Wiki Posts
Search

Worst seat mate of my life. Long read.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by LGANightOwl
I thought of this thread on a flight I took today. Unwiding in the hotel right now and thought I'd vent a bit... Not sure if he's the "worst seat mate" or not, but he's up there somewhere.

Both in Y. I have window, middle seat empty, he has aisle. He was on the phone loudly while we were at the gate. I've seen worst, so didn't think twice about it.

I had to work throughout the 3 hour flight, and so did he. He was using the middle seat as a desk to put his papers. I had papers galore also, so I "borrowed" the middle seat and unbeknownst to me, a corner of my papers overlapped his. As he was looking for something in his stash, he noticed my "intrusion" and smacked his lips in clear annoyance and pushed my papers slightly over to my side. I decide to ignore him.

Drink cart comes through. *HE* puts the middle seat tray table down and uses it to hold his drink. No problem. I put a few of my papers on "my side" of the middle tray table since I needed the space to look for something else. 20 minutes later, his drink is spilled over my paper. Not a word from him. Not even a "sorry." Pulled my papers, and didn't use the tray table from then on.

Final approach. We both clear off our papers and I restow them in my bag. The middle tray table is clear but still down. FA comes at 10K feet and was trying to get a family a few rows in front of me to "un-recline" their seats. FA's a bit annoyed because some members of the family refused to cooperate (or didn't cooperate fast enough). I knew a few words were exchanged, but decided to look out the window. FA catches me off guard and says to us "you have to fold that tray table up." The guy says, "are you done with it?" I must have had a look of confusion on my face because I was wondering how he assumed that I wasn't done using the tray after he spilled Coke over my papers. FA looks at me and says "well, if you're done, please fold it up. We're on final approach." Not one to argue with an FA, I ended up folding up the tray table and the guy closes his eyes for a "nap."

All I can say now is "wow!"
I'd have been so tempted to spill something on his papers 'accidentally'
Old Jul 11, 2011, 7:26 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
that's the type of battle I have never been good at winning, because it's like a battle to the bottom over petty stupid stuff.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 7:04 am

Programs: DL/KM Platinum, STE+, Hertz Prezzie
Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
that's the type of battle I have never been good at winning, because it's like a battle to the bottom over petty stupid stuff.
Yes, but scraping the bottom of the barrel makes such a fun noise.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:21 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, Marriott Gold
is it just me or does this post seem to come off as more of a "look at me" than an actual story?
Old Jul 12, 2011, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
I often take the bulkhead window on longer domestic flights so that I can access the aisle anytime without making the other person get out of their seat. So yesterday, I am in 1D on ATL-PHX and the guy in 1C takes off his cowboy boots, leaves them on the floor in front and spends most of the flight with feet propped up the bulkhead. He was a nice enough fellow, had at least 5 Jack and cokes in addition to the two that I saw him order in the ATL SC

Feet on the bulkhead, whether in shoes, socks or bare, should simply be prohibited!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:08 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by TMacATL
is it just me or does this post seem to come off as more of a "look at me" than an actual story?
I thought the same thing.
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:12 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by stencil
I thought the same thing.
While the guy next to him was clearly obnoxious, I do agree with you and TMacATL. I'm his age and recently completed my masters while working full-time. I must admit I am a little envious I can't work part-time pursuing my undergraduate and travel that much at this age!
Old Jul 12, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Marriott Gold, Hilton, Hertz
Smile I can top that (and I suspect we call can)

Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Quick background, 25 year old male here, part time employed while in college (took a few years off after hs) way into the milage game, loving my status.

So yesterday afternoon I'm flying MSP-SNA, as a PM my upgrade clears about a day and a half before departure, on a last min Q fare. I board when they call for first. After about 20 min of boarding it looks like the plane is almost full, there are 2 remaining first seats, I saw at least one DM pax walking to coach. The GA sticks her head into the plane and the lead FA says we have 2 left open. A few min later a couple people walk on and sit in the two empty first seats, I assume FO pax who sat at the gate hoping for a shot at the last seats.

The one who sat next to me....omfg....where to begin? Well he does not even sit down, or make it to his seat before he demands his pfb, "I want a water and a wine", THEN puts his bag away and sits down. After a few min off sitting around he starts in with the normal "flying home or from somewhere else? Going for work or fun?" the normal crap. Eventually we come around to me being a student and working on computer science. "your a little old for college aren't you?" so I explain I took some time off before college. He asks me where I live and I at in in the dorms "they let someone as ....ig old as you live in the dorms?!". he then dives into how he's got this product he's developing that sprint and verizon are going to be all over and how I will remember sitting next to him in a few years as he's going to be that fameous.

At this point we are pulling out of the gate and I burry my nose in Sky mag and try to make it obvious I dont want to talk anyore.

He then props his feet up on the bulkhead, in shorts and sandals, with his feet covered in red bug bites and sores. He sits there scratching at them while then proceeding to grill me on why I am I first. "oh I fly a lot so I have status and get upgraded". "no way you fly that much" I explain Ive flow about 30 trips this year so far, he does not believe that that would earn me upgrades. I try to quickly comment that a number of them are international so they earn me a lot, London twice, Paris, st Thomas, Taipei. "why in the .... would you go to Taipei? Who on earth would want to go to Taiwan!?!?". I don't really feel like trying to explain a cheap MR and me wanting to see the new W there. He then grills me about where I have money, how can I afford it. Like it's any of his god damn business.

After pressing me for what my parents do and if they pay for me ("spoil me"). We finally pass 10k feet and I quickly pull out my iPad and plug in my earphones. After a few min he gets out his laptop and starts working on emails. About 3 wines later, he passes out, slumped over his laptop mid sentence for about an hour and a half. When he finally awakens near the end of the flight he sits there flipping the armrest cover up and down quickly for about 5 min while the FAs and other pax watch in disgust. He then picks up his empty watter bottle, and starts tapping out some tune with it by slamming it against the metal on the armrest while slapping his bare leg.

Long story short, I was miserable.

I sat next to a gentleman on a flight in 1st from SLC to JFK, he was a large man who claimed to live in the Hamptons (not unlike George Costanza from Seinfeld I suspect) and as the flight progressed and the booze continued to flow he told me what he wanted to do with me and asked if I would consider being his mistress because 'that's how we roll in the Hamptons'.

FA were aware as were several other passengers, but unfortunately no one was there to help me out of my unwitting predicament. It was awful! But in all honesty has made a great story to share....so there is always that!

Last edited by LeslieJam; Jul 12, 2011 at 2:25 pm Reason: spelling
Old Jul 12, 2011, 7:32 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by RobertS975
Feet on the bulkhead, whether in shoes, socks or bare, should simply be prohibited!
I've never understood why people hate this so much.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 6:58 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by BadgerBoi
I've never understood why people hate this so much.
Oh I dunno, uncouth maybe?

It's not unlike nostril maintenance, which you are perfectly free to perform as well. Who really cares about manners and decorum anymore?
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:17 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by LeslieJam
I sat next to a gentleman on a flight in 1st from SLC to JFK, he was a large man who claimed to live in the Hamptons (not unlike George Costanza from Seinfeld I suspect) and as the flight progressed and the booze continued to flow he told me what he wanted to do with me and asked if I would consider being his mistress because 'that's how we roll in the Hamptons'.

FA were aware as were several other passengers, but unfortunately no one was there to help me out of my unwitting predicament. It was awful! But in all honesty has made a great story to share....so there is always that!
So a drunk guy from New York hit on you? Welcome to Tuesday.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 7:52 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by TMacATL
^
Old Jul 13, 2011, 4:54 pm

Programs: QFF Gold, Flying Blue, Enrich
Originally Posted by Sabai
Oh I dunno, uncouth maybe?

It's not unlike nostril maintenance, which you are perfectly free to perform as well. Who really cares about manners and decorum anymore?
Yeah uncouth certainly, but it doesn't merit the hysteria that people greet it with on this forum.

And it's very unlike nostril maintenance. The chances of coming into contact with something revolting are much, much less likely from the foot on the bulkhead than the flick-and-wipe from the nose miner. Any comparison between the two is ridiculous.

I may be free to perform either act, but the fact is I don't indulge in either behaviour; but of course you weren't implying that I do, were you.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hy Glob,Choice Dia, MR TIT,IHG SPR,HH Dia, Wyn Dia, UA Sil, WN Alis, Hert 5*, National EE
This thread is ridiculous. In my opinion many of the complainers are the "d-bags".
I personally do not strike up conversations on the plane except on final descent and that is rare. I do not care if someone talks to me, in fact sometimes I enjoy it.

-But complaining about a banana!!!-I hate to break it to you but if bananas upset you so much you might want to go see a psychiatrist because that is plain weird.
-Tuna in FC! "OH MY" "HOW DARE HE!" (Its served on United F with the little snack boxes)
-Feet on the bulkhead-What does it matter, if someone was wearing shorts on the flight before you there is a good chance bare skin touched your seat (GASP)
-BO/smelly feet are a fact of life, if you dont like it, fly netjets. I agree that people should shower before a flight but on a plane with 150 people someone slept in and didnt shower, someone probably has a BO problem, someone probably had a late connection and ran through the airport causing sweaty feet.

I know I have ran for many connections especially this year.

I like these threads bc some of them crack me up (eg wanking on landing).
But to be genuinely upset with someone for half of these complaints is weird.

Ripping Farts,boogers,out of control drunk I understand, but you guys complain to much.
Old Jul 13, 2011, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL/KM Platinum, STE+, Hertz Prezzie
Originally Posted by LeslieJam

Should have told him about your rash.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.