Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Hawkeyefan
I have a RST to FLL itnerary coming up 2 weeks. Upgrade on the ATL to FLL leg to FC has dropped in two days from $224 to $179 to $111 today. Any chance it drops further if no one bites at $111? Just seeing how this works.
Ha, the upgrade price went up, just today, from $111 to $179 to $224 again?? Even though only one FC seat sold. ...? This stuffs a hoot....
Old Mar 8, 2018, 9:54 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte

Ha, the upgrade price went up, just today, from $111 to $179 to $224 again?? Even though only one FC seat sold. ...? This stuffs a hoot....

Had that happen not too long ago and I called about what the actual price was. I was offered a lower price on the phone than any of the online prices.
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
I was offered a lower price on the phone than any of the online prices.
Do you know if the lower price was due to repricing the entire ticket?
Old Mar 8, 2018, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Can get a much cheaper meal at the airport before takeoff
That's assuming you have time to get a meal at the airport. Of course an SLC-East Coast flight should have Buy-On-Board options at least in the above case I'm guessing you were referencing.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Another consequence of FCM

... the greater percentage of amateurs in the FC cabin**

As evidenced, in part, by their use of the overheads. On a recent flight, virtually every linear foot of the wide-side bins on a MD series plane was consumed by rollaboards that were not arranged wheels-in/out. Inefficient usage, resulting in some PAX having trouble finding a space for their luggage.

** yes, I concede that not all experienced travelers get this right, either.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
... the greater percentage of amateurs in the FC cabin**

As evidenced, in part, by their use of the overheads. On a recent flight, virtually every linear foot of the wide-side bins on a MD series plane was consumed by rollaboards that were not arranged wheels-in/out. Inefficient usage, resulting in some PAX having trouble finding a space for their luggage.

** yes, I concede that not all experienced travelers get this right, either.
I noticed this on a 75D recently as well as I boarded last and almost all rollaboards were placed flat instead of on their side so that other bags could fit in the bin. One of the pax noticed that I was moving their bag to lay on its side so I could fit mine inside the bin and that pax started to get mad at me for messing with their bag saying that the bin was full. It was awesome seeing their face as I was able to fit my bag in the bin after moving their bag on it's side.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 11:54 am

I understand that on cash tickets buying up to F results in additional MQM. If you buy up via the seat map on a miles ticket what happens?
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
I understand that on cash tickets buying up to F results in additional MQM. If you buy up via the seat map on a miles ticket what happens?
I haven't tried this yet but others have reported that you don't earn any MQM's or MQD's on award ticket buy ups.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 2:59 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Can get a much cheaper meal at the airport before takeoff
Can save even more money by not traveling. Really, I doubt anyone’s buying upgrades for the food.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:10 pm

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
I haven't tried this yet but others have reported that you don't earn any MQM's or MQD's on award ticket buy ups.
Yeah, I'd guess not, but it made me realize that part of the reason I'd pay cash is for the bonus MQM. oh well
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:12 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by strickerj

Can save even more money by not traveling. Really, I doubt anyone’s buying upgrades for the food.
Did you read the post he was replying to? The guy explicitly mentioned the food as a rationale for getting the upgrade.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 3:14 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Hilton HHonors Diamond, IHG Plat
Yeah, I'd guess not, but it made me realize that part of the reason I'd pay cash is for the bonus MQM. oh well
nothing like buying up and not getting a darn thing for it....
Old Mar 9, 2018, 5:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion

nothing like buying up and not getting a darn thing for it....
yeah, that bigger seat, "guaranteed" OHB space, dedicated cabin service, 2-3 free 70# bags, PREM boarding, and SP handling is indeed a whole lotta nada!
CHOPCHOP767 likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I don't know about the MQMs, but I do know that the fee you pay when you upgrade at the seat map or check-in stages is not refundable if you have to cancel the trip.
Old Mar 10, 2018, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I don't know about the MQMs, but I do know that the fee you pay when you upgrade at the seat map or check-in stages is not refundable if you have to cancel the trip.
Yeah, that's a little uncool. Better to really get a GAP fare so you can apply the value to another ticket should you need to change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.