DL to Limit ALL Baggage to 50lbs?

Old Jul 13, 11, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/ SPG Double Platinum/ Hyatt Diamond/ HH Gold/ Exec Elite Emerald/ "MATTERHORN VIP" Aspirant
DL to Limit ALL Baggage to 50lbs?

A friend that works at CVG's curbside check-in alerted me to very-reliable chatter that Delta will soon limit ALL baggage to 50lbs (even for Medallions) in an effort to 1) increase baggage transfer efficiency and 2) to reduce the risk for workplace related injuries. Any of us who've seen the sparse and aging ticketing counter staff try to chuck 70 pound bags on the conveyor belt probably understand the potential for an HR nightmare. BUT...

As a Diamond on the road for weeks at a time, I won't be a happy camper if I gotta lug around 2 bags in addition to my laptop roller. I'll even have to stop collecting hotel shampoos... LOL. Plus I can't imagine them making Medallions look like budget traveler jack-asses-- arriving at check-in and holding everyone up while trying to shuffle items between bags to hit the magic 50 number.

I noticed Medallions can now check 3 bags as opposed to 2-- even on RJ's. I wonder if this is a discreet move to encourage travelers that pack heavy to get used to distributing their stuff among three bags... in the same vein as when DL fliers were given the opportunity to purchase expired miles just prior to the announcement of the no-expiration policy.

Anyone have information or insights on this??
Old Jul 13, 11, 9:10 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Until DL makes such an announcement, and/or there is a link to it here, I have more than enough REAL stuff to be concerned about. Until then, this is no more than speculation, gossip, etc. Bye.
Old Jul 13, 11, 9:16 pm

I dunno if I'd dismiss it so fast. All the European airlines seem to limit their bags to 23 Kilos intra-Europe (and actually, 23 kilos total for all bags together). This might be another one of SkyTeam's potential "alignments".

I hope not, of course.
Old Jul 13, 11, 9:35 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
DL already has limited bags to 50lbs on most international flights when flying Y -- even if DM. It wouldn't surprise me if it went to 50lb for domestic as well.
Old Jul 13, 11, 10:03 pm

Programs: DL Silver (aka, Delta AmEx PLUS), Starbucks Gold :)
Originally Posted by Siriusly View Post
A friend that works at CVG's curbside check-in alerted me to very-reliable chatter that Delta will soon limit ALL baggage to 50lbs (even for Medallions)

I wouldn't be surprised. I mean, with all the lost revenue from Delta Amex cardmembers getting their first checked bag for free, they were bound to make up that difference somehow.
Old Jul 13, 11, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I don't see too much of an issue. Much better for the baggage handlers. And how many people really stuff a suitcase full to 70 pounds when flying domestically? (Note: With a post like this, FT statistics tell me that the next post is sure to be from a person who says they bring 70 pounds. The point is, would-be poster, you are in a very small minority.)

I've seen kettles bring some carry-ons that had to be stuffed close to 70 pounds though...
Old Jul 13, 11, 10:46 pm

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by javabytes View Post
I don't see too much of an issue. Much better for the baggage handlers. And how many people really stuff a suitcase full to 70 pounds when flying domestically? (Note: With a post like this, FT statistics tell me that the next post is sure to be from a person who says they bring 70 pounds. The point is, would-be poster, you are in a very small minority.)

I've seen kettles bring some carry-ons that had to be stuffed close to 70 pounds though...
I have only packed a bag to 70 lbs once (while living/traveling to and from Russia) but there have been a number of times where Mrs. mudbug and I will check only one bag that will be between 50-55 pounds.

It would be a shame not to have that leeway. I can definitely see the merits of not having to load a 70 lb bag on a plane but it would also be nice to continue to not have to worry about a pound or two extra over 50 lbs.
Old Jul 13, 11, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Siriusly View Post
I noticed Medallions can now check 3 bags as opposed to 2-- even on RJ's. I wonder if this is a discreet move to encourage travelers that pack heavy to get used to distributing their stuff among three bags... in the same vein as when DL fliers were given the opportunity to purchase expired miles just prior to the announcement of the no-expiration policy.
When was this announced? The DL website still says 2 free bags up to 70 lbs. for all Medallions. You still get an extra bag as always if you score an UG to FC.
Old Jul 14, 11, 12:02 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall View Post
I dunno if I'd dismiss it so fast. All the European airlines seem to limit their bags to 23 Kilos intra-Europe (and actually, 23 kilos total for all bags together). This might be another one of SkyTeam's potential "alignments".

I hope not, of course.
Not true. All of the Big 3 European carriers allow 32 kg for J and F. And all allow elites 2 bags in coach. BA allows elites 2 x 32 kg, even in coach. While there have been reports on this forum that the EU has a 23 kg weight limit for OSHA-type reasons, this does not appear to be the case.

I think this is simply someone running with the new long-haul allowances (which do limit elites to 23 kg per bag on most routes) and assuming that this will be expanded. It may not be a bad assumption, but I'd be curious if there was anything more to this rumor than supposition. I'd be shocked if this were instituted for premium cabins, barring some critical mass of other carriers doing so.
Old Jul 14, 11, 12:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by waltinsocal View Post
Until DL makes such an announcement, and/or there is a link to it here, I have more than enough REAL stuff to be concerned about. Until then, this is no more than speculation, gossip, etc. Bye.
Uh, DL doesn't make announcements. Think about changes to award calendars, CRJ7/9 baggage rules, etc
Old Jul 14, 11, 12:36 am

KLM went briefly to 23kg maximum bags for everyone -- including elites and business class passengers -- in order to protect the health of luggage workers but was forced to start allowing 32kg again for business class, due in part to all the confusion with DL passengers.

The latest changes on DL luggage allowance brought the JV the closest together it has been. Further future harmonization makes sense.

As to US domestic going to a max of 23kg to protect the health and safety of luggage handling employees, workers in the US don't have the same kind of institutional protections such as progressive employers, strong unions, tough regulators, etc. I would expect they will continue to be abused and exploited for many years to come.
Old Jul 14, 11, 1:44 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Silver, MR Lifetime Gold
They've been going back and forth a bit, but I expect that ultimately the 50lbs (23kg) limit will be put in place for all AF/KL/DL/AZ flights. Protect employees, save on fuel, force people to have more bags and fork up the cash... whatever the reasons are, it is what it is.

I sometimes travel on longer trips (several weeks) and I have to pack enough stuff. A carry on is just not an option. I've seldom gone over the 50lbs limit, but I got really good at packing a suitcase and although I never get suitcases larger than 24" I can easily go over 50lbs. All I want to say is, don't judge... not everybody can just use a carry-on; it's often not a choice.

Don't hold your breath, I don't expect there to be an announcement from DL. The only announcements they make nowadays are those that push AMEX.

It baffles me how badly they're failing at this harmonization game, even with the simplest things. Clearly they don't WANT to (no instant profits means DL doesn't care). NW/KL did a splendid job. After all these years the JV is a joke, from a customer's perspective.
Old Jul 14, 11, 3:03 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by mnredfox View Post
Uh, DL doesn't make announcements. Think about changes to award calendars, CRJ7/9 baggage rules, etc
What changes to the CRJ7/9 baggage rules? Despite much speculation, there is zero evidence that the rules differ (or ever differed) from the published DL rules. Accordingly, DL is unable to announce anything, and can only point you to the rules which are published on their website.

Similarly, I fail to see why DL should make an announcement or remind folks of the published rules simply because someone on FT was apprised of "very reliable chatter" from some guy that works at curbside check-in. This is a rumor. There is no reason to expect DL to address all the rumors that are floated on FT. When, and if, DL changes the luggage allowance, I am sure they will publish the changes on Delta.com.
Old Jul 14, 11, 3:53 am

Programs: DL Million Miler
>>>>>>>And how many people really stuff a suitcase full to 70 pounds when flying domestically?

1) Beer runs to the west coast;

2) Bourbon runs to LEX and SDF;

3) Year's supply of Skyline chili from CVG;
Old Jul 14, 11, 5:20 am

Programs: DL Plat AA Gold Airtran Elite HH Diamond Marriott Plat *Wood Plat
Good idea, more bag fees! We all know DL doesn't make money flying, only on fees

Search this Thread
Search Engine: