Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Diamond that acts like a 2 yr old

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2011, 4:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mapsgl
I thought this was going to be about me, but I am only a PM.

I saw a meltdown of a DM this past Friday There were some IROPS and a large number of medallions were flying in the back. Had a notice on check in asking for VDB . I refused as my sons third birthday was the next day. I had his present in the bin above my seat I even checked my bag knowing how tight it would be.

A DM boards late and there is no bin space left. He slams his bag down. Jingles his DM tags and request that my bag be moved. I refuse, tell him why - not that I need to - then he gets an FA.

FA tells him he needs to gate check, tantrum ensues, more tag jingling. He has to gate check, he pouts and complains for the next 30 mins. **sigh**
I have been on flights like this where people seem to think they are entitled to overhead space....(They are not)...I like how its good old fashioned "first come, first serve"..so when that general member fills the overhead bin where the DM is sitting, then they are SOL...thats the way the cookie crumbles
Old Jun 27, 2011, 4:48 am

Programs: DL: PM/2MM; MHG; HH;
Originally Posted by Winkdaddy
I have been on flights like this where people seem to think they are entitled to overhead space....(They are not)...I like how its good old fashioned "first come, first serve"..so when that general member fills the overhead bin where the DM is sitting, then they are SOL...thats the way the cookie crumbles
Yep and that's why I am reluctant to be "monitor" lice and play the UG waiting game. At least I get some OH space if I board in zone 1-2.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 4:56 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Diamond that acts like a 2 yr old

May as well have titled this "The Sky is Blue."

(Spoken from a jealous Plat.)
Old Jun 27, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Gold,Hertz President's Circle, AMEX Delta Reserve, GE/NEXUS
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
I flew on 2 ... 2 hour RJs last week with no FC. I never asked for a drink as I was trying to knap through them. Has any DM/PM gotten any drink comped or whatever on ASA and/or the other regionals? It seems like I hear a lot about this happening on the mainlines.
I flew on a RJ with no FC cabin from DTW-BUF on 6/19. The FA stopped at my row, introduced herself, thanked me for my loyalty, and asked us (she could tell my row mate was my companion) if she could get us drinks (they were comped).

I also have to thank Delta for moving my non-status companion from row 17 to the empty seat next to me. It was a great flight indeed!
Old Jun 27, 2011, 10:15 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I'm always conflicted about folks flashing their DM credentials. In some instances, I do believe that elite status should carry with it some preference in assisting a pax with their needs. That said, tantrums and inapproproate requests are not cool, for anyone.

In many cases I find the GAs and FAs have been hampered by the IT system and some of the "automations" designed to create a more "convenient" travel experience.

My suggestions to the tantrum-prone...

Option #1: Call the elite line. They seem to be able to fix a lot...unless the flight is already under airport control.

Option #2: Politely ask to speak with a red coat. They can often fix a lot and, if they can't fix it it likely can't be fixed.

Option #3: Head to the SC. I've seen those ladies and gentlemen work miracles, turn water into wine and once they even parted the Red Sea for me.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:46 am

Programs: DL DM, UA G, Marriot Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
My suggestions to the tantrum-prone...

Option #1: Call the elite line. They seem to be able to fix a lot...unless the flight is already under airport control.

Option #2: Politely ask to speak with a red coat. They can often fix a lot and, if they can't fix it it likely can't be fixed.

Option #3: Head to the SC. I've seen those ladies and gentlemen work miracles, turn water into wine and once they even parted the Red Sea for me.
and if all else fails and/or you have zero time to address the issue directly, filing a complaint @ DL.com as soon as you get on gogo also helps let go of some of that crankiness.
Old Jun 27, 2011, 11:51 am

I didn't know about jangling my bag tags! Is that some kind of magic spell?
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by buffcoat
To some DYKWIA DM's it is!
Old Jun 27, 2011, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by buffcoat
Only DM bag tags jangle, they are metal you know!
Old Jun 27, 2011, 1:34 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by Cellisttoo
Only DM bag tags jangle, they are metal you know!
I covered mine with clear tape to reduce the jangle.

Plus it's undignified -- much better to have a FO walk in front you shouting "Make way for the Diamond"
Old Jun 27, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I covered mine with clear tape to reduce the jangle.

Plus it's undignified -- much better to have a FO walk in front you shouting "Make way for the Diamond"
LOL. ^
Old Jun 27, 2011, 2:11 pm

Here's a hint.

If at any time during your internaction with Delta you say the following

"I am a DIAMOND" so loudly that everyone within a mlle heard you... (generally they can see that.... you are dangling those tags and it's on your boarding pass and locator record) or " I paid XXX for this flight" It's time to get a grip. Your entitlement sense is getting out of control.

Being a "Diamond" does not mean that other passengers will be thrown off the plane for you! Being a "Diamond" does not mean that the "the rules don't apply to me I am special" Being a "Diamond" NEVER gave you the right to treat Delta employees as if they were your personal servants!

If the above statements are accompanied by stomping your feet, whining or other inappropriate behavior including "threats" (AKA as "I will get you fired for this") congratulations, you have progressed to the level of a two year old told she/he can't play with their favorite toy!
Old Jun 27, 2011, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I have witnessed 100 DYKWIA incidents, I would estimate that 60 of them were FO, 30 of them were GM, 9 of them were PM and one was DM. It has never failed to amaze me some of the garbage that Silver's come out with.............
Old Jun 28, 2011, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by hfly
If I have witnessed 100 DYKWIA incidents, I would estimate that 60 of them were FO, 30 of them were GM, 9 of them were PM and one was DM. It has never failed to amaze me some of the garbage that Silver's come out with.............
A HKG based Silver missing her flight:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbVw7entkxg
Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:13 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by andretti43
I flew on a RJ with no FC cabin from DTW-BUF on 6/19. The FA stopped at my row, introduced herself, thanked me for my loyalty, and asked us (she could tell my row mate was my companion) if she could get us drinks (they were comped).

I also have to thank Delta for moving my non-status companion from row 17 to the empty seat next to me. It was a great flight indeed!
Not that I am upset or anything, but I have never had a non mainline Delta FA specifcally say anything to me by name as far as creds go. I have heard it has happened to others recently, so perhaps it is something they have decided to do more of or it is a few FAs taking initiative.

As far as meltdowns and rants go, I have seen all types do it. It is funnier when a Precious Medal* does it... well, sometimes it is funny... other times, I just start to feel embarassed for the people making asses of themselves.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.