Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No PTVs for regular PMDL 752s, new LCDs instead

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

No PTVs for regular PMDL 752s, new LCDs instead

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2011, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Every time I fly a 75x, I hate scrolling through the 20 versions or so on seatguru...
Only to have an equipment swap that boots you out of your seat.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:35 pm
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Delta 764
According to a thread at A.net, it looks like DL has scrapped its long-term plans of installing PTVs on the rest of the 757 felet. However, it was stated that the regular PMDL 752s (the ones with the S-VHS servers and overhead CRT monitors) will get new overhead LCD monitors.

I wonder though, will the LCD monitors simply be fixed over the aisles like the existing CRT monitors, or will they be the flip-down type below the overhead bins like on the non-AVOD 738s and 753s?

Also, I wonder if only the monitors will be replaced, or if the S-VHS servers will be replaced by new digital servers (i.e. Panasonic Digital MPES)? Even with new LCDs, clean digital video would look much nicer than old warbled S-VHS tapes. If possible, Panasonic iXplor (moving map) would also be a good addition when there is no video being shown.

BTW, this so far only applies to the PMDL fleet; nothing has been announced for the PMNW 752 fleet.

Mr. Babb, where are you?
Where do these rumors start?!

We are currently spec-ing out over-aisle LCD screens with the goal of replacing all CRT monitors on the PMDL fleet.

Originally Posted by nytraveller53
Delta's 757 fleet is so inconsistent, even if they kept the planes for a few more years, it would be worth it. Now, we'll have:

ETOPS birds with AVOD
ETOPS birds without AVOD
Birds with AVOD and live TV
Birds with stupid LCD screens

and different seating configurations among them all...it all boils down to a confusing situation for the typical traveler.
I agree...it can be confusing and I understand your frustration. However, we're working hard to provide a more consistent customer experience and to provide more information regarding seating and onboard amenities during the shopping/FLIFO path on delta.com.

Also, I hope DL at least moves the control buttons from the side of the armrest to the top of the armrest, and replaces the double prong sockets with single prong sockets.
There are no current plans to move the volume/channel PSU or to replace dual prong jacks with single prong jacks.

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I hope this change corrects the audio issue. Has anyone else ever noticed on the 753's (and maybe some 763's also) that there is a repetitive noise that often occurs when listening to the audio track of a movie? Its a subtle noise but it continues for the entire flight. . .
I have not experienced this but will ask MTC to look into the issue you describe.

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
There will never be consistency across the Delta 757 fleet. There are simply too many configs and, apart from the newish 757-300 sub-fleet - too little economic life left relative to the capital spending that would be necessary to commonize things. Retirements, not refurbs, will address this.
3C...do you work for DL?
Old Jul 26, 2011, 6:53 pm

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Originally Posted by Chris_DeltaCustExp

We are currently spec-ing out over-aisle LCD screens with the goal of replacing all CRT monitors on the PMDL fleet.

I agree...it can be confusing and I understand your frustration. However, we're working hard to provide a more consistent customer experience and to provide more information regarding seating and onboard amenities during the shopping/FLIFO path on delta.com.

There are no current plans to move the volume/channel PSU or to replace dual prong jacks with single prong jacks.

I have not experienced this but will ask MTC to look into the issue you describe.

3C...do you work for DL?
I'm impressed - nice customer service! So I guess the plan is to install LCD screens after all.

Here's my take - Delta, overall, has a very good domestic hard product in Economy. Other airlines are eliminating even overhead screens, while Delta has a sizable amount of the fleet with Delta on Demand. Why not keep it going? If you can equip ALL (and I mean ALL) mainline aircraft with Delta on Demand, Delta will quickly become the "premier choice" for domestic travel, since the other legacy carrier's hard product will look like a joke in comparison.

I appreciate all the upgrades Delta is doing (finally fixing those dreadful 767-300ERs!), but seriously, while you're at it, why not do it right? Just something to consider - keep us posted.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

3C...do you work for DL?
Do I sound like a DL finance guy? Am I too skeptical of bold plans for spending going into aircraft where some examples are 25 years old? Let's see Delta get some 737-900ERs already and start sending 757s to the desert.
Old Jul 26, 2011, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus
While the new LCDs are installed, will new curved ceiling panels (to cover up the holes left by the CRTs) like on the ex-Song and ex-TWA 757s be installed, or will the holes of the old CRTs simply be covered with square panels like what Northwest did when they removed the IFE from their 752s?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:21 am

Honestly, would anybody -- besides yourself -- notice the difference?!?

While the new LCDs are installed, will new curved ceiling panels (to cover up the holes left by the CRTs) like on the ex-Song and ex-TWA 757s be installed, or will the holes of the old CRTs simply be covered with square panels like what Northwest did when they removed the IFE from their 752s?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium

So does this mean no PTVs, or slow down of installing PTVs, on the 757's that currently do not have them? Or is this an overall program separate from PTV to replace any overheads that are CRT's?
Old Jul 27, 2011, 9:12 am

Programs: AF, UA, BA/IB, VS, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
No PTV's, but could this be the reason why?

"Gogo announced it will launch a new in-air multimedia platform to offer access to online services as well as movies and TV shows. The platform will be available beginning in the fourth quarter to passengers via their Web-enabled devices on any aircraft equipped with Gogo's Wi-Fi Internet service."

http://atwonline.com/it-distribution...ultimedia-0726
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:29 pm
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
We will not be leaving any holes in the ceiling panels...the new screens will be integrated seamlessly into the panel structure.

Originally Posted by Bagels
Honestly, would anybody -- besides yourself -- notice the difference?!?
You would be surprised how many customers would notice and provide feedback.

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
So does this mean no PTVs, or slow down of installing PTVs, on the 757's that currently do not have them? Or is this an overall program separate from PTV to replace any overheads that are CRT's?
More information to follow...

Originally Posted by andrew10412
No PTV's, but could this be the reason why?

"Gogo announced it will launch a new in-air multimedia platform to offer access to online services as well as movies and TV shows. The platform will be available beginning in the fourth quarter to passengers via their Web-enabled devices on any aircraft equipped with Gogo's Wi-Fi Internet service."

http://atwonline.com/it-distribution...ultimedia-0726
I see we have plenty of detectives in the FT community...
Old Jul 27, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
We will not be leaving any holes in the ceiling panels...the new screens will be integrated seamlessly into the panel structure.

Hi Chris. Have you considered giving us an "entertainment update" on the blog? It's been a while, and I think we'd all appreciate some sort of timeline so we know what to expect.
Old Jul 27, 2011, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, WF GoFar Rewards, AAdvantage, United MileagePlus

By "seamlessly", do you mean that the new LCDs have a built-in panel to cover the holes, or will they be included with an all new ceiling panel package?

Originally Posted by nytraveller53
Hi Chris. Have you considered giving us an "entertainment update" on the blog? It's been a while, and I think we'd all appreciate some sort of timeline so we know what to expect.
I believe that the first 763ER interior/flat bed mod is almost done, so maybe he is planning a huge announcement when it is complete.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.