Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Redeeming SkyMiles on Korean Airlines

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: Delta
We have twice used skymiles on KAL to southeast asia destinations in Prestige. Both times availability was not a significant question. You need to look early on with some flexibility and you can find flights... recently it seems to be less difficult to get 2 tkts at the same time due to 380 lax-icn flights than was previously the issue with other Korean aircraft types.

But Delta reservations does seem to be able to find those flights. If you get someone who doesn't seem to know what they are talking about, just hang up and try again. I think making reservations on KAL, as early as you can, before the dates you want, is important... and if seats are available it is not with inflated miles like you find with many flights (at least that's been my experience). ICN by the way is a great airport and relatively easy to manuever and make connections throughout asia and perhaps other destinations like Aus, etc.

Interestly the biggest problem has been the connection from SLC to LAX at the basic 1st class rate (had to fly coach to keep the skymiles at minimun).
We are flying on the 380 in February returning in March. 380 was scheduled to only fly 3 times a week, but I think that's been changed to daily for now. You might want to click on KAL forum to get other flyers experience with their 380 with a couple of great photo/video accounts as well.
Old Nov 27, 2011, 3:53 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by KP2006
check the blackout dates and then use EF to look up availability. Call DL and tell the agent dates and flight numbers. DL inventory is more restrictive than KE so you can get a head start on what to look at. Hang up and call back if the DL agent is incompetent.
EF doesn't have KE award availability, just upgrade inventory.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 11:58 am

Programs: SPG Gold; AccorAdvantage Gold; Skymiles
Will DL silver get an upgrade in KE?

Hi all,
I may have a good shot of being a silver member with DL skymiles this year with 1 more flight to go, but I'm contemplating if getting silver is worth my money, since I fly KE more than DL metal most of the time.

Does anyone know that as silver member, will the upgrade benefits at DL also apply to sky team members such as KE?

For example, if I buy a Y, does that qualify me a biz class upgrade just like in DL flights? And what are the chances if I'm on deeply discounted prices such as Q, can I have a slight expectation to be upgraded at the gate?

I've seen some people got upgraded as the gate during my FUK-ICN flight recently, but just not sure whether they were it's own skypass members or what...
Need your expert comments here. Thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by yjames83
For example, if I buy a Y, does that qualify me a biz class upgrade just like in DL flights? And what are the chances if I'm on deeply discounted prices such as Q, can I have a slight expectation to be upgraded at the gate? Thanks!
Delta does not upgrade (for free) any class of International ticket. Y/B/M is eligible to use mules/SWUs but that is it.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Delta does not upgrade (for free) any class of International ticket. Y/B/M is eligible to use mules/SWUs but that is it.
If the person buys a full Y fare, DL miles can be used to obtain a SkyTeam upgrade, confirmable in advance. How KE treats DL elites with respect to OPUPs is anyone's guess, but I would imagine that OPUPs are not very frequent on KE.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If the person buys a full Y fare, DL miles can be used to obtain a SkyTeam upgrade, confirmable in advance. How KE treats DL elites with respect to OPUPs is anyone's guess, but I would imagine that OPUPs are not very frequent on KE.
I took the info about the "upgrades at the gate" to mean ala UDU.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Yes, but using SWU or miles on YBM fares can only be done on DL, AF, or KL metal. No other UG options exist on any partner unless original ticket is in J.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: WN,DL,AA,UA,B6,more!
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Often? How many times have you had this experience directly?
This has happened to me at least 5 times.

I call a lot to get KE availability becuase DL's flight times from SE Asia are horrible. Not to mention 3x as many miles needed...

This is a common occurrence.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:06 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Diamond, TK Elite, Air Berlin Gold, HHonors Gold, Club Carlson Silver
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Yes, but using SWU or miles on YBM fares can only be done on DL, AF, or KL metal. No other UG options exist on any partner unless original ticket is in J.
Not truth.
You can upgrade with miles full fare economy ticket on almost all SkyTeam carriers, including KE: http://www.skyteam.com/en/Why-SkyTea...-Redeem-Miles/
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:23 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Originally Posted by xmurphy
Not truth.
You can upgrade with miles full fare economy ticket on almost all SkyTeam carriers, including KE: http://www.skyteam.com/en/Why-SkyTea...-Redeem-Miles/
No argument, but alas from my limited checks a Y fare on KE makes a DL M look like a bargain.
Old Dec 12, 2011, 1:29 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by foofiter
This has happened to me at least 5 times.

I call a lot to get KE availability becuase DL's flight times from SE Asia are horrible. Not to mention 3x as many miles needed...

This is a common occurrence.
Truth. I called 4 times and was quoted 360,000 miles 4 times. Then I finally got the CSA to get me KE availability and it was about a third as many miles as it was on DL. This is JFK-ICN-SE Asia-ICN-JFK
Old Dec 17, 2011, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by xmurphy
Not truth.
Wow, didn't know that. Thanks. Not sure if it is useful though as full Y is expensive, for sure swu's nay on DL, KL, or AF though.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 1:54 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by exwannabe
No argument, but alas from my limited checks a Y fare on KE makes a DL M look like a bargain.
I've seen some not too bad KE fares that book into the Y bucket on Europe-Southwest Pacific, but I'm not sure exacly what "full Y" means, since they publish more than one Y fare.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Wow, didn't know that. Thanks. Not sure if it is useful though as full Y is expensive, for sure swu's nay on DL, KL, or AF though.
The Star Alliance has a similar alliance-side upgrade program, but the fare requirement is also full-fare or near-full-fare.

Generally, alliance-wide upgrade programs are not aimed at individual price-conscious travelers such as ourselves. It is aimed at corporate travelers whose travels are paid by company, but for whatever reason could not buy business fare.

For reasonable upgrade deals on any particular airline, you almost always have to use that carrier's own miles, and not mileage from another programs.
Old Dec 19, 2011, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, BA Gold, TK Elite
Here's a general question for Korean redemption.

I'd like to do LAX-ICN-AKL-SYD-ICN-LAX. Is this possible using KE on everything except AKL-SYD? (Thinking VA for the AKL-SYD route)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.