Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Lowest Delta Fare Class does not earn MQMs? Yes It Does, Says Delta Air Lines

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Lowest Delta Fare Class does not earn MQMs? Yes It Does, Says Delta Air Lines

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2011, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA-Plat./ UA-Plat.
Originally Posted by TTT
I would disagree. The flyer on the 2 paid BE tickets a year is much more profitable than the LUT flyer as many LUT fares don't or just break even when looking at the RASM vs CASM. The 2 paid BE tickets earn Delta a nice profit all of the time.

Perhaps, but I think the point is, if all the LUT passengers, or a good number of them, went to other carriers, DL would not thrive w/o them.
Old May 16, 2011, 2:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA, AsiaMiles, SPG, HHonors
Originally Posted by james318
I'm just waiting for the bomb to drop that E fares domestically are not eligible for upgrades...

I really hope not, but I can see that as well.
I'd bet money on it.
Old May 16, 2011, 2:41 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by SeaClay007
I'm a DM/MM and a regular road warrior who works for a living and I think this is a really bad idea.

I used to have to justify K fares when sLUT were 50% MQM (thanks Leo). Now, it looks like I'm going to have to justify T+ when E are available. There is no way I am traveling away from my family on business 80%+ of the time without the rewards inherent in a frequent flier program. I'll find another airline or stop traveling first.
aye, wasn't singling out your whole group; just those who had already complained
Old May 16, 2011, 2:44 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Originally Posted by dean1121
If you are ATL based you are stuck with a diluted program and can't get a seat in a Skyclub.
I have always thought the packed Skyclubs are more about not being big enough to accomodate a hub the size of ATL. Some clubs are pretty small.

Originally Posted by TTT
I would disagree. The flyer on the 2 paid BE tickets a year is much more profitable than the LUT flyer as many LUT fares don't or just break even when looking at the RASM vs CASM. The 2 paid BE tickets earn Delta a nice profit all of the time.
Fine. But you will never fill up an airplane that way. That means reduced flights per day, less choice and service to about every destination. The truth is they are both needed to make the whole airline work.

If I just catered to my customers who pay top dollar, I would go out of business. I need the discount customer to maintain a certain level of service, output, staffing level. I treat the consistant discount customer with the same care as a high spending customer. Both help me turn a profit.
Old May 16, 2011, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by GBadger
I think you're blending together several issues here that are not necessarily the same...

Do you believe that government employees are not earning DL money? This has nothing to do with MQM inflation -- I agree that rollover has caused inflated medallion ranks (though I believe much of that is at lower levels)and that SkyClubs are overcrowded, but that's due to DL's program benefits, not due to all flights earning miles/MQMs.

The problem with your assessment is that DL wouldn't just be thinning it's medallion ranks, but also its customer base in general. If DL no longer offers MQMs/RDMs on its lowest fare classes, don't think that those who need to book the lowest fares will just keep flying DL.
DL also needs the much larger market of (s)LUT fare buyers in order to build up its flock of SkyMiles sheep.
Old May 16, 2011, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL PM UA PSilver Marriott Lifetime Plat, AMEX Platinum, Avis PC, UA MPPPlus
I've got tickets already bought that will earn me the 50k I need to keep Gold for next year. Until there's some sort of official word from Delta on this, I'll be using different carriers for new business.

As a corporate traveller who also depends on personal travel out of my pocket to make my status each year, this is a big deal to me.

The silence from Delta bothers me.

p.s. and my ASA flight is 2 hours delayed due to maint
Old May 16, 2011, 3:02 pm
EZE

Programs: All of em more or less
Originally Posted by TTT
I am not excited about the prospects of E but this is hardly a new way for airlines to operate. Many carriers don't offer mileage earning on their lowest fares (NZ, EK, AF etc).

This is just another step in the a la carte pricing models airlines are moving towards. They are now putting a price on mileage and mileage earnings. What would be nice is if Delta offered a way to "buy up" to the mileage earning class without the change fee. That way corporate folks booking the E could still get miles by paying out of pocket for the difference without the change fee.
Great point. To me, this will decide if this is another .5lut or more or less a non-event. I would say that with .5lut being fairly recent that DL would not be doubling down but you never know. The disaster scenario is no upgrades and no-buy-up option reasonably priced. That would be suicide unless DL was confident that others would quickly follow suit.
Old May 16, 2011, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by edweird

p.s. and my ASA flight is 2 hours delayed due to maint
This is SOP for ASA. I think my lifetime on-time success with ASA is 13%.

And now back to your regularly scheduled thread on driving away loyal customers.
Old May 16, 2011, 3:08 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I'm just waiting for the bomb to drop that E fares domestically are not eligible for upgrades...

I was going to mention that but didn't want to stir the pot. I wouldn't be surprised if E fares didn't have any Medallion perks.

Originally Posted by AAsuper80
Perhaps, but I think the point is, if all the LUT passengers, or a good number of them, went to other carriers, DL would not thrive w/o them.
Originally Posted by tvnwz
Fine. But you will never fill up an airplane that way. That means reduced flights per day, less choice and service to about every destination. The truth is they are both needed to make the whole airline work.

If I just catered to my customers who pay top dollar, I would go out of business. I need the discount customer to maintain a certain level of service, output, staffing level. I treat the consistant discount customer with the same care as a high spending customer. Both help me turn a profit.
Fair points. There needs to be a balance of full fare and discount flyers to keep the planes in the air. And I agree, both customers should be treated to the same levels of service. But how should client loyalty be defined? Is it volume, revenue, profitability or a combination of all of the above? Airlines have mostly defined loyalty on volume. With Southwest's shift to a revenue based loyalty program I think it is only a matter of time before the legacies follow - any maybe the E fare is Delta's first attempt to do so.
Old May 16, 2011, 3:55 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 2MM, AA EXP

We can only hope and dream.
Old May 16, 2011, 4:06 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by dean1121
We can only hope and dream.
It's always nice when elite benefits are taken away...

And for those of us who don't get out of our respective precious metal encrusted bubbles, we could be talking about what the United/Continental folks are...

Heard new rumor yesterdasy sfo re udu

Personally, I hope this is just delta.com stupidity, and not delta stupidity.
Old May 16, 2011, 4:18 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
When will DL ever learn. DL has to know that if it online, we will find it. Heck, we have even found stuff we weren't supposed to find. As always, it would have been so simple to make an announcement about E fares. Yes, DL can do what it wants, but what is so difficult about meaningful communication. I hope that if Jeff or whoever did this is bad, that after their time is up on earth, their sentence is to read FlyerTalk 24 hours a day for a thousand years. Amazing.
Old May 16, 2011, 4:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by GBadger
You guys do realize that there are a lot of people who would, should E fares become a regular occurrence, be forced to book them or fly another carrier, right? Are you saying that DL should just kiss all of those flyers (namely government and university employees) goodbye?!
There's a pretty good chance that they won't go anywhere because they cannot go anywhere. When you have a relatively captive audience there isn't much motivation to cater to them. If you've got a corporate contract with DL then that's who you fly. The idea that the employer should be subsidizing your personal travel habits is a laughable one to me. If they give you the flexibility then great. If you take it as an entitlement or abuse it then shame on you.

I'm offering 3:1 odds that E will earn just like LUT and that it will be announced when the fares are aligned in a couple weeks. Send me a PM if you've got a serious offer.
Old May 16, 2011, 4:53 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by sbm12
There's a pretty good chance that they won't go anywhere because they cannot go anywhere. When you have a relatively captive audience there isn't much motivation to cater to them. If you've got a corporate contract with DL then that's who you fly. The idea that the employer should be subsidizing your personal travel habits is a laughable one to me. If they give you the flexibility then great. If you take it as an entitlement or abuse it then shame on you.

I'm offering 3:1 odds that E will earn just like LUT and that it will be announced when the fares are aligned in a couple weeks. Send me a PM if you've got a serious offer.
You may or may not be right about E earning like LUT, but your other comments are sound, whether others like them or agree.
Old May 16, 2011, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL GM
I hate to ruin a good conspiracy theory, but Occam's razor would suggest that this is simply an IT glitch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.