Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL to Limit ALL Baggage to 50lbs?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you KLM, for proving that it was essentially a union based thing, made as a work-to-rule action which was ultimately unsuccessful and had no ultimate impact on anything (which you cited from a Dutch H&S website).
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:52 am

Programs: AA EXP, United PS, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Amtrak
Originally Posted by avidflyer
Same at LAX...closer to 45 mins from what I hear.
45 minutes to an hour easy. Just about every time I am there, probably once a quarter.

I always take into consideration the destination airport/my schedule when debating whether to check a bag. Laundry facilities are your friend.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by florin
I think that everyone here knows that NOT checking is better than checking bags. There are PLENTY of lectures about that on FT. It's just not always possible. Yes, for Monday-Thursday or weekend travel - by all means. But if you have a longer trip and you're traveling somewhere where and when the weather changes (e.g. early March to mid April), you have to carry various work materials, vacation gear (e.g. SCUBA), you go somewhere and you want to do some shopping and in MANY other situations you really can't just have a carry on.
I realize that not everyone can carry on. And if you are in a climate like SF where you don't know if you will need shorts or long sleeves and a jacket, it is difficult to pack light.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by DeltaWings
45 minutes to an hour easy. Just about every time I am there, probably once a quarter.

I always take into consideration the destination airport/my schedule when debating whether to check a bag. Laundry facilities are your friend.
DTW is hard to predict. I have only checked a bag on Delta twice this year and in March when I flew MIA/DTW, I went in the skyclub just to use the restroom and refill my water bottle and my bag was on the belt when I got down there. MDW to DTW on Memorial Day, I went into the sky club to use the wifi to send a couple emails and ended up staying a few minutes to chat with someone I ran into and it was almost 45 minuytes after I got to baggage claim before our bags came out. This was a CRJ and there were only four people that landed in Detroit waiting at baggage claim (many of the people connected in DTW).

I wish the skyclub would have baggage claim monitors in them to check the status of your flights bags.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by hfly
Thank you KLM, for proving that it was essentially a union based thing, made as a work-to-rule action which was ultimately unsuccessful and had no ultimate impact on anything (which you cited from a Dutch H&S website).
Actually that was just one of many, many data points that refute your original, erroneous statement that "It was NEVER EVER a real factor in Europe, nor was it ever a real factor in the US." It is a very real factor in Europe where employees have not been converted into powerless serfs abused under predator capitalism. It was factor enough for AFKL to have dramatically changed policy, some of which has again been loosened due to the influence of the good old boys in ATL.

The initiative to set international standards for luggage weight is still active and is just one of many examples over the years of the proactive role that Dutch governmental, public, semi-public, and private organizations take by actually cooperating together as engaged and rational adults and together with international institutions in setting standards for commerce on the global stage that are sustainable and good for and respectful of people rather than dangerous and exploitative.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:45 am

Originally Posted by plagwate
Contestants on The Amazing Race do it every season with just a backpack. Just sayin. Granted, they're not toting around formal wear but does a tux weigh that much?
I'm still skeptical that they're really carrying *everything* with them. I honestly think the producers stage things like their heavier coats for when they go to cold places, rather than have them try to pack them in those backpacks. No proof, but I wouldn't be surprised at all.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hertz Gold PC
Originally Posted by florin
I think that everyone here knows that NOT checking is better than checking bags. There are PLENTY of lectures about that on FT. It's just not always possible. Yes, for Monday-Thursday or weekend travel - by all means. But if you have a longer trip and you're traveling somewhere where and when the weather changes (e.g. early March to mid April), you have to carry various work materials, vacation gear (e.g. SCUBA), you go somewhere and you want to do some shopping and in MANY other situations you really can't just have a carry on.
Even as a person who has to spend a few month in a year in different (from south CA) climate zones, I can definitely pack in a carry-on, no problem with that.
The real problem for me is the TSA regulations. I'm usually taking 2-3 bottles of wine, which I can not buy at the destination, but would like to have. Since there are no ways to pack it in carry-on, I'm stacked with the baggage....

Going back to OT, I seriously doubt that the global (including International flight and F/BE cabin) reduction to 50lb is even possible. For many International destinations the limits are protected by regulations in other countries (like in Brasil, where you can take 2x70lb bags even in coach), which DL or unions would not be able to fight.

It seems that Domestic baggage weight limit rules could be unified (as avidflyer already said) with International ones.
I believe it would be the most restrictive rules, which are TATL rules at the moment:
1x50lb in coach (+1 for Medallions)
2x50lb in coach on full Y (+0 for Medallions)
2x70lb in BE (+1 for Medallions)

As usual for bad news, it will probably appear on DL.com "Checked Baggage" page without any announcement.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL DM, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Disney Platinum ;)
Originally Posted by plagwate
Contestants on The Amazing Race do it every season with just a backpack. Just sayin. Granted, they're not toting around formal wear but does a tux weigh that much?
I'm thinking I would need to look and smell better on a cruise than the folks on Amazing Race do.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh please, you do re alize that in the scope of World avaiation, what the Dutch want or need means absolutely nothing (hence why you could not even keep your flag carrier independent, and I say that as a many year FD top tier member). Actually it was loosened because AF and KL's top tier elites and Premium travellers went into rebellion about it, that is why they flip flopped on the issue, because essentially it was a ruse to make money from their passengers - AGAIN KLM please explain why it would make ANY DIFFERENCE whatsoever whether your precious ramp workers were injured from a 70 lb bag which was checked for free or whether the airline collected 200 EUR on it??????

Again phantom H&S concerns tabled by unions in their negotiations has NEVER EVER been a factor in these situations, just an excuse.

Why don't you harp on about "zombie airlines" some more, just be honest and throw all the historical European subsidies in as well this time..........
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL DM, Fairmont Platinum, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Disney Platinum ;)
I must say I rarely wait for my bag unless I'm arriving late in the evening and/or there is no Sky Club. I usually stop by, freshen up, enjoy a beverage, and then go on my way.

Even when my bag is literally 50 feet (ok 100 feet) from the carousel (say gate 15 at DCA) it can take 30 minutes. Last trip I took the time to catch up with the wonderful lounge staff and then strolled on down, grabbed my bag, and went on my merry way.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by hfly
Oh please, you do re alize that in the scope of World avaiation, what the Dutch want or need means absolutely nothing (hence why you could not even keep your flag carrier independent, and I say that as a many year FD top tier member). Actually it was loosened because AF and KL's top tier elites and Premium travellers went into rebellion about it, that is why they flip flopped on the issue, because essentially it was a ruse to make money from their passengers - AGAIN KLM please explain why it would make ANY DIFFERENCE whatsoever whether your precious ramp workers were injured from a 70 lb bag which was checked for free or whether the airline collected 200 EUR on it??????

Again phantom H&S concerns tabled by unions in their negotiations has NEVER EVER been a factor in these situations, just an excuse.

Why don't you harp on about "zombie airlines" some more, just be honest and throw all the historical European subsidies in as well this time..........
Or as they say in Atlanta: "Screw the employee. When he or she becomes disabled from an unsafe or poorly designed work environment they can just collect disability from the government or go crawl into a cave for all I care. Who gives a damn?"

Of course the weight restrictions will only truly be effective when they apply to all bags. Just like finite fossil fuel conservation and carbon emission restrictions also only will truly be effective when applicable to all countries. Which is why the Dutch continue to proactively approach these and issues with the appropriate international institutions and to lead by example where possible.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What on Earth are you talking about? The Dutch put in an envioironmental tax and then saw their O/D passengers PLUMMET because DUTCH passengers stopped flying to/fr Schipol, and they repealed the "green" tax.

Same goes for your thoughts on ramp safety. It seems you are once again quite confused. It is in Europe where the worker would become a "ward" of the state. In the US, depending on state and company, these costs would be either covered by their private health and disability insurance, state disability or a combination of both.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL-DM/ 2MM
Originally Posted by javabytes
I don't see too much of an issue. Much better for the baggage handlers. And how many people really stuff a suitcase full to 70 pounds when flying domestically? (Note: With a post like this, FT statistics tell me that the next post is sure to be from a person who says they bring 70 pounds. The point is, would-be poster, you are in a very small minority.)

I've seen kettles bring some carry-ons that had to be stuffed close to 70 pounds though...
Who travels with more than 50 lbs per bag? Those of us that travel for work with things other than nifty business suits, powerpoint presentations, and 50 ml bottles of shampoo. I routinely travel with ~200 lbs total baggage: three checked at 50-70 lbs plus carry on, both domestically and internationally, and I have done so to more than 20 countries on every continent and I ain't a kettle. Limiting checked bags to <50 would crush my ability to do my work. Its not a question of repacking , since many instruments I travel with are themselves 40-50 lbs, and add up to more than 50 with the pelican case or packing crate. With this change I would overnight be forced to move my business to another airline, and this heads-up is appreciated so that I can be sure to maintain my elite status on UA/CO this year.

And since when is flyertalk only about the majority view? Are those in the minority supposed to remain silent?
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:36 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by geoflyer
Who travels with more than 50 lbs per bag? Those of us that travel for work with things other than nifty business suits, powerpoint presentations, and 50 ml bottles of shampoo. I routinely travel with ~200 lbs total baggage: three checked at 50-70 lbs plus carry on, both domestically and internationally, and I have done so to more than 20 countries on every continent and I ain't a kettle. Limiting checked bags to <50 would crush my ability to do my work. Its not a question of repacking , since many instruments I travel with are themselves 40-50 lbs, and add up to more than 50 with the pelican case or packing crate. With this change I would overnight be forced to move my business to another airline, and this heads-up is appreciated so that I can be sure to maintain my elite status on UA/CO this year.

And since when is flyertalk only about the majority view? Are those in the minority supposed to remain silent?
No you are not supposed to remain silent. What will you do when UA/CO change their baggage allowance to match Delta's? It seems like when one airline does something, the others follow. I am not trying to argue with you, but I would be looking at an alternative way of transporting my stuff.
Old Jul 14, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by avidflyer
I agree. That is a pretty tough clothing requirement but I am on the road 3 weeks a month from HKG to AMS to DBX and I have not checked a bag since 1999. Laundry services are your friend and most people pack way more than they actually need. I qualify this as only for those who do not travel with tools or sales samples and the like. Other than the above there is no need to ever hang out in an airport for an extra 1/2 hour waiting for a bag...By that time I am in my hotel room
This makes me have a slight amount of packing envy. Well played.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.