Redeeming SkyMiles on Korean Airlines

Old Nov 25, 2011, 4:49 pm
Original Poster

Redeeming SkyMiles on Korean Airlines

I'm thinking about using my DL miles to fly business class on the new A380 LAX-ICN on KE and was wondering what website (flying blue, delta.com) would show online availability for Korean Airlines so when I call DL to book I'll be sure those flights have space?

I tried Delta.com since I know it lists AF/KL flights using miles but it doesn't show any KE services. Is that right?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 6:04 pm

You won't get it on DL.com that's for sure. Not sure about other services. Watch out for blackout dates, there are many and DLis more restrictive about KE blackout dates than KE is with its own customers.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 6:57 pm

Very difficult to do this and even calling DL is hit a miss. Some agents are more clued in than others.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I had no problem getting it. Wasn't even know about the KE A380, and was pleased to find that I had seats on it.

Just watch the blackout periods, and it's not that hard to get, in my experience.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You need to call DL. KE website shows availability using KE miles. It can be a reference but not always correct for using DL miles.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 7:06 pm

Programs: Delta Kryptonium-Platinum Medallion, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Like what people have already said, booking KE on DL is really hit or miss. I got lucky and the first agent I talked to found the availability that I saw for Feb 2012 on LAX-ICN.

Like always with Delta, try and try again and you'll eventually get a capable agent.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: Delta, United
In a chat with a Delta CSA they noted that KE was on par with AF in terms of getting awards. Neither were great. Also one issue was that often on would get an award but then two week later is was canceled because it was a black out period.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:13 pm
Original Poster

Where are the blackout periods listed?
Old Nov 25, 2011, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
Check www.koreanair.com. The peak season for KE members are blacked out for DL members. KE members pay 50% surcharge during peak season, no such option for DL members.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kinglobjaw
Lots of threads here in the DL forum on this, search is your friend.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 4:49 am

Be VERY clear with the agent that you intend on flying Korean Air- if possible, quote the flight numbers that you want him/her to look up availability for. Often agents will quote you 360K miles, then tell you that's DL metal.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by belfordrocks
Be VERY clear with the agent that you intend on flying Korean Air- if possible, quote the flight numbers that you want him/her to look up availability for. Often agents will quote you 360K miles, then tell you that's DL metal.
Often? How many times have you had this experience directly?
Old Nov 26, 2011, 6:47 am

I've had that experience just last night. Maybe 10 percent overall.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 7:11 am

Programs: DL DM, LH SEN, Mariott Titanium
check the blackout dates and then use EF to look up availability. Call DL and tell the agent dates and flight numbers. DL inventory is more restrictive than KE so you can get a head start on what to look at. Hang up and call back if the DL agent is incompetent.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 8:09 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Crown Room Club Member, United Mileage Plus, HiltonHonors
I've redeemed Skymiles twice for flights on Korean Air to New Zealand. I never had a problem, but made it a practice to call Korean first to find out availability before talking to Delta. I found it easier to have the information to simply give to the Delta agent rather than them trying to piece my itinerary together. Enjoy the trip as Korean offers a wonderful product.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.