Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Amex Removes Miles Boost for DL Gold Amex

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Removes Miles Boost for DL Gold Amex

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:09 am

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
DL Gold Amex Mile Boost Discontinued?

I'm probably just behind the times, but I was looking at my DL Gold Amex account this morning and realized the benefit bonus miles after spending is no longer listed (I believe it was $15,000 in a year gets you 5000 bonus award miles). I saw a few vague mentionings of this in other threads, but can anyone confirm if this perk has indeed vanished?

Thanks!
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:18 am

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by CaptKornDog
I'm probably just behind the times, but I was looking at my DL Gold Amex account this morning and realized the benefit bonus miles after spending is no longer listed (I believe it was $15,000 in a year gets you 5000 bonus award miles). I saw a few vague mentionings of this in other threads, but can anyone confirm if this perk has indeed vanished?

Thanks!
Yep. There was a notice in a statement about it, which I used to negotiate an annual fee waiver. I don't remember exactly when it ended, though.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:25 am

Yes it was removed Jan 1 3012. It is one of the many reasons I bumped to DL amex plat. If you think you'll spend 25k by Dec 31 2012 maybe bump up your card now. If you do make sure to call and ask for a sign up bonus and hope they'll give it to you. Also sounds like Ascii had some luck getting an annual fee waiver. That might be worth a simple phone call to ask anyways. Worst case is they say no.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:40 am
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by stils
Yes it was removed Jan 1 3012.
There is still 999 years to go — no rush.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Search is you friend --

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...gold-amex.html
Old Nov 4, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Ascii
Yep. There was a notice in a statement about it, which I used to negotiate an annual fee waiver. I don't remember exactly when it ended, though.
Shows how closely I looked at that statement

(I honestly didn't think I'd be close this year so it must have just slipped my mind...and now that I'm close, that hurts).

Originally Posted by LBJ
Ah, yes, there's gotta be one in every thread . I did indeed try searching but apparently couldn't phrase my keywords correct enough to narrow it down to exactly what I was looking for. Thank you for the link.

Originally Posted by stils
Yes it was removed Jan 1 3012. It is one of the many reasons I bumped to DL amex plat. If you think you'll spend 25k by Dec 31 2012 maybe bump up your card now. If you do make sure to call and ask for a sign up bonus and hope they'll give it to you. Also sounds like Ascii had some luck getting an annual fee waiver. That might be worth a simple phone call to ask anyways. Worst case is they say no.
Hmm, interesting (but good) advice. I'll have to research that.

Thanks all!
Old Nov 4, 2012, 6:18 pm
ck8

Programs: Delta SkyMiles GM/United Mileage Plus/Hilton Honors
So if I just upgraded from Gold to Platinum card, does my 2012 Gold card spending get transferred over to my Platinum or do I start from scratch? Thanks
Old Nov 4, 2012, 6:23 pm

Programs: DL SM, AA, BA, WN, UA, SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt
Originally Posted by ck8
So if I just upgraded from Gold to Platinum card, does my 2012 Gold card spending get transferred over to my Platinum or do I start from scratch? Thanks
I believe you start from scratch.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 6:26 pm
ck8

Indeed. Thanks for the response. I had $22k on my gold card and could have easily made another 3K for the 10K MQM boost. Bummer.
Originally Posted by DLcoop1977
I believe you start from scratch.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ck8
Depends on what you have charged. If you already charged enough this year to get a mileage boost on your gold card you will start from scratch.

If you have not received a mileage boost, your YTD should count towards the 25K. I had a gold Delta card I obtained in 2010 and wanted to upgrade it in 2011. I was told I had to have the card for at least 12 months before I could upgrade it due to the credit card "reform" laws that had recently went in effect since they couldn't raise the annual fee on a credit card in the first 12 months. This was in June I believe and the agent told me to keep my spending under $20K until then and the spending would carry over to the plantium. He told me if I went over $20K and they gave me the mileage boost they wouldn't count previous spending since Am Ex already gave a bonus on it. I took his advice and the spending from the gold card did count towards the platnium spending.
Old Nov 4, 2012, 8:29 pm
ck8

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Depends on what you have charged. If you already charged enough this year to get a mileage boost on your gold card you will start from scratch.
Since there is not spending boost on the Gold Card anymore I am guessing that I should be good then?
Old Nov 4, 2012, 9:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by ck8
Since there is not spending boost on the Gold Card anymore I am guessing that I should be good then?
Unless things have changed from last year, you should get 10K MQM's if you spend another $3k by year end, in addition to the 5K MQM or whatever MQM promo they have for new platnium cards (they should give you the sign up mqms).

I would call Am Ex just to make sure. Your account number should stay the same and they will send you a new card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.