Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Seattle (SEA): The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 26, 2018, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: LoganFlyer
Minimum Connection time for Delta-Delta connections in Seattle

Domestic-domestic: 30 minutes

Domestic-international: 30 minutes

International-domestic: 1 hour
Exceptions:
  • Arriving from a Canadian airport with preclearance: 30 minutes
  • ICN-SEA-MSP: 1 hour 10 minutes
  • Any international to domestic connection* through SEA going to ATL, DEN, DTW, HNL, JFK, LAS, LAX, PDX, SFO, SJC, or SLC: 1 hour 10 minutes
* except if coming from a Canadian airport with preclearance, in which case the 30 minute MCT prevails. (Example: YVR-SEA-LAX would be a 30 minute MCT, not 70 minutes, since YVR has preclearance.)

International-international: 1 hour
Exceptions:
  • Arriving from a Canadian airport with preclearance: 30 minutes
  • Going to YVR or YYC: International to international MCT at SEA is 1 hour 10 minutes if you're connecting to one of those two airports
NOTE IF FLIGHT IS MARKETED AS A CODESHARE MCT CAN BE DIFFERENT.
Print Wikipost

Minimum Connection Transfer Time at Seattle (SEA): The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2019, 5:44 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
As YYC has preclearance, 47 minutes is plenty of time for this connection. Your bag will make it. Should you miss the connection due to a late inbound, DL will put on the next flight that has seats available.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:13 pm

Programs: UA
Tight Connection @ SEA

Just booked a trip on delta.com and have a 45 minute connection at SEA (SAN > SEA > NRT) Been on the SAN-SEA flight a few times before and never had trouble but thought I would ask if this is a common thing with Delta or not and what your experiences were. Looks like they are really confident in being "the on-time machine!"

One other issue I noticed, I booked SEA > NRT in D1 but on the way back (though LAX) I'm taking PS. I got an email today with the details for the flight to LAX, stating "Welcome to Delta First Class." Thought I accidentally booked the tickets in reverse but checked everything and it is the way I wanted it. Anyone else see this?
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:27 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
45 minutes is the minimum connection time for Seattle, but it’s definitely legal. I think you’ll be fine; the early in the day flights tend to be more or less on time unlike the evening ones.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 9:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
The problem at SEA is connecting on the way back into the US. Even if you have global entry, the TSA situation at customs is awful and just caused me to misconnect. I had 90 minutes to connect, then the flight was delayed by 30 minutes. Still should have been OK with global entry, but then we spent 30 minutes getting through TSA which has no pre-check and of course they selected my bag to inspect because of a bar of chocolate inside (which, for the record, I had declared!).
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: DL DM
You’ll probably be OK, but I had a similar choice to
make booking a trip to SIN via SEA and ICN. 48 minutes in SEA or 6 hr. I chose 6 hr just to be safe. Can relax in the Sky Club. It’s not till the fall with the start of de-ice season up here in ANC so I just wanted to play it safe. And SEA has horrible construction and it can take a while to get around SEA if you are not familiar.
Old Apr 25, 2019, 11:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
The problem at SEA is connecting on the way back into the US. Even if you have global entry, the TSA situation at customs is awful and just caused me to misconnect. I had 90 minutes to connect, then the flight was delayed by 30 minutes. Still should have been OK with global entry, but then we spent 30 minutes getting through TSA which has no pre-check and of course they selected my bag to inspect because of a bar of chocolate inside (which, for the record, I had declared!).
I guess YMMV. i've never had any problems getting back in at SEA. i've had more issues at SLC with having to go to another terminal to get precheck
Old Apr 26, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I strongly recommend going landside to go through security at SEA in most cases if you have CLEAR and PreCheck. You’ll end up taking the train anyway, because you want to go to the A club regardless... and the main checkpoints seem to move much faster than the minicheckpoint at the IAF in the S satellite.
jdrtravel likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA
Thanks folks, feel better about it now. I have been to SEA a couple times but never for a connection, so figured I'd ask to see if there was anything I'm unaware of. I know about the S and N gates so no surprises there.

The return is via LAX, I think I have 3 hours on that one, and I don't really care if it takes an extra day. I'll hang out in LA & I'll have an excuse to miss another day of work.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 1:20 pm

Looking to book a flight for next year (post cruise) which has a short connection time in Seattle:

Flying in from Vancouver by Delta we have exactly 1 hour connection time before our Virgin Atlantic flight to LHR. I am presuming we will get our bags checked all the way through, but even with US pre clearance should I be worried that n hour isn't long enough.
Old Jul 2, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
If your inbound is on time, an hour is plenty of time to make this connection. As you noted, you'll preclear in YVR and thus the worst you'll have to do at SEA is take a train between terminals. But you won't have to reclear security and your bag will be checked through.

I'd still be hesitant though, because what happens if your inbound is 30 minutes late? Then you might not make the VS flight. What would your backup be? Is there another VS or DL flight later that day or would you be stuck waiting 24 hours to catch the next available flight? If there is a later flight to LHR, I'd stick with the one hour connection you'd have. If there isn't, then I'd consider taking an earlier flight from YVR (or connecting at a different airport) to be safe.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 11:07 am

Programs: -
Unsure if I just didn't get it on my previous late-night connections, but I was expedited through customs last month (ESTA) when I landed at 2 pm SEA from NRT - they have a list of flights + passengers so you don't need to ask for it. I got to my gate with half an hour to spare from a 100-minute connection. Baggage also took maybe 5-10 minutes, without priority tagging.
Old Aug 6, 2019, 11:03 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeWyndham Contributor Badge

Programs: Hertz PC, Hilton DMD, IHG Spire Amb, Bonvoy Titanium Elite & WoH Globalist
Arriving at SEA on AS1527 from SNA at 10:45 AM

Departing on JL67 at 11:25 AM

Is 40-minutes enough time for this connection?

Thank you!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Kalboz
Arriving at SEA on AS1527 from SNA at 10:45 AM

Departing on JL67 at 11:25 AM

Is 40-minutes enough time for this connection?

Thank you!
FYI, this is the DL forum. Everything posted on this thread revolves around DL/DL partner connections.

Regardless, the answer for your question is no. MCT AS-JL is 1hour 10 minutes.
Old Sep 2, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: FreeAgent; DL Silver; IHG Diamond/ Ambassador
How bad is the international to domestic transit in December?

I'm planning a trip to Asia via Delta, outbound around Dec 3 and return around Dec 16. The return leg is NRT-SEA-PSC, with over two hours connecting time in SEA. I know the wiki above states a minimum connecting time of 1 hour and 10 minutes. But I am concerned December may be a really busy time. I flew this routing once in April and I think I used up close to two hours going through customs and immigration (my plane was the only arrival at that hour). My relatives visited this year (flight via ICN) and my brother reported they were on the queue for CBP for almost two hours.

I don't have ESTA. I am not sure how much time is considered a "tight connection" (in case of a late arrival). Back when I used to fly CX/AA via LAX, they would give out "orange" fast track cards through CBP if it were a tight connection, or outright rebook for those which they think would miss the onward domestic connection. I'm pretty sure DL does the latter (not sure if the former is available at SEA - there were only three counters/ officers when I arrived last April and my brother said there were the same number available when they visited.).
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:14 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
DL > HA connection. MCT is 1:10. Would 1:24 be a practical connection assuming no checked luggage?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.