Wiki Posts
Search

Worst seat mate of my life. Long read.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2011, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Worst seat mate of my life. Long read.

Quick background, 25 year old male here, part time employed while in college (took a few years off after hs) way into the milage game, loving my status.

So yesterday afternoon I'm flying MSP-SNA, as a PM my upgrade clears about a day and a half before departure, on a last min Q fare. I board when they call for first. After about 20 min of boarding it looks like the plane is almost full, there are 2 remaining first seats, I saw at least one DM pax walking to coach. The GA sticks her head into the plane and the lead FA says we have 2 left open. A few min later a couple people walk on and sit in the two empty first seats, I assume FO pax who sat at the gate hoping for a shot at the last seats.

The one who sat next to me....omfg....where to begin? Well he does not even sit down, or make it to his seat before he demands his pfb, "I want a water and a wine", THEN puts his bag away and sits down. After a few min off sitting around he starts in with the normal "flying home or from somewhere else? Going for work or fun?" the normal crap. Eventually we come around to me being a student and working on computer science. "your a little old for college aren't you?" so I explain I took some time off before college. He asks me where I live and I at in in the dorms "they let someone as ....ig old as you live in the dorms?!". he then dives into how he's got this product he's developing that sprint and verizon are going to be all over and how I will remember sitting next to him in a few years as he's going to be that fameous.

At this point we are pulling out of the gate and I burry my nose in Sky mag and try to make it obvious I dont want to talk anyore.

He then props his feet up on the bulkhead, in shorts and sandals, with his feet covered in red bug bites and sores. He sits there scratching at them while then proceeding to grill me on why I am I first. "oh I fly a lot so I have status and get upgraded". "no way you fly that much" I explain Ive flow about 30 trips this year so far, he does not believe that that would earn me upgrades. I try to quickly comment that a number of them are international so they earn me a lot, London twice, Paris, st Thomas, Taipei. "why in the .... would you go to Taipei? Who on earth would want to go to Taiwan!?!?". I don't really feel like trying to explain a cheap MR and me wanting to see the new W there. He then grills me about where I have money, how can I afford it. Like it's any of his god damn business.

After pressing me for what my parents do and if they pay for me ("spoil me"). We finally pass 10k feet and I quickly pull out my iPad and plug in my earphones. After a few min he gets out his laptop and starts working on emails. About 3 wines later, he passes out, slumped over his laptop mid sentence for about an hour and a half. When he finally awakens near the end of the flight he sits there flipping the armrest cover up and down quickly for about 5 min while the FAs and other pax watch in disgust. He then picks up his empty watter bottle, and starts tapping out some tune with it by slamming it against the metal on the armrest while slapping his bare leg.

Long story short, I was miserable.

Last edited by xolinlevh; Jul 9, 2011 at 6:45 pm
Old Jul 9, 2011, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by xolinlevh
Quick background, 25 year old male here, part time employed while in college (took a few years off after hs) way into the milage game, loving my status.

So yesterday afternoon I'm flying MSP-SNA, as a PM my upgrade clears about a day and a half before departure, on a last min Q fare. I board when they call for first. After about 20 min of boarding it looks like the plane is almost full, there are 2 remaining first seats, I saw at least one DM pax walking to coach. The GA sticks her head into the plane and the lead FA says we have 2 left open. A few min later a couple people walk on and sit in the two empty first seats, I assume FO pax who sat at the gate hoping for a shot at the last seats.

The one who sat next to me....omfg....where to begin? Well he does not even sit down, or make it to his seat before he demands his pfb, "I want a water and a wine", THEN puts his bag away and sits down. After a few min off sitting around he starts in with the normal "flying home or from somewhere else? Going for work or business?" the normal crap. Eventually we come around to me being a student and working on computer science. "your a little old for college aren't you?" so I explain I took some time off before college. He asks me where I live and I at in in the dorms "they let someone as ....ig old as you live in the dorms?!". he then dives into how he's got this product he's developing that sprint and verizon are going to be all over and how I will remember sitting next to him in a few years as he's going to be that fameous.

At this point we are pulling out of the gate and I burry my nose in Sky mag and try to make it obvious I dont want to talk anyore.

He then props his feet up on the bulkhead, in shorts and sandals, with his feet covered in red bug bites and sores. He sits there scratching at them while then proceeding to grill me on why I am I first. "oh I fly a lot so I have status and get upgraded". "no way you fly that much" I explain Ive flow about 30 trips this year so far, he does not believe that that would earn me upgrades. I try to quickly comment that a number of them are international so they earn me a lot, London twice, Paris, st Thomas, Taipei. "why in the .... would you go to Taipei? Who on earth would want to go to Taiwan!?!?". I don't really feel like trying to explain a cheap MR and me wanting to see the new W there. He then grills me about where I have money, how can I afford it. Like it's any of his god damn business.

After pressing me for what my parents do and if they pay for me ("spoil me"). We finally pass 10k feet and I quickly pull out my iPad and plug in my earphones. After a few min he gets out his laptop and starts working on emails. About 3 wines later, he passes out, slumped over his laptop mid sentence for about an hour and a half. When he finally awakens near the end of the flight he sits there flipping the armrest cover up and down quickly for about 5 min while the FAs and other pax watch in disgust. He then picks up his empty watter bottle, and starts tapping out some tune with it by slamming it against the metal on the armrest while slapping his bare leg.

Long story short, I was miserable.
We are all losers of the horrific seat mate lottery from time to time. I feel your pain. Nice job on the post too. Usually when I see "long read" in the title it is a single mega paragraph that is too hard to read.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by avidflyer
We are all losers of the horrific seat mate lottery from time to time. I feel your pain. Nice job on the post too. Usually when I see "long read" in the title it is a single mega paragraph that is too hard to read.
Tried to break it up into good punctuation. On my iPad though so it wasn't super easy!
Old Jul 9, 2011, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
So the guy talked to you (OMG!) while under 10k ft? Then passed out. That's it? Seriously?

I've had seatmates 10x as bad.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 6:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
I suggest you make up a crazy story... "heading to a NAMBLA conference to fight for my rights" will end the conversation typically... if you need em gone, the "going to the Mayo Clinic to see if they can get rid of this rash I got from a Monkey bite in Africa" is the one to use....
Old Jul 9, 2011, 6:29 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
I suggest you make up a crazy story... "heading to a NAMBLA conference to fight for my rights" will end the conversation typically... if you need em gone, the "going to the Mayo Clinic to see if they can get rid of this rash I got from a Monkey bite in Africa" is the one to use....
NAMBLA - "National Association of Marlon Brando Look Alikes" ?
Old Jul 9, 2011, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by spartanflyer
The horror...
Old Jul 9, 2011, 6:46 pm

Programs: Bonvoy (Titanium) . Delta (Platinum)
Is it a rule that a story like this isn't allowed on this board without a DM walking back to coach?
Old Jul 9, 2011, 6:49 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Air Canada Aeroplan, Delta Sky Miles
I've had a few similar types of people sit next to me on flights, in both coach and the premium cabins - drunks, obnoxious, rude, nosy, assorted DWIA types, etc. Normally I don't encourage conversations with a seat mate, but have done so on the rare occasion.

I don't like being interrogated, period.

If a stranger on an airplane starts with I deem to be interrogation, I will politely ask that they refrain from asking such questions, and advise them that I want to read and/or relax for the rest of the flight. This usually shuts them up. I would NEVER continue a conversation with someone who made such condescending comments and/or asked personal questions.

It sounds like the obnoxious seatmate in this situation was simply craving attention and was looking for an audience.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 6:56 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Thumbs up

thumbs up for missing the South Park reference.

My worst, off the top of my head, was the lady who changed her 3 week old's diaper in F right next to me. Babys foot poking me in the ribs the whole time. that was gross.

yes, I know changing a baby int he bathroom is difficult.

However, is it necessary to fold up the poopy diaper and place it, without a plastic bag much less a zip lock, in your carry on? the smell...

The horror...
Old Jul 9, 2011, 7:00 pm

Programs: DL SM, PC Gold Elite
If only.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 7:09 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
You haven't lived until your calves and feet are bitten up by gnats as you watch the sun set over Lake Huron
Old Jul 9, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: Skyteam
I sat next to an older gentleman who cleared his sinus into a bag for the 2 hours from msp - mgm.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 7:12 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
While this guy sounds like a d-bag, he seems to come from the dime-a-dozen barrell. Your mistake #1, was acknowledging and responding to his banter.
Old Jul 9, 2011, 7:13 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Originally Posted by ludocdoc
thumbs up for missing the South Park reference.

My worst, off the top of my head, was the lady who changed her 3 week old's diaper in F right next to me. Babys foot poking me in the ribs the whole time. that was gross.

yes, I know changing a baby int he bathroom is difficult.

However, is it necessary to fold up the poopy diaper and place it, without a plastic bag much less a zip lock, in your carry on? the smell...

The horror...
The thing to do is to encase it in a Ziploc (or two) for eternity and dispose in the trash.

It will biodegrade in 5000 years or so.

Think how many diapers are in landfills etc.

It is mindboggling really.

Still not a reason to do cloth diapers tho

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.