Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:25 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Three weeks ago I needed to go RDU-PHL R/T. DL was ~$850 R/T in coach (K one way and B on the return). WN was $378 R/T (and non-stop). I decided to use Matrix ITA to see if I could find cheaper DL flights. ITA came up with two OW's on DL, total price of $358. $124.60 one way in K. Return was $232.60 in P (which was actually booked in a B bucket). Obviously, I booked the latter, but it makes one wonder who's tending the store.

Two flights, both in B. One $500 less and in First Class...

I used to work in Rev Mgt for an airline in college. This has to be some kind of glitch. DL is leaving money on the table.
Please don't confuse us with facts. That is against the spirit of the loyalists who post on the DL forum
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by javabytes
Now that OP has confirmed the M fare was also non-refundable, I'm curious to hear how this still makes sense.
It may not be refundable but that does not mean it doesn't have other valuable benefits.

My M fare TLV-USA-TLV can be changed for up to 1 year at no charge (except for whatever difference in fares that might involve).

I am currently planning on flying TLV-JFK-LAS-ATL-JFK-TLV in December, with stopovers in JFK (one way), LAS, and ATL. It is considered to be a TLV-LAS-TLV itinerary with the maximum two permitted stopovers (JFK and ATL).

If I had purchased a K fare, I would not be allowed more than one stopover. Any change would involve a charge and the ticket's validity would be for a shorter period.

As things stand now, I could tell Delta that I will fly in June, keep my same outbound itinerary and, on my way back, fly LAS-MXP-TLV and Delta would arrange for me to be on a partner flight MXP-TLV.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:33 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by fti
Actually it is more amusing to read your posts...the only reason you haven't been 'ignored.'
I am glad that you appreciate my quick wit and cutting analysis. I recognize that my truths may be unpleasant, but they remain truths. Feel free to ignore me if you want, though, it will be your loss and not mine.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:33 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
On international flights, M fares are regularly more expensive than cheap business class (S or I fares)....Both are non-refundable

This is not new and has always been an issue when trying to use the SWUs
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:40 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pbarnette
I am glad that you appreciate my quick wit and cutting analysis. I recognize that my truths may be unpleasant, but they remain truths. Feel free to ignore me if you want, though, it will be your loss and not mine.
Yeah, like your 'truths' on another thread where you basically called me a liar that two tickets are not cheaper than one, but I gave you an example to prove it? I never said I appreciated your (lack of) cutting analysis. I just find it unfortunate that you embarrass yourself as much as you do. Sorry....no loss.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
On international flights, M fares are regularly more expensive than cheap business class (S or I fares)....Both are non-refundable

This is not new and has always been an issue when trying to use the SWUs
I think that is only true ex-USA. From Israel, M fares are invariably cheaper than S or I fares by a few hundred dollars. That, combined with the additional flexibility, is why I prefer to take them and sacrifice the SkyMiles for my upgrades.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
The WFBF comments are no less useful than these threads. This thread has no substance and can be boiled down to the following recycled "arguments":

1) DL should never sell F for anything less than a substantial premium over Y.
2) DL is only alienating their "best" customers, defined as those unwilling or unable to pay any revenue premium but deserve coach for frequently buying tickets at market rates.
1. Apparently, you consider $1 (or even $0) to be "substantial". The most common suggestion in this thread (did you read it?) is that Delta shouldn't sell F for less than Y.

2. Some people who "frequently" buy Delta tickets will often buy Delta tickets when they're slightly more expensive or less convenient than tickets from other airlines. This represents additional revenue to Delta. When such a customer sees Delta actually paying (that is, receiving less revenue from) others in order to seat them in F rather than Y, and such a customer therefore finds himself getting fewer free upgrades, said customer is much less likely to continue being loyal to Delta, resulting in a loss of revenue to Delta.

Want loyalty, buy loyalty. Selling F to kettles for $20 rather than upgrading medallions is bad enough; paying someone $20 to take it is a lot worse.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:47 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sethb
Want loyalty, buy loyalty. Selling F to kettles for $20 rather than upgrading medallions is bad enough; paying someone $20 to take it is a lot worse.
+1. But some people will never understand. I guess they need a bit more "cutting analysis" like yours
Old Nov 9, 2012, 10:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by fti
Yeah, like your 'truths' on another thread where you basically called me a liar that two tickets are not cheaper than one, but I gave you an example to prove it? I never said I appreciated your (lack of) cutting analysis. Sorry....no loss ignoring DL loyalists.
I didn't call you a liar for saying that two tickets are not cheaper than one. I said that you were conflating that fact with it not being possible to issue a single ticket. I acknowledged, multiple times and in plain language, that the ticket might be prohibitively expensive but that it could be issued.

I didn't go back to that thread and point out the obvious - which is that I was exactly right and that you misrepresented pricing issues as ticketing issues because I didn't think it necessary. You did it for me by posting the availability of single ticket options, though even then you didn't understand what you were posting. I didn't think it necessary to embarrass you and rub your face in it. But since you seem to like the taste so much that you bring it up here, I guess I have to, so I'll repeat it: you don't know what you are talking about and are misrepresenting pricing issues as ticketing issues.

So, yeah, my truths may be uncomfortable but they remain truths. You would do well to read them and actually understand them before trying to respond.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:02 am
Suspended

1. Apparently, you consider $1 (or even $0) to be "substantial". The most common suggestion in this thread (did you read it?) is that Delta shouldn't sell F for less than Y.
You misunderstand. I don't actually care whether it is a substantial premium or not, nor do I have a definition for it. My point is that airline pricing is dynamic and relates more to competitor pricing, capacity, and demand than the price for a seat in Y. I'm sure that DL doesn't want to make a habit of selling F below Y, but there may be times that it is the right call, even if seems counter-intuitive.

We are talking about a company that sells millions of tickets, these sorts of things should be expected, not blown up into some grand conspiracy to stick it to their "most valuable customers."

2. Some people who "frequently" buy Delta tickets will often buy Delta tickets when they're slightly more expensive or less convenient than tickets from other airlines.
Then those people are incredibly unlucky. I won't repeat why it is impossible for DL to actually charge FFers more, but suffice it to say, they can't. Invariably, though, such claims are like the guys who "always win" in Vegas - forgetting the losses and remembering the wins. The "I pay more" crowd are almost certainly forgetting when DL presents the best deal.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:12 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Originally Posted by singtx
A business making money is irritating?
Only here in FT. Lucky for the shareholders, I doubt anyone here will get close to a job in the C suite
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD

no one is selling F to "kettles" for $20 rather then upgrading anyone. They are selling F to EVERYONE before upgrading medallions which in this day & age of "Medallion" not equalling customers that "spend" more a good business decision.

To many (not all) here in FT love to brag how they earned Medallion, 1K or ExPlat for ridiculously low yearly spends. The airlines realize this. They are not stupid & while they have offered benefits that are "guaranteed", They don't say they can first try to squeeze every dollar they can first out if their "passengers". I don't use the word "kettles" since almost everyone here is a "kettle" compared to someone else.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
What does that have to do with anything? What matters is what the competition was charging for F.
As we are discussing FCM and its effects on the Delta SkyMiles program (revenue from upsell vs. upgrades as a FF benefit), it has everything to do with the topic at hand.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Honors, Marriott Rewards, Hertz #1 Gold
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
I assue you Delta is very hypersensitive to this... I sent notes to them more than once this year on this subject and each time, I got a call from a Delta customer care person within minutes and each time I was moved to FC. The refundable fare thing may be true in some cases, but each time I called, I had a full Y fare and was not cleared to FC and saw they were selling P fares for cheaper than the Y fare. Blah blah blah refundable.... blah blah blah you should pay for FC... if anyone cares to patronize me with their superior business acumen, I invite you to void yourself up a rope... the practice is BS and even they know it...
Very well said.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 12:07 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by javabytes
As we are discussing FCM and its effects on the Delta SkyMiles program (revenue from upsell vs. upgrades as a FF benefit), it has everything to do with the topic at hand.
Please avoid quoting people now on my Ignore list. Unfortunately FT can't suppress their tyrads when they are quoted in others' posts

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.