Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Seattle (SEA): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum Connection time for Delta-Delta connections in Seattle

Domestic-domestic: 30 minutes

Domestic-international: 30 minutes

International-domestic: 1 hour
Exceptions:
  • Arriving from a Canadian airport with preclearance: 30 minutes
  • ICN-SEA-MSP: 1 hour 10 minutes
  • Any international to domestic connection* through SEA going to ATL, DEN, DTW, HNL, JFK, LAS, LAX, PDX, SFO, SJC, or SLC: 1 hour 10 minutes
* except if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, in which case the 30 minute MCT prevails. (Example: YVR-SEA-LAX would be a 30 minute MCT, not 70 minutes, since YVR has preclearance.)

International-international: 1 hour
Exceptions:
  • Arriving from a Canadian airport with preclearance: 30 minutes
  • Going to YVR or YYC: International to international MCT at SEA is 1 hour 10 minutes if you're connecting to one of those two airports
NOTE IF FLIGHT IS MARKETED AS A CODESHARE MCT CAN BE DIFFERENT.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2019, 8:55 pm

Thanks both,

single ticket & I’m mobile enough :-)

well, let’s hope for no delay on the incoming flight!
Old Dec 26, 2019, 10:18 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Keep an eye on your trip throughout the day. SFO can have delays so be prepared to make a call and get rebooked (best case may be on the non-stop).
Old Dec 26, 2019, 10:54 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, "alum" of high status with UA but not any more
There's also the matter of whether your checked baggage (if applicable) will make the connection. Baggage going on widebodies is, to my understanding, containerized, so not sure if that adds to the time needed to get a bag onboard.
Old Dec 26, 2019, 11:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by Nvgfocus
Hi all! I have a connection flying in from SFO to AMS (So US Domestic to Intercontinental) of 41 minutes in Seattle. Booked it via Delta website.
is this realistic or will it likely cause problems?
41 min is tight. Delta often pads its schedules so if you leave SFO on time, there’s a good chance you’ll arrive in SEA a little early or even if you leave SFO a little late, that you’ll arrive on time though this can’t be banked on.

Key here will be knowing back-up options in case anything does happen - either while you’re in SFO or once you get to SEA. Know the options out of SFO, such as SFO-AMS, or being rerouted via CDG. Also know the options from SEA, such as any flights to AMS or CDG (or even LHR).

Also, recommending the mods merge with this with the Maj. SEA Minimum connection time thread:
Old Dec 27, 2019, 12:57 am

Thanks all!
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:59 am

Originally Posted by Nvgfocus
Thanks all!
Just a quick update: my incoming flight landed 30 minutes after schedule, but was able to make the flight (door to door took me less than 5 minutes with some running), which was also slightly delayed due to slow boarding (about 5 minutes). 40 minutes is easily doable if no delay.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 6:30 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Arriving from ICN and connecting on a domestic flight to PSC with about 2.5 hours in SEA. Do you guys think this is enough time to squeeze in a Global Entry EoA (Enrollment on Arrival interview)?
Old Jan 27, 2020, 7:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by hikouki
Arriving from ICN and connecting on a domestic flight to PSC with about 2.5 hours in SEA. Do you guys think this is enough time to squeeze in a Global Entry EoA (Enrollment on Arrival interview)?
Seems like plenty of time to me. You should have a solid 1:45 to kill. When I did my GE interview it only took about 15 minutes
Old Jan 27, 2020, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by hikouki
Yes. The only real issue I see is if there's more than one person wanting to do EoA. Most airports it's one agents that handles these. Thus they can get backed up.
Old Jan 27, 2020, 11:24 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
Ok, thanks for the replies.

Will play this by ear then report back in April!
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:08 am

Hey everyone! Planning a Thanksgiving trip for 2020. Looking at DL flights from SNA to BNA with a 36 minute layover in SEA on the Sunday evening after the holiday. Nervous that this is too short for us and/or our luggage? We'd likely be flying first class, so at least we'd be getting off our arriving plane quickly. Traveling party of 3 adults, middle aged, able bodied.
Old Jul 3, 2020, 9:38 am

Programs: UA *G, Accor/Sofitel Gold, InterContinental Platinum
Arriving SEA on AF from CDG (business) and departing DL to DEN (first). Is 1 hour 15 minutes sufficient? I have never done an international arrival at SEA and I'm not that familiar with the airport. This is a flight in early Dec, so passenger number 'may' be more typical by that time. Thanks so much.

Last edited by RockyMntFlyer; Jul 3, 2020 at 9:46 am
Old Jul 3, 2020, 3:40 pm

Programs: AS, DL, WN
Originally Posted by RockyMntFlyer
Arriving SEA on AF from CDG (business) and departing DL to DEN (first). Is 1 hour 15 minutes sufficient? I have never done an international arrival at SEA and I'm not that familiar with the airport. This is a flight in early Dec, so passenger number 'may' be more typical by that time. Thanks so much.
SEA's new IAF/customs facility should be open by then (was planned for Sep. 2020 pre-COVID), so as long as your CDG-SEA flight arrives on time I'd say that you'll be fine.
Old Jul 4, 2020, 10:33 am

Programs: UA *G, Accor/Sofitel Gold, InterContinental Platinum
Originally Posted by pnw traveler
SEA's new IAF/customs facility should be open by then (was planned for Sep. 2020 pre-COVID), so as long as your CDG-SEA flight arrives on time I'd say that you'll be fine.
Thanks for the information.
Old Jul 5, 2020, 8:23 pm

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Originally Posted by pnw traveler
PoS's dashboard is currently projecting the new IAF won't open until 2/23/21 at this point... https://public.tableau.com/profile/p...d/IAFDashboard

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.