched" this with are the same ones that want the "premium" drinks. I like the cubicles for a couple reason. Main one is that I feel there is a little bit of privacy if I typing or reading firm related email. If I want to make a phone call I would rather do it in the cubbies instead of out in the open. I think my conversation is more private that way and I don't feel like I am disturbing those around me as well when I am on my phone in the work area. And like you said the workspace chairs are more comfortable.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BobH
Not if you're flying before noon -- Michigan has changed it's liquor laws to allow sales of adult beverages before noon on Sundays, but the facility has to be an extra fee.

Delta has the money to 'modernize' it's clubs, but as far as I know, chose not to pay the fee.

Bob H
I wonder if the SC's can even serve on Christmas day with Michigans liquor laws. I know on Christmas Eve the laws don't allow alcohol sales after either 6 or 8 p.m. (cat remember which it is) I was at MGM a few years ago with a friend on Christmas eve and they had to stop serving at 6 or 8 p.m. I am sure the skyclubs will have to stop the alcohol after then as well.

Not sure what time the SC's start having alcohol on sunday.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 2:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't know the specifics of Michigan, but in most states the rules for the sale of alcoholic drinks are different from the rules for a business to give alcoholic drinks out for free. There is also the issue of whether airport lounges are considered to be private clubs.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't know the specifics of Michigan, but in most states the rules for the sale of alcoholic drinks are different from the rules for a business to give alcoholic drinks out for free. There is also the issue of whether airport lounges are considered to be private clubs.
In Michigan the rule for private clubs is the same as public places --

Bob H
Old Dec 24, 2011, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I know when I take a redeye into DTW and go into the SC after landing there is never any alcohol out when I get in there around 6 a.m. but when I have an early morning flight out of DTW and am in the SC around 7:30 there is alcohol out, so I am figuring the SC has the same rules for serving as a bar or restaurant (they can only serve after 7 a.m.) If a flight were to leave DTW before 7 a.m. I am not sure if the Passenger could request a PDB of a bloody mary or not.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 5:33 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit

Happy Holidays.
"Cubbies" are gone; renovations are going on in there presently.
Old Dec 24, 2011, 5:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Prfrence
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I know when I take a redeye into DTW and go into the SC after landing there is never any alcohol out when I get in there around 6 a.m. but when I have an early morning flight out of DTW and am in the SC around 7:30 there is alcohol out, so I am figuring the SC has the same rules for serving as a bar or restaurant (they can only serve after 7 a.m.) If a flight were to leave DTW before 7 a.m. I am not sure if the Passenger could request a PDB of a bloody mary or not.
There is a sign in one of the DTW clubs that states that under Michigan law they can't serve adult beverages until after 12 noon on Sundays.

Michigan has always had somewhat odd liquor laws--when we moved there in the 1960s, there were "dry" counties and "wet" counties--for example, a large county such as Kent (Grand Rapids) forbade liquor sales on Sunday; but a neighboring county (Montcalm) allowed them--there was a restaurant called "The Steer Haus" in a little place called Sand Lake (where the main street straddled the Kent-Montcalm line) that was one day per week probably the most popular restaurant in West Michigan, as it was the closest bar to Grand Rapids on Sundays.

Also, private liquor stores cannot call themselves "liquor stores" (Michigan had and may still have "state stores"), but rather "party stores".

Then again, Michigan legalized 18 year old drinking ("old enough to fight in Vietnam, old enough to drink booze") the year before I turned 18, while Illinois and Ohio were 19 states and Indiana stayed at 21.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.