Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First Class Monetization, or FCM: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:24 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by sethb
Delta doesn't have lie-flat seats in F, they're in BE (Business Elite), now called D1 (Delta One). If it's between JFK and LAX or SFO that's the case; SEA maybe, but Delta swaps planes for those with F seats without notice or compensation.
Delta1 (full-flat seats) are only promised between LAX or SFO and JFK. SEA-JFK is regular domestic first-class despite being sold with a "Z" or "I" booking code. Just check the seat charts prior to purchase to verify it's regular old domestic first.

In rare instances LAX/SFO to JFK, a plane configured with a regular old domestic first-class will be substituted for promised full flat's. Delta will not automatically refund or give compensation. Contact Delta to complain, and at a minimum, you will get some miles as compensation (assuming it wasn't a complimentary medallion upgrade).

Last edited by Bowgie; Jul 5, 2015 at 12:35 pm
Old Jul 5, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by FullTimeFlyer
Next flight after this is UA and I've got a regional upgrade on one of those as well...I'll be curious to see if they do better.
I'm betting it won't be better. Delta is notorious for not releasing seats in advance for upgrades on its JFK routes. Frankly, I never understood the desire for window upgrades when there's going to be a bunch of empty first-class seats at the gate anyway. It's still an upgrade; and Delta is less aggressive than United about selling upgrade out from under elites.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by Bowgie
I'm betting it won't be better. Delta is notorious for not releasing seats in advance for upgrades on its JFK routes. Frankly, I never understood the desire for window upgrades when there's going to be a bunch of empty first-class seats at the gate anyway. It's still an upgrade; and Delta is less aggressive than United about selling upgrade out from under elites.
1. Knowing whether one needs to plan for a meal before a flight
2. Knowing GA isn't letting their NSRA pal have your seat.
3. Knowing someone who bought a cheap G fare on the 6am flight with no intention of taking it didn't SDC and take away your UG.
4. Knowing some kettle on a T fare didn't pay $80 at check-in to take the seat while you are on a Q fare.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP,2MM, DL Gold,Starwood PLT
I ended up in FC in the end...not sure quite when because I don't get an e-mail for an upgrade, but some time after the check-in window and after a number of FC seats disappeared. But I nabbed the last non-bulkhead FC seat and so it all ended well.

Next flight after this is UA and I've got a regional upgrade on one of those as well...I'll be curious to see if they do better.

FTF
So in the end you didn't have anything to complain about. You got the upgrade. It's nothing new or specific to DL that they can wait to clear upgrades close to departure. Happens all the time on every carrier. Just goes with the territory if your depending on an upgrade to get seat rather than buying it outright to begin with.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 3:40 pm

Programs: DL exDM MM
Or a new low for me anyway.

Less than 3 hours until checkin. I'm a Plat with a regional upgrade coupon on my reservation (added maybe 10 days ago) for a redeye flight to JFK tomorrow night. There are EIGHT, count'em EIGHT empty FC seats for the flight; 50% of the cabin. (Yes, I checked and that many FC are for sale, not just shown empty.) It's a holiday but before most people are leaving and there's about 10 empty coach seats.

So a few hours before checkin, 50% empty first class seats and they won't release one to a plat with a regional upgrade because they're desperately hoping they can sell that last one for an extra $25 (heck, they've got 8 in inventory) to someone who isn't even sure what airline they are getting on.

Yeah, I'll probably get upgraded in the end, or at least I hope so. It'll be the last one, and I'll get the window bulkhead with no place to put my legs (ie, under a seat) and sleep.

And for any apologist who says I've got no right to even thing negative thoughts about an upgrade - this isn't even free, it's paid with a coupon that took a heck of a lot of paid travel to earn.

MF, I should just go back to United, where at least I don't have to work to keep Plat status since I've got lifetime. FU DL.

Disgustedly,

FTF
I would gladly pay $25 than to burn an RUC... Was that on offer?
Old Jul 5, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold

And for any apologist who says I've got no right to even thing negative thoughts about an upgrade - this isn't even free, it's paid with a coupon that took a heck of a lot of paid travel to earn.

Disgustedly,

FTF
Feel entitled much?

You paid zero for the RUC. DL gave you choice of benefits for flying every once in a while. You paid for seat to fly for a seat from point to point, and nothing more.

If you feel you are owed more, either read the T&C of the program or adjust your sense of entitlement
Old Jul 5, 2015, 4:58 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by longing4piedmont
Feel entitled much?

You paid zero for the RUC. DL gave you choice of benefits for flying every once in a while. You paid for seat to fly for a seat from point to point, and nothing more.

If you feel you are owed more, either read the T&C of the program or adjust your sense of entitlement
I wouldn't call disappointment and frustration that an upgrade instrument didn't work how you expect to be entitlement. But not all of us are so acutely prolific in determining the thoughts of others simply by comments on a forum as you.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 5:15 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
I wouldn't call disappointment and frustration that an upgrade instrument didn't work how you expect to be entitlement. But not all of us are so acutely prolific in determining the thoughts of others simply by comments on a forum as you.
Maybe just better reading comprehension skills than some here. Or perhaps you missed the FU comment?

en·ti·tled
inˈtīdld,enˈtīdld/
adjective
believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.
"his pompous, entitled attitude"

Try reading all of the post quoted. I stand behind my comments.

Last edited by longing4piedmont; Jul 5, 2015 at 5:23 pm
Old Jul 5, 2015, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL DM
Maybe just better reading comprehension skills than some here. Or perhaps you missed the FU comment?

en·ti·tled
inˈtīdld,enˈtīdld/
adjective
believing oneself to be inherently deserving of privileges or special treatment.

^
Old Jul 5, 2015, 5:49 pm

en·ti·tled
inˈtīdld,enˈtīdld/
adjective

I guess that is where we differ in judgment of others never met. That sounds like frustration to me, you take the low road.

Doesn't surprise me bubba likes the same road.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 5:54 pm

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
Wow! This thread has now surpassed 2,500 posts, which was certainly to be expected, given the passions of the crowd who hang out here.

When this whole issue of FCM was coming to the forefront, I remember a quote from Richard a year or two ago: "We want our BEST customers in our BEST seats." My response then is the same as it is now, Richard: "Who are REALLY your best customers?"

Are they the people who rack up far more than 125,000 miles each year sitting on your airplanes? (Perhaps that is actually more miles than you travel on Delta every year, Richard?) Or are they the one-timers who wave $79 at you for an upgrade, and won't fly your airline again for another 12-18 months, if that? How greedy are you, Richard????

I liken the First Class Cabin to a Country Club. I like to think it is, as advertised, for those who have paid their dues. Some of us have done that year after year, with a long history of DM status. When I go to the Country Club, I don't expect to be told that I can't have a tee time or a restaurant reservation because a "visitor or two" have purchased a one-day pass and now there is no more room for me!

If there is some notion of "entitlement" in all of this, it is only because I've been trained by first NW and later by DL to think that way for the past 25+ years as a top tier Elite.

PS: My domestic upgrade rate is still around 75%, but that is with careful planning of flight dates and times. Just 2 years ago, it was well over 95% And my international upgrade rate is pretty decent also, between SWU's and OP-UP's on overbooked flights. But if I can't foresee an international upgrade, I have been been know to pay for D1 as long as the price is "reasonable". And I don't consider $7,000 RT reasonable!!!
Old Jul 5, 2015, 5:55 pm

It's not the low road. It is a practical interpretation of the words posted. The delusion on this board of services desired for which most are unwilling to pay is frightening (considering many on here are "business" travelers.) Poster got the upgrade, just not on their schedule, so they are leaving for UA? That is entitlement pure and simple. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck......

If an upgrade were THAT important, poster should have simply paid for the cabin that was so desired.

Last edited by bubbashow; Jul 5, 2015 at 6:00 pm
Old Jul 5, 2015, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by mrcimino1
If there is some notion of "entitlement" in all of this, it is only because I've been trained by first NW and later by DL to think that way for the past 25+ years as a top tier Elite.
The entire landscape has changed in the last 2 years. Get used to it. It is the new reality. if you can't comprehend that, I would not participate in the private sector in any way whatsoever if I were you.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by bubbashow
It's not the low road. It is a practical interpretation of the words posted. The delusion on this board of services desired for which most are unwilling to pay is frightening (considering many on here are "business" travelers.) Poster got the upgrade, just not on their schedule, so they are leaving for UA? That is entitlement pure and simple. If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck......

If an upgrade were THAT important, poster should have simply paid for the cabin that was so desired.
+1
I'm new to posting here but have been reading the forum for some time before joining and it's simply amazing how so many "business" travelers want DL to return to a type of program they were running at a time when they were losing millions of dollars a year and steer away from the type of program they're running while making millions in profit.
Old Jul 5, 2015, 6:31 pm

Programs: Former NW PE, now DL DM
Originally Posted by bubbashow
The entire landscape has changed in the last 2 years. Get used to it. It is the new reality. if you can't comprehend that, I would not participate in the private sector in any way whatsoever if I were you.
Yes, the landscape has changed and I AM getting used to it, but that doesn't mean that I or anyone else has to LIKE it. The real question is whether the DOJ was sold a Bill of Goods that less competition would truly be a good thing for the airline industry. Maybe it is, but not a good thing for me or you or any other truly FREQUENT flyer! Realities may change, but ingrained expectations don't change that quickly or easily. Your comments on these issues?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.