Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Updated: Award Redeposit and Reissue Rule Change

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: What Do You Think About the Policy Change for Award Re-Deposits and Re-Issues?
I am in favor of it.
13.39%
I am opposed to it and intend to be loyal to a different airline frequent flier loyalty program.
49.82%
I am opposed to it but will remain loyal to the Delta SkyMiles frequent flier loyalty program.
23.88%
I am not affected by it, am neutral about it, do not know, have no opinion or do not care.
12.91%
Voters: 829. You may not vote on this poll

Updated: Award Redeposit and Reissue Rule Change

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:33 am

Programs: DL KM/DM/2MM (NH Plat emeritus, CO Plat emeritus, and no place like home)
Don't solve a problem by creating a new one

Hi, Delta, good morning!

I'm very sorry to tell you that as a DM I am surprised, and caught off guard. This is a serious and concerning devaluation. You said it enters on 8/15. You still have time to pull it back for revisit. Don't put yourself in the embarresment of having numerous PM/DM's contacting the senior management and requesting explanations...

On additional note: have you thought of the consequences of this policy to your RTW awards? to begin with, it is already a challenge booking them. changing flights shortly before departure is more of the common than the uncommon in those awards. Do you really want to 'kill' one of the few valuable channels for miles redemption?

Last edited by DLroads; Aug 9, 2011 at 9:45 am
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:34 am

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, etc.
Originally Posted by rylan
In reality, the change is likely for the sole purpose of preventing reticketing of award travel at a lower redemption or more favorable routing as when originally booked (med 6 months out vs low 2 days out, or multi connect at low vs direct at low 2 days out).
I.e., to make award travel as much as possible something to be endured rather than enjoyed. Gee, thanks Delta.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
I get the reason for the change now (Thanks Vuelos and fti) but the solution is too sweeping and unfriendly. I am still at a loss for what it is that a few posters see in this change that is good? In fact one poster said "Way to go Delta!!" fist pump implied. Can anyone see how this is a welcome change to any customer? I think those posters just did not read the announcement or are confused because I see nothing good here except Delta can eliminate the abuse they were getting from a small minority of DM/PM's.

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Vuelos
100% agreed. Methinks either they didn't consider that or they couldn't figure out a way to implement? If Paul/Michelle would pipe in here...
If nothing else, make it something you have to do over the phone until you can get an IT solution in place. I'm dirt with BA but just redeemed 15K orphaned miles in a household account for a QF one-way in Australia and can go online and change the date/time on ba.com at no charge. As best as I can tell, I can do this right up to the last moment. Repricing might be harder to implement, but again, there's always a way to do it manually, and maybe if phone agents are spending a bunch of time doing it, there will be some motivation to get IT on board.

Was already planning to cancel my DL AmEx after devaluing FO with priority boarding for cardmembers. Glad I didn't do it yet, as now I can cover both when I cancel and write in to DL explaining. Slated to move back to the US in about a year, and I'm going to have to seriously reevaluate which carrier I might try to stay loyal to if DL doesn't back down on this one.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:36 am

Programs: UA1k, DL
This does not appear to be good at all. Anxiously awaiting the official announcement from Michelle.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:36 am

Why not just increase the change fee when you hit the 72-hour mark?

It would deter abuse without potentially infuriating someone who screwed up. People are used to change fees, so stick with that. Imagine if they applied this to cash tickets, where you lose the entire fare.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:39 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
hmm maybe it is because DL actually READS these boards and people are very clearly spelling out in detail all the things they do to get around their system, they are just closing the loops. Just because you CAN game the system, sadly doesn't mean you should post it here for DL to read.

I think that is why there are no DMQM promos this year with what we all did last summer with the promos that were out there. DL just wants us to think their IT dept is dumb, but I think they know and catch all that we do.

Just sayin'
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:40 am

Programs: DL PM, AS MVPG, Hyatt DIA, PC PLAT, Club Carl Gold, HH Gold, Accor Dia
"SkyMiles members who wish to cancel or make changes to their award ticket now need to do so at least 72 hours before their flight departure (for changes, this applies to each flight segment – outbound and return)."

So if I'm reading this right its 72hrs for changes before EACH of the flights on an award ticket NOT 72hrs before the 1st flight of the Award which could be weeks or months before the return portion of an award ticket.

At least that means changes to Award tickets can still be made after departure (especially critical since we can't book O/W awards)!

Still a terrible, awful change but not the deathnail I envisioned when first reading it.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: DL DM/SC, SPG Plat, UA, AA, Hertz Gold
I am not happy about these changes. Delta, do yourself a favor and review the policy. I, for one, would be more ok with the new policy if changes could be made to the itinerary within 72 hours as long as the origin/destination stayed the same. As pointed out here, low award availability is often released within 72 hours of the flight. This just punishes those of us trying to redeem SkyMiles.

With so many unhappy with changes that have been made to the SkyMiles program recently, please allow changes within 72 hours to at least partially salvage a bad announcement.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by Denolloyd
This does not appear to be good at all. Anxiously awaiting the official announcement from Michelle.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...-change-1.html
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:42 am

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by OLYflyer
So if I'm reading this right its 72hrs for changes before EACH of the flights on an award ticket NOT 72hrs before the 1st flight of the Award which could be weeks or months before the return portion of an award ticket.
Yes as was covered up thread, that's how it was explained.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
It's going to stink to have to drop $1500 on a last minute flight when I could have used miles. So much for close-in awards and that announced benefit.

I don't see why DL doesn't restrict no-fee change/redeposits to t-72 hours and still allow those of us who don't game the system to book after t-72.

Hopefully this announcement will at least come with news that the calendar has been fixed. We can dream, right?
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Was already planning to cancel my DL AmEx after devaluing FO with priority boarding for cardmembers.
Agreed. As an FO, these two major changes (72 hour rule + zone 2 boarding for amex) have sent me researching other programs (not that we have many options anymore with all the mergers). I will hit gold next month and when I do I will probably explore matching programs, or give up on legacy and just book the lowest tickets.

And by the way, rather than writing new and frustrating policies, perhaps you could spend time making good on promises to:

-add the ability to process mileage upgrades online
-fix the award booking system
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by rrgg
...Imagine if they applied this to cash tickets, where you lose the entire fare.
US did this after 9/11 and other airlines followed - but customer hostility and outrage drove a retreat from this policy.

Hopefully the same outrage and hostility will result in this idiotic policy being sent back for review.
Old Aug 9, 2011, 9:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
No different than booking a seat into a premium cabin and then cancelling and buying cheaper Y fare an UG if one opens up. It's great for the sophisticated individual, but bad business for DL and terrible for others.

People who want certainty will "pay" more miles and people willing to be flexible and run a risk will get better deals, but only when avail.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.