Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2022, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by xliioper
… Re-fare upgrade via ticket change will take original purchase price into account, but seat purchase upgrades (which don't result in an actual re-fare) don't seem to use that as a factor.
what I see more often than not is that the in-app upgrade offer on top of the original purchase price is more than the advertised price of a new F booking … using “Change Flight” has *usually* produced the lower add-collect to match a new booking
AeRoSpaceman and dmarge18 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2022, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by jrl767
what I see more often than not is that the in-app upgrade offer on top of the original purchase price is more than the advertised price of a new F booking … using “Change Flight” has *usually* produced the lower add-collect to match a new booking
The problem I find with using "Change Flight" is that I've purchased refundable Main Cabin fares and it always prices the new fare at Refundable First which is usually a massive price difference compared to refundable MC vs nonrefundable First. Be nice if they gave an option to lose the refundability but have the upfare be a bit more reasonable.
Old Jul 24, 2022, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
yeah, I just ran into that too … decided to just cancel and take the refund to my AmEx, then use some e-credits for the new flight

back on topic: tonight’s SEA-CVG (A220) upfare offer was ~$320 or ~30k miles; starting ~T-120 the app said “3 left at this price” ($300 over the coach fare; $460 over what I paid last week) and the seat map showed five open (C+ was sold out and Main had a handful of open seats); one F seat disappeared ~T-48 but “3 left” and zero C+ didn’t change … at T-24 I was 2 of 4 for 4 F seats; at T-12 I was 3 of 7 for zero

yeah, good for DL if they sold ‘em at the going rates, but while I was really looking forward to not having to wait for my Woodford tonight, those premiums were too high for a 4-hr flight
Old Sep 10, 2022, 3:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Good lord DL has gone off the rocker on these. They want $348 for an SBN-ATL CRJ9 with 2 people in First a little under 2 weeks from now, $698 for an ATL-MIA that’s wide open too, and $698 for an FLL-BOS…
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 10, 2022, 4:53 pm

Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
Good lord DL has gone off the rocker on these. They want $348 for an SBN-ATL CRJ9 with 2 people in First a little under 2 weeks from now, $698 for an ATL-MIA that’s wide open too, and $698 for an FLL-BOS…
i don't blame them, every flight im on has many takers
Old Sep 11, 2022, 9:01 am

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
In contrast I got offered $161 by AA to upgrade to F BOS-PHX. That's a great deal for a 5.5 hour flight. Wish I could get the same offers from DL.
GoBob, AeRoSpaceman and strickerj like this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
The DL offers I see are always tied to current inventory, which makes them quite realistic in that they are correlated with the going cost of a revenue ticket and RM's expectations on selling the cabin.

I have a more or less guaranteed upgrade coming up on CLE-MSP that DL will happily sell for $83 since it's an empty cabin, Z9.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by findark
The DL offers I see are always tied to current inventory, which makes them quite realistic in that they are correlated with the going cost of a revenue ticket and RM's expectations on selling the cabin.

I have a more or less guaranteed upgrade coming up on CLE-MSP that DL will happily sell for $83 since it's an empty cabin, Z9.
Agreed. At first glance, upgrade offer below looks pretty outrageous based on flight "fullness". But when you look at underlying bucket inventory for flights, it makes a lot more sense. Once could argue that RM bucket inventory doesn't always make sense. But it makes little sense to have limited availability in revenue buckets while having cheap upgrades on flights.

Old Oct 8, 2022, 3:48 am

Programs: DL Gold, AS MVPG, Globalist
Definitely a little disappointed with the FCM on today's DL81 CDG-SEA. J7, four on the upgrade list. Asked at the gate about paid upgrades to D1, and was told none were available.

Door is about to close, and they pull a couple nonrevs up to fill the last three open seats.

Not the end of the world, but would have happily given Delta $500 for a seat they gave away for free.
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2022, 11:36 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by dordal
Definitely a little disappointed with the FCM on today's DL81 CDG-SEA. J7, four on the upgrade list. Asked at the gate about paid upgrades to D1, and was told none were available.

Door is about to close, and they pull a couple nonrevs up to fill the last three open seats.

Not the end of the world, but would have happily given Delta $500 for a seat they gave away for free.
In theory, you can always pay from your current fare class to Delta One, but I believe that Upgrade Offers (cash or miles) are not offered on all flights. I feel your pain, but not sure what the staff can do if there is not an offer in the app or an offer they can process.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 8:12 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
I'm consistently getting $600 offers for VPS-ATL and back these days. If they actually let us use RUCs like they should, I may not be as upset at these rates, but that's a different story.
Old Oct 11, 2022, 11:15 am

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by dmarge18
I'm consistently getting $600 offers for VPS-ATL and back these days. If they actually let us use RUCs like they should, I may not be as upset at these rates, but that's a different story.
The rates they’re charging are truly absurd. I’ve yet to see an ATL-JAX under $510 the past few months. Had one that wasn’t too bad, they wanted $220 on the seat map to upgrade my JAX-BOS a few weeks ago but I went to modify flights and just upgraded the ticket to First that way for…only $100 in fare difference!
strickerj and dmarge18 like this.
Old Nov 1, 2022, 1:39 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Does Delta ever offer a FCM buyup at checkin if the flight is on a partner ticket but on DL metal? If so, does taking the buyup affect the earnings on the partner ticket if crediting to DL (ticket was booked on VS stock for the purpose of higher MQD earnings; all flights will be on DL metal)
Old Nov 1, 2022, 5:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by diburning
Does Delta ever offer a FCM buyup at checkin if the flight is on a partner ticket but on DL metal? If so, does taking the buyup affect the earnings on the partner ticket if crediting to DL (ticket was booked on VS stock for the purpose of higher MQD earnings; all flights will be on DL metal)
Can't say for certain you won't get any buy-up offers, but generally speaking any buy-up offers at check-in/airport doesn't actually change your booked class of service and is not eligible for higher earnings and class of service bonuses.
Old Nov 2, 2022, 1:44 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I'm not concerned about earnings from the buy-up, I just want to make sure that Delta isn't taking over the ticket or anything because I want it to credit as a VS ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.