Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:05 am

Programs: Delta Dirt Medallion,AA,USairways, WN Rapid Rewards, National Emerald Club
Originally Posted by 123Go
JFK-TPA offered FCM at Checkin for $269. 8 open seats in FC
The price point is too high. The market will speak, and if Delta wants to sell seats it will drop its price.

IMO Delta is going through a phase of testing the market.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 8:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by hazelrah
...IMO Delta is going through a phase of testing the market.
For those of us who are in businesses subject to markets, continually testing them is something that never stops.

It is a whole lot more than a "phase."
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by JasYHZ
The funny thing was it booked us into the A fare bucket (which was CAD$1500 when I looked so shouldn't the fare difference have been the been almost a thousand bucks?) After I finished selecting seats and cleaning up the bookings I did a test booking for four more F seats on the same routing and flights and the $1500 A fare was still showing.
Thanks for sharing. I always thought that the price was, as you thought, the difference between whatever you paid and the A/whatever fare. Apparently there's more going on here!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Thanks for sharing. I always thought that the price was, as you thought, the difference between whatever you paid and the A/whatever fare. Apparently there's more going on here!
Revenue management has reduced FC ticket pricing to the equivalent of dickering in a third-world country bazaar.

You don't like the first priced offered so, after some back-and-forth, you start to walk away. Suddenly that last, best offer gets cut in half.

Old Feb 27, 2015, 10:16 am

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
You don't like the first priced offered so, after some back-and-forth, you start to walk away. Suddenly that last, best offer gets cut in half.
I falsely assumed that it was based on actual fare pricing, rules, and buckets, but there are other (albeit rare) examples of DL tickets that can be purchased that don't adhere to the normal procedures.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
jfk to cak through atl tomorrow. atl to cak was cleared at T-5 days. jfk to atl did not. I was offered, for $199.00, an upgrade. Its a 757 with flatbeds. Its tempting but not for $199.00. There are 7 seats available and I am #1 on the list. If the half that price and I get the bonus MQM's, I might pull the trigger.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:14 pm
Suspended

so, I checked in for my flight and I am no longer able to see the option to upgrade to F. Is there anything special you have to do?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
so, I checked in for my flight and I am no longer able to see the option to upgrade to F. Is there anything special you have to do?
Probably phone in, it might be too late for IT to handle it automatically.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by monitor
For those of us who are in businesses subject to markets, continually testing them is something that never stops.

It is a whole lot more than a "phase."
There's an initial phase where they move stuff (prices) around a lot trying to figure out something about the market, and then a long-term process where they slowly adjust pricing as appropriate.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Obviously a terrorist attack could have impact not just on the airlines but the entire travel industry. In any case, it would be relatively short term.
"Relatively short term" in terms of decades, maybe. How different would the entire travel industry be today if not for the 9/11 attacks?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
Originally Posted by DL2SXM
jfk to cak through atl tomorrow. atl to cak was cleared at T-5 days. jfk to atl did not. I was offered, for $199.00, an upgrade. Its a 757 with flatbeds. Its tempting but not for $199.00. There are 7 seats available and I am #1 on the list. If the half that price and I get the bonus MQM's, I might pull the trigger.
I didn't think we had the bonus MQM on first class tickets anymore. Is that right?
Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Esltroy
I didn't think we had the bonus MQM on first class tickets anymore. Is that right?
If the fare comes out a GAP fare, it receives bonus miles... it is an up purchase to a FC fare.

As opposed to the old at-the-gate paid UGs, which were just an UG.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
If the fare comes out a GAP fare, it receives bonus miles... it is an up purchase to a FC fare.

As opposed to the old at-the-gate paid UGs, which were just an UG.
Thanks I see that now for First Class Fares, (depending on the fare class of the First Class fare, there may be a 50% or 100% bonus of MQM) But, no extra bonus skymiles that is still based on price paid for the ticket.)
Old Feb 27, 2015, 4:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Esltroy
Thanks I see that now for First Class Fares, (depending on the fare class of the First Class fare, there may be a 50% or 100% bonus of MQM) But, no extra bonus skymiles that is still based on price paid for the ticket.)
Correct, I said bonus miles. I should have been more specific. I meant the MQM bonus miles.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Correct, I said bonus miles. I should have been more specific. I meant the MQM bonus miles.
Indeed... i'll probably get upgraded so not worried about FCM here but I would pay $99.00 for the extra MQM. Just looked again and its gone. I am quite surprised.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.