Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

FAA rules: Airline pilots must fly shorter shifts, rest more

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAA rules: Airline pilots must fly shorter shifts, rest more

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:07 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by oh912flyer
5-6 hrs is enough sleep. They are not working 7 days a week. (Or even 5 for that matter for most of them.) Remember, there are TWO people in the cockpit.

The FAA's own report did not identify fatigue as a problem in the Colgan air crash.

Even the FAA's
Fact: you'd likely want a drunk pilot compared to a sleep deprived one. 5-6 hours is not enough sleep, particularly over time. The body develops what's called "sleep debt," which can build and significantly affect performance. Research continues to show that this is a fact. I've experienced sleep deprivation while flying related to stress and school, in a non-punitive situation (aka my job doesn't depend on it) with an instructor onboard, and experienced many of the symptoms first-hand. It was a poor decision on my part, and one that I vowed to never make again after micro-sleeping through a checkpoint on a cross country. Had my instructor not asked me a question, I hate to venture a guess as to what might've happened.

Originally Posted by mother-
The sad thing is that there are probably enough furloughed pilots out there to handle this increase.

The employment market for pilots in the US has been a real cluster since 2001...
AA's bankruptcy will throw a wrench into things, but the market has been brisk for pilots in the last year. Those that meet the minimum requirements are being hired, and it's flowing through the system--a ton of pilots retiring (5 years after the age 65 rule went into effect), foreign opportunities, and general attrition makes for a fairly solid hiring environment. Current research shows that the attrition rate for pilots is ~7%. Some is medical-related, some work related, but a growing number (about 1/2) are now due to retirements. That number is only forecasted to grow.

I understand the difficulty of the situation Skoker, realizing that this NPRM is needed. The "other" NPRM (pilot flight hour rules) completely misses the mark IMHO.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL PM
With a 10 hour rest period, there's far more chance the pilot hits the bar when he/she gets to the hotel as they now have a "couple of extra hours".
Really? That's your arguement? The window to drink would be mighty narrow without risking his/her certificate.

So what did we fix exactly?
Perhaps this.
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by ikonos
If only the exec compensation is more in line with what they are worth instead of the so called "on par with industry standards", there will be more money for training, maintenance etc and wont have to bleed money and gut benefits.

I don't mind paying more for safer travel or to breathe cleaner air. Prevention requires fewer resources than remedy.
Not to derail this thread, but if you look at airline management compensation levels, it is toward the bottom of the average compared to other industries. Granted, I am biased as I do work at the corporate office for a major US airline, but to say to cut the management "fat" is an oversimplification.

Back to the point, I'm glad to see this come into play. From a large airline standpoint, I'm not sure how much of an impact it will have, as the large carriers tend to have flight deck contracts that don't push for bare minimums. Where it should help safety even more is on the regional side, where the standups, etc. are something that seems dicey (for those not knowing, a standup is when a crew works a flight, has a quick overnight, then back after about a 5-6 hour layover, thus staying under their total duty time, but not getting much sleep at all).
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:20 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion
Originally Posted by runninaway
Really? That's your arguement? The window to drink would be mighty narrow without risking his/her certificate.
That's no smoking within 8 hours of flight and no drinking within 500 feet of the airplane, right?

The regulations say "under the influence of alcohol." Case law says that being hungover still counts as being "under the influence!"
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:31 pm

Programs: none
You can absolutely guarantee that this proposal will NOT reduce any alrline's cost of doing business

At the very best it will only increase the costs slightly, at worst it increases costs a lot

Guess who pays
Old Dec 21, 2011, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
Originally Posted by skoker
....I really don't care if it delays flights or creates a scheduling hassle for airlines or if route/crew optimization cost money. We're talking about people LIVES here.
While I appreciate the sentiment, nothing in life is risk free and spending increasingly large sums of money to achieve increasingly small safety increases isn't always the best approach.

If airfares were to increase or delays get worse, a lot of people could decide to drive rather than fly. If that were to happen, the regulation would have the opposite effect of what was intended: instead of preventing another 50 deaths in hypothetical RJ crashes, an additional 50+ people die on the motorways each year.

I don't know enough about crew rest issues to weigh in on this specific issue, but additional regulations in the name of 'safety' are not always a net positive, and I know people never seem to consider the unintended consequences to rule changes and additional regulation before implementation.

Just my $.02
Old Dec 21, 2011, 11:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by skoker
I really don't care if it delays flights or creates a scheduling hassle for airlines or if route/crew optimization cost money. We're talking about people LIVES here.
And there's no room for debate that this regulatory change might not prevent the next Colgan crash?

Pilots sometimes screw up. Occasionally, those screwups result in loss of life, like the 50 who died in BUF because a couple of pilots screwed up. Like the 49 who died in DL 5191 because the Comair pilots attempted to take off from the wrong runway. Like the 265 who died on AA587 when the first officer stepped so hard on the rudder pedal that the vertical stabilizer broke off. To be sure, we should try to learn from the mistakes of others to try to prevent repeats.

It's possible that this change will only increase costs and not increase safety, regardless of how offensive you find that argument.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 12:39 am

I guess I should throw in the disclaimer that I have a bit of a personal connection to the issue. That could have very easily been my backyard that N200WQ took out, had BUF been landing on 5 that night and not on 23 like they were, the aircraft would have landed pretty damn close. I was working at BUF that night, those familiar with the crash know that DL-1998 was one of the key flights that ATC was talking to trying to figure out what happened there, as I sat in our dispatch office listening to our radio uplink, I heard the whole thing play out and we freaked because we at first thought it was our flight that was involved. Of course, it wasn't, but 1998 was my flight to meet that night. Deplaning was quiet. The pax really knew something was up, but weren't really sure what, and the crew were absolutely white and left without saying a word. Our MD-88 arrived into gate 25, that Q400 was due into the gate next to us, and we were very close to the CO ground ops folks, and I silently did myself upstairs, chugging away at DLTerm closing out the flight and dealing with some ACARS stuff, and then went on the ramp and watched as half the ramp looked to the east, waiting to see something. We watched as the airport exploded with activity, the BUF ARFF (Aircraft rescue and firefighting) crews all sprung to action, and started to make their way to the crash site. Transit Police more or less deserted the airport to head over, and a group of TSA guys went too.

I made my way up front to the FTO with some of the CO folks, where everybody waiting for pax off of 3407 had assembled. At this point, the media had started to arrive, and the LERAP (Local emergency response action plan) was activated. We got access to the US Airways Club on the concourse, and as planned, a family reception center was set up there. No cameras allowed. We were fed updates from various local first responders, but families seemed to know more than we did through cell phones, etc. It was not a pretty site. By soon enough, morning had come, and the airport sprung to life, so the county set up with the Red Cross an assembly area at the Cheektowaga Senior Center and we shuttled everybody there. By then, I was exhausted, and went home and got some semblance of sleep. When I came back, things were different, but everybody acted like nothing ever happened.

That's one of those things thats like 9/11... you're forever scarred by it. It's always hard to learn of these things, I was very upset to hear about OH 5191 at the time, that was shortly before I was due to start working there. But to have it happen so close to home- literally- that's the killer.

So I apologize if I get touchy on the subject a bit, and I hope you'll all understand. It's part of the reason I'll never set foot on a Q400 either- regardless of the cause of the accident, I don't feel safe on them, and that was exacerbated by watching one land as the wheels fell off of it, same route, EWR-BUF, same airport, same runway.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:07 am

You are more likely to be killed driving to the airport than on the plane.
Commercial truck drivers have rest requirements, too. Should they?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 4:11 am

5-6 hrs is enough sleep. They are not working 7 days a week. (Or even 5 for that matter for most of them.) Remember, there are TWO people in the cockpit.

The FAA's own report did not identify fatigue as a problem in the Colgan air crash.
There was a runway overrun at TVC prior to which the captain was talking about how tired he was.

The same thing is almost certainly true of the AA crash at LIT.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 5:22 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
It will most certainly have an impact on the ASAs, Pinnacles, etc. of the industry and therefore on Delta.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 6:17 am

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
Do airline pilots earn their salary by an hourly rate of butt in seat? If so, will this result in a new pay decrease?
Old Dec 22, 2011, 7:14 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Originally Posted by Tomphot
Do airline pilots earn their salary by an hourly rate of butt in seat? If so, will this result in a new pay decrease?
It will result in some of them having longer 'trips' than before, but it should be by hours, not days.
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by runninaway
Please, don't quote half of what I say to make a point. I explicitly said not a DRUNK pilot. Simply the fact he/she doesn't go to bed and hits the bar to relax (drinking SODA) creates the same effect - tired!

Or, the pilot lands 2 hrs earlier the day before (because he has the 6am flight), and decides that since the mall is still open, he'll go and buy his wife a gift.

I understand about loss of life, believe me. My point, so clearly missed by you and many others, is that just because the govt. says "2 hours more between flights" DOESN'T mean two hours more sleep!
Old Dec 22, 2011, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by n301dp
5-6 hours is not enough sleep, particularly over time. The body develops what's called "sleep debt," which can build and significantly affect performance. Research continues to show that this is a fact.
Which is what the 30 hours rest period is for.

Many of us work jobs that result in less sleep during the week. That's what the weekend is for. 5-6 hours of sleep for 4-5 days isn't going to kill you. What will, is not making up for the lost sleep when you have the opportunity, which pilots have and always did.

Again, let me reiterate for those of you who choose not to read an entire post before hammering the reply button. This post was about the effect on DL. Others have correctly pointed out that this will affect the regional Delta Connection partners more than it will DL itself.

I happen to believe that this change will do nothing to affect safety (crashes in the US are rare, thank God) but will increase costs for the paying pax.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.