Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL to Limit ALL Baggage to 50lbs?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2011, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by geoflyer
And since when is flyertalk only about the majority view? Are those in the minority supposed to remain silent?
No. But it's not like DL is hosing the vast majority of its elites. DL has clearly decided that whatever it gets out of reducing the limit to 50 pounds (whether it be lower costs due to injuries, higher fees for overweight baggage, etc.) is worth risking the business of those who rely on a 70lb limit when traveling. 99% of passengers aren't affected, and those that are have a choice ahead of them. Watch to see what other airlines do in the wake of this, though, before you jump ship completely.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pbarnette
What changes to the CRJ7/9 baggage rules?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...900-700-a.html

Despite much speculation, there is zero evidence that the rules differ (or ever differed) from the published DL rules. Accordingly, DL is unable to announce anything, and can only point you to the rules which are published on their website.

Similarly, I fail to see why DL should make an announcement or remind folks of the published rules simply because someone on FT was apprised of "very reliable chatter" from some guy that works at curbside check-in. This is a rumor. There is no reason to expect DL to address all the rumors that are floated on FT. When, and if, DL changes the luggage allowance, I am sure they will publish the changes on Delta.com.
While I agree with you that we shouldn't all panic on some rumor, DL has been known to time and time again change things for the worse and not inform customers. And we have to find out the hard way. The award calendar implementations are and example (specifically changes to Asia awards, or think back when DL introduced the tiered HNL F vs J tiers).
Old Jul 15, 2011, 2:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Read the thread. There is no new policy, at best there is a renewed enforcement of existing policy, which is that the oversized bags are subject to being checked. There was also much moaning and a Loch Ness Monster-style report of phantom mini-sizers that nobody else has seen, but not much else. That there is no new policy was confirmed by several DL employees that post here. It was confirmed by correspondence with DL. A search of MSP by a poster for mini-sizers found nothing. Numerous reports by other posters noted no change.

The thread you link to is a perfect example of what I am talking about. One person had an oversized bag and blew it up into some change in policy. Despite no evidence to support any conclusion other than either the bag was simply oversized or a single GA was making things up, we have several pages of conspiracy theories, bluster, and protestations that everyone carries on too much but 'me'. This was supplemented with calls for DL to make an announcement, which would have said, basically, 'read the website'.

This falls in the same category. When and if DL changes the rules, I'm sure this will be published somewhere. Until then, what do you want DL to do? Do you want minutes to their management meetings, where they discuss possible changes? Do you want them to publish Vegas-style odds regarding next year's baggage allowances? When there is something to clarify, it is appropriate to ask for clarification, but it is unreasonable to expect DL to respond to every twelfth-hand rumor posted on FT.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 2:21 am

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Read the thread. There is no new policy, at best there is a renewed enforcement of existing policy, which is that the oversized bags are subject to being checked. There was also much moaning and a Loch Ness Monster-style report of phantom mini-sizers that nobody else has seen, but not much else. That there is no new policy was confirmed by several DL employees that post here. It was confirmed by correspondence with DL. A search of MSP by a poster for mini-sizers found nothing. Numerous reports by other posters noted no change.

The thread you link to is a perfect example of what I am talking about. One person had an oversized bag and blew it up into some change in policy. Despite no evidence to support any conclusion other than either the bag was simply oversized or a single GA was making things up, we have several pages of conspiracy theories, bluster, and protestations that everyone carries on too much but 'me'. This was supplemented with calls for DL to make an announcement, which would have said, basically, 'read the website'.

This falls in the same category. When and if DL changes the rules, I'm sure this will be published somewhere. Until then, what do you want DL to do? Do you want minutes to their management meetings, where they discuss possible changes? Do you want them to publish Vegas-style odds regarding next year's baggage allowances? When there is something to clarify, it is appropriate to ask for clarification, but it is unreasonable to expect DL to respond to every twelfth-hand rumor posted on FT.
Could not have said it more eloquently myself. Thanks...but I would place bets that the moaning and whining will continue anyway.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 2:22 am

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
If you are actually seated in Business class on AF/KL, you can check 32kg bags. All other situation would be a no for bags over 23 kg. I think delta should at least allow people flying BE/First Class to have 32kg bags. Otherwise I will reconsider purchasing domestic first class seats. I have bought domestic first class ticket because i had to bring 3 32kg bags.
Old Jul 15, 2011, 4:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You do know that you can do that and that all this conjecture is based on nothing, right?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 5:46 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by WWGuy
You aren't the only one. Extended vacation + SCUBA gear = 50lb luggage FAIL.
And +underwater camera just does not work even for a 10 day trip.
Old Jul 17, 2011, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
When and if DL changes the rules, I'm sure this will be published somewhere. Until then, what do you want DL to do? Do you want minutes to their management meetings, where they discuss possible changes? Do you want them to publish Vegas-style odds regarding next year's baggage allowances? When there is something to clarify, it is appropriate to ask for clarification, but it is unreasonable to expect DL to respond to every twelfth-hand rumor posted on FT.
Referring to the award changes, the changes (esp Asia redemption's) are a critical factor of the FFP, how many miles cost you to go from A to B. I'm not talking about meeting minutes, you're blowing this out of proportion. I'm talking about changing redemptions on miles. Was there any announcement, any heads up, any grace period?

No, this is just another example of where DL does not communicate with anyone, esp customers. But what, what did it's competitors CO/UA do? They communicated with customers, they gave a grace period, and guess what, the complaints and customer service is way better.

I'm just advocating DL do a bare minimum to communicate with it's customers, esp those that fly a lot (i.e elites). Every other service company I am associated with does that at a minimum, DL by far does the worst job and the ratings show it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.