Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Priority/Security Lanes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
FlyClear.

I am willing to pay just to avoid the mess at MCO....... if that's the only airport they ever go back into I will keep right on paying.

LAX has one but NIGHTMARE comes to mind! It's really slow on Friday mornings!
I agree the lines at LAX can be a real nightmare at time, especially around 10 at night when there are all the people trying to get on redeyes, but still find the priority line a godsend. The agents I always encounter are strict about enforcing the line there and it seems to always move faster than the regular line.

The places I find SP lanes not to be beneficial at are airports like PIT and DEN where the agents let people in the SP line that have no business being in them, and when the SP line merges in with the regular line after the ID checker like MDW used to be (since they have other lines for priority customers past the ID checker for the xray machines, it is a LOT faster getting through security than when the line would merge in with the kettles).
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:20 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
Originally Posted by vatraveler
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

What's happening at DCA? Looks like the security lines at the DL pier have been re-configured. I was arriving and didn't get to experience it first hand.
Unless they have changed something in the past 3 weeks, the only recent change is that the security exit is now on the other side of security. This has been this way for a while. There is still a SP lane that runs the outside edge of the other lines and then goes into TSA near the SP checkin desk that's near security.

One good thing about DCA, I have always found that the TSA is relatively alert when it comes to opening extra lines for big crowds and going back to the metal detectors when things get busy. I usually go through DCA in the mornings.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 10:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium Elite, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ThrowDownYourLeavyScreens
Just went through the one at RDU this morning.
This is always confusing at RDU. It seems that the DL staff are even unclear on this. There is a "First Class" line; however, no true "Sky Priority" lane (or any other Airline elite line). I've asked the DL staff when checking in and half will tell you that you can use it as Sky Priority, while the other half say its only if you have a FC boarding pass.
Old Aug 15, 2011, 4:42 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Originally Posted by DCAproducer
Originally Posted by vatraveler

What's happening at DCA? Looks like the security lines at the DL pier have been re-configured. I was arriving and didn't get to experience it first hand.
Unless they have changed something in the past 3 weeks, the only recent change is that the security exit is now on the other side of security. This has been this way for a while. There is still a SP lane that runs the outside edge of the other lines and then goes into TSA near the SP checkin desk that's near security.

One good thing about DCA, I have always found that the TSA is relatively alert when it comes to opening extra lines for big crowds and going back to the metal detectors when things get busy. I usually go through DCA in the mornings.
The setup yesterday was Sky priority to the far left rather than on the right like in the past.
Old Aug 16, 2011, 5:09 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
Monday mornings. Walk right thru the maze, usually 2 or 3 in front of me for ID Go direct to screening. Generally five or six in line with numerous lines open.

Elite is slower. Sure the signs post the same wait but since I gave up on elite I have not waited five minutes. Just the volume of lanes makes main faster IMHO. (and seriously I find that the "general public" in Atlanta does a better job at security. Maybe it is because they have not assumed "2 items means I can also bring a few extra bags". Who knows, buy I am sticking to main security)

And I always avoid TSA "black diamond". The 'expert flyers' last flew in 1986 LOL
Yup, I avoid Monday mornings at all costs, if I have to I take the earliest flight I can to avoid the 7/8 am rush.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by UKCatsHoopsFan
This is always confusing at RDU. It seems that the DL staff are even unclear on this. There is a "First Class" line; however, no true "Sky Priority" lane (or any other Airline elite line). I've asked the DL staff when checking in and half will tell you that you can use it as Sky Priority, while the other half say its only if you have a FC boarding pass.
I was going to say that RDU does not have a SP lane for security (but does have one for check in). I've never tried using the FC lane without a ticket in F, but I suspect the TSA agents would not notice.

Now that DL, UA, AA, and US are all flying out of the same concourse, I doubt that a dedicated SP line is forthcoming, as it would have to accommodate elites from all the airlines and would probably be just as busy as the kettle lane.

Of course, a busy day at RDU means I have to wait 10 minutes in security, so I won't complain.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
DEN rarely enforces it which pisses me off a lot...also it isn't always faster, but it is a shorter walk and I'm lazy so I usually take it. Also since I sometimes have to fly WN (what one of my clients pays for) I can show my DL PM card to the agent and get in the fast line...it's helped a few times.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by skyvanman
Also since I sometimes have to fly WN (what one of my clients pays for) I can show my DL PM card to the agent and get in the fast line...it's helped a few times.
I did that once at DEN. I had to connect on DTW/LAX trip in May in DEN on Southwest. My DTW/DEN portion had a mech. irrops and had to spend the night at DEN once I arrived at 2 a.m. Thanks to the way WN handles Irrops I am lucky if I got two and a half hours sleep that night.

That is one time I was glad the TSA premium line wasn't being enforced. I jsut showed the agent my Delta PM card bright and early a few hours later that morning and went right through. It also is handy when I am forced to fly WN at MDW. Just show the agent your Delta card and you go through a much shorter line.

I saw a person one time show their WN A-list card at DTW at the delta terminal and they went right through although only skyteam flies out of that building.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 6:50 pm

Programs: DL DM-4MM, Marriott Plat Premier, Hertz Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
OKC: no
BIL: no
BZN: prior to the new terminal, no. I doubt there's a line in the new terminal, but I'll find out for sure next week.
STL: yes
HNL: yes, in the form of a gold lane (ask the TA for a stamp on your BP)
NRT: no

Those are some of the airports I frequent.
OKC now has a preferred security line, been in place maybe 6 weeks or so?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 7:32 pm

Originally Posted by OKDiamond
OKC now has a preferred security line, been in place maybe 6 weeks or so?
Son of a gun. Only 6 weeks after I left! Where is it? East or west checkpoint?
Old Aug 17, 2011, 7:34 pm

Programs: NW/DL Plat, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold 5*
STL A concourse

Originally Posted by DCAproducer
STL has one and it's a huge time saver. A concourse security is a pain.
Agreed that when it's backed up on the 'normal' lines to the left, the First Class / Employees line is a big lifesaver. It's helped me have more breathing room to catch a flight more than once, especially on an early morning departure Mon or Tues.
However - the bottom line is that A concourse security in STL is a total crapshoot. The biggest determinant to how long it takes is what time of day and whether they have more than 2 lanes open...and it's not a linear relationship - there are times when it should be slow and they've backed down the staffing so that the lines end up being long - at other times you might expect it to be busy (morning bank of flights) and they've got 4 lanes open so it's pretty efficient.
You may also have the misfortune of being in the First Class / employee line as a gaggle of flight crew come through (always seem to come in bunches) - I've witnessed, no joke, 4 separate crews come through in rapid succession. 15 people jumped to the head of the line (I really don't have any problem with this, just really slowed up that FC line that day) and made FC security much slower than regular.
The other thing is that in my experience, it's not a true SkyPriority or Elite line. It's labeled (not too conspicuously) as First Class / Employees only. When I'm upgraded to F I use it. When I'm not, I generally hit the main line.
Old Aug 17, 2011, 8:48 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred/Companion Pass, Amtrak Select, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond
OKC does now, and it's usually convenient-Kinda funny, the first time I got an upgrade before showing at the airport, my first thought was "Great, I can skip the security line!" (I'm still Silver) ironically, after printing the boarding pass and dropping bags, I went over to the Sky Priority line....which had a dozen or so folks in it.......then noticed the cattle line was almost empty....I left the sky priority line, and walked around 8 or so still standing in the priority lane by using the regular line! Go figure.

Between 6 and 7 am on a Monday it's awful handy though!
Old Aug 18, 2011, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL DM-4MM, Marriott Plat Premier, Hertz Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
Son of a gun. Only 6 weeks after I left! Where is it? East or west checkpoint?
West concourse...and it is always empty!
Old Aug 19, 2011, 3:26 pm

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by BeachBum770
LAX has one, but it is almost useless during the busiest times. The same TSA agent has to handle the family/crew line as well as the SP line. I stood there on Sunday night and watched people who entered the "regular" line well after I got in the SP line clear the machines before I even made it past the ID check.

Quoted for truth.

Saw this same thing yesterday afternoon.

Delta needs to spot-check this thing.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 4:00 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold, Hertz 5*, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Silver, RCI Diamond Plus
That answers my question....

I guess my usual airports are abnormal. But at mine the SkyPriority lanes are always EMPTY and the regular lines are miles long. At these airports adding silver would totally help move things along.

My experience has always been 0 line at priority or there's no line.

But sounds like others have different experiences.

Thanks for the input.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.