Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Seattle (SEA): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum Connection time for Delta-Delta connections in Seattle

Domestic-domestic: 30 minutes

Domestic-international: 30 minutes

International-domestic: 1 hour
Exceptions:
  • Arriving from a Canadian airport with preclearance: 30 minutes
  • ICN-SEA-MSP: 1 hour 10 minutes
  • Any international to domestic connection* through SEA going to ATL, DEN, DTW, HNL, JFK, LAS, LAX, PDX, SFO, SJC, or SLC: 1 hour 10 minutes
* except if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, in which case the 30 minute MCT prevails. (Example: YVR-SEA-LAX would be a 30 minute MCT, not 70 minutes, since YVR has preclearance.)

International-international: 1 hour
Exceptions:
  • Arriving from a Canadian airport with preclearance: 30 minutes
  • Going to YVR or YYC: International to international MCT at SEA is 1 hour 10 minutes if you're connecting to one of those two airports
NOTE IF FLIGHT IS MARKETED AS A CODESHARE MCT CAN BE DIFFERENT.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Seattle (SEA): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2018, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GagaPilot
I feel like I’m overlooking it somewhere in this thread, but can anyone tell me what the MCT is for DL International - DL Domestic at SEA?
Should probably have a Wiki for this thread. It's generally 60 minutes, but there's a number of exceptions where it is 70 minutes. Namely, ICN-MSP and ALL-ATL/DEN/DTW/HNL/LAS/LAX/JFK/PDX/SFO/SJC/SLC/YVR/YYC
Old May 26, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LBJ
Should probably have a Wiki for this thread. It's generally 60 minutes, but there's a number of exceptions where it is 70 minutes. Namely, ICN-MSP and ALL-ATL/DEN/DTW/HNL/LAS/LAX/JFK/PDX/SFO/SJC/SLC/YVR/YYC
Add Wiki with MCTs for DL-DL. Note if flight is Delta operated, but marketed as a codeshare, the MCT listed don't apply.
Old May 26, 2018, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
I converted the raw Expertflyer output to English in the wiki.
Old Jun 12, 2018, 5:47 pm

Hi, I'm flying YYJ-SEA-JFK this Sunday with a 89 minute connection in SEA. Connecting to the 3pm flight to JFK and the next flight is the redeye at 11pm! Yikes. And unfortunately I'll need to check a bag. And no Global Entry.
Any insight as to whether I should try to reschedule? Unfortunately the only other option out of YYJ is at 5:45am...
Thanks!
Old Jun 12, 2018, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by frequentflyer11111
Hi, I'm flying YYJ-SEA-JFK this Sunday with a 89 minute connection in SEA. Connecting to the 3pm flight to JFK and the next flight is the redeye at 11pm! Yikes. And unfortunately I'll need to check a bag. And no Global Entry.
Any insight as to whether I should try to reschedule? Unfortunately the only other option out of YYJ is at 5:45am...
Thanks!
You should be good. DL MCT is only 1 hour. If you're a US or Canadian citizen use Mobile app and you'll be through in no time. If don't want to use the CBP App you can use the APC machines and will be through quickly.
BenA likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 5:57 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
Three of us have HKG/SEA/MCO tickets for flights in September on a Tuesday morning. We arrive at SEA from HKG at 7.55am and depart SEA for MCO at 9.05am. The flights meet the DL's MCT just, and we have Global Entry so that should help. How risky is this connection in terms of making it at SEA?
Old Jul 12, 2018, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Are you departing HKG on a Tuesday, or doing SEA-MCO on a Tuesday? Both Delta's schedule and ITA Matrix show no non-stop DL SEA-MCO on September Tuesdays.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by OrlandoFlyer
Three of us have HKG/SEA/MCO tickets for flights in September on a Tuesday morning. We arrive at SEA from HKG at 7.55am and depart SEA for MCO at 9.05am. The flights meet the DL's MCT just, and we have Global Entry so that should help. How risky is this connection in terms of making it at SEA?
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Are you departing HKG on a Tuesday, or doing SEA-MCO on a Tuesday? Both Delta's schedule and ITA Matrix show no non-stop DL SEA-MCO on September Tuesdays.
Seattle is quite efficient at immigration. The holdup are the baggage arrival as the international arrival baggage claim is small, the SEA PEK arrives just before SEA HKG.

A HKG Tuesday departure arrive at SEA Tuesday, a few hours before HKG departure.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:04 am

Programs: DL 4MM/PM, UA 1MM/Gold, AA Paper
My Bad. We are traveling from HKG to SEA to MCO on a Monday in September not a Tuesday as I put in my original post. Our connection time in SEA is 70 minutes.
Old Jul 13, 2018, 10:49 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
With Global Entry and no checked bags, a 70 minute connection is trivially easy at SEA and you would even have some lounge time to relax.

With GE and checked bags, you’ll make your connection, but it might be a little tighter because you’ll need to wait ~20 minutes for the bags to come out before proceeding. Carryon only is best if you can swing it.

If your flight is held in the hallway before immigration, ask the line monitors if you can proceed ahead if you have Global Entry - they usually permit GE passengers to go on ahead and not wait.

Note that long international flights frequently arrive before their published arrival time; DL 37 is scheduled to come in right now at 8:17 AM, but it often has arrived to the gate as much as an hour early. So if that happens to you, you get additional buffer time on top of your normal connection margin.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 10:09 pm

Almost forgot about this. Been hearing it would happen eventually and finally witnessed it in person. Two weeks ago, SEA was using remote stands. Multiple a/c were parked on the west side of the AS hangar at the south end of the runway. PAX were deplaning using stairs and getting on buses to the terminal. One was a DL E175, the other two, I don't remember from that long ago, but I think were WN.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
I was worrying about the connection time in SEA on a JFK-SEA-ANC itinerary. The connection time at booking was 43 min, and over the months, the evening nonstop into SEA was often late, sometimes over half an hour late. I was imagining one of those OJ sprints thru the airport, with family in tow. I felt a little better when Delta opened the schedule up a little, and the connection time became 55 min. We flew that trip a few weeks ago, and came to the gate 10-15 min late. As I got off the plane, I asked the gate agent where the Anchorage gate was and he smiled and said, "Don't worry, it's close." And he pointed behind him. About 30 minutes later we got back on the same plane, with a new crew! I think the gate was S3.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:08 am

Programs: Flying Blue, AAdvantage, Dividend Miles, Hilton HHonors, Mariott Rewards, Hertz #1 Circle
Originally Posted by daloosh
I was worrying about the connection time in SEA on a JFK-SEA-ANC itinerary. The connection time at booking was 43 min, and over the months, the evening nonstop into SEA was often late, sometimes over half an hour late. I was imagining one of those OJ sprints thru the airport, with family in tow. I felt a little better when Delta opened the schedule up a little, and the connection time became 55 min. We flew that trip a few weeks ago, and came to the gate 10-15 min late. As I got off the plane, I asked the gate agent where the Anchorage gate was and he smiled and said, "Don't worry, it's close." And he pointed behind him. About 30 minutes later we got back on the same plane, with a new crew! I think the gate was S3.
The part with connecting in seattle is if you are on a different carrier transferring to an alasla AS operated flight the prior flight can be marketed AS and operated by another carrier DL or UA. But any connection where it in not an Online transfer meaning alaska air flight operated by alaska means that there will be time added to MCT. even their regional to an Alaska flight adds to the MCT (minimum connection time) Last I checked the MCT for online was 35min In line (like regional connector) was 50 min and off line UA or DL to AS operated flights 1:10. Of course these are minimums and doesn't mean they won't sell a flight below the minimum (especially a TA that isn't paying attention.)
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:52 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Unfortunately, I do not remember how this works so I apparently arrive at A Gate 2 on the ATL-SEA flight and am going out of S Gate 7 for the HKG flight.

Looking at the airport map in the iOS app, is that a shuttle (dotted line) one takes from arrival to departure gate?
Old Sep 5, 2018, 2:56 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
It's a underground plane train, similar to ATL but it runs in a loop instead of a line.
Xeno likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.