Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kettle Invasion

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2011, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
I fly to LA a lot for both business and fun.

If it's fun, I usually use a Southwest RR1.0 ticket and for business, it's always going to be on Delta. As soon a the WN tickets run out, it will be delta.

Something I have noticed is that when I fly WN to LAX, there are always a lot of Kettles on the plane going to Disney. I don't see that many Kettles going to Disney on DL, so the Kettles apparently prefer WN for Disney in CA. It's weird they prefer DL for MCO (and I am sure the WN flights are loaded with Kettles going there as well), but tend to prefer WN for CA.
Old May 10, 2011, 9:17 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BonzoESC
The Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World's been around for almost 40 years (turns 40 in October), and Kettles haven't been "priced out" yet. There's no shortage of capacity at MCO, and there's several low-cost airlines with big presences at MCO that are more than willing to take up the slack if Delta doesn't serve the market well.
We will see what happens when oil is $200+.
Old May 10, 2011, 9:31 am

Programs: DL/KM Platinum, STE+, Hertz Prezzie
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
We will see what happens when oil is $200+.
I believe the supposedly rumored tipping point for WDW is $160/barrel. This is not substantiated and has snopes.com written all over it.
Old May 10, 2011, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I fly to LA a lot for both business and fun.

If it's fun, I usually use a Southwest RR1.0 ticket and for business, it's always going to be on Delta. As soon a the WN tickets run out, it will be delta.

Something I have noticed is that when I fly WN to LAX, there are always a lot of Kettles on the plane going to Disney. I don't see that many Kettles going to Disney on DL, so the Kettles apparently prefer WN for Disney in CA. It's weird they prefer DL for MCO (and I am sure the WN flights are loaded with Kettles going there as well), but tend to prefer WN for CA.
Hm... does this reflect most likely hubs to LAX vs those for MCO?
Old May 10, 2011, 9:49 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by BonzoESC
There's no shortage of capacity at MCO, and there's several low-cost airlines with big presences at MCO that are more than willing to take up the slack if Delta doesn't serve the market well.
I was based in MCO in a previous life (1998-2004) and still travel there relatively often on personal business. The DL/DL Connection footprint there is definitely smaller than it used to be. Even the SkyClub is smaller.

One might argue this is a reflection of DLs desire/ability to serve this market "well."
Old May 10, 2011, 10:30 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by bcapehart
I believe the supposedly rumored tipping point for WDW is $160/barrel. This is not substantiated and has snopes.com written all over it.
Ticket price increases are hefty as well: http://allears.net/tix/tixincrease.htm
Old May 10, 2011, 10:49 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bcapehart
Can you elaborate on this? Not immediately seeing the (direct) link between oil and the mouse house...
Old May 10, 2011, 11:38 am

Programs: Hub Captive Club
Originally Posted by AUDirt
Can you elaborate on this? Not immediately seeing the (direct) link between oil and the mouse house...
I would imagine that is the theoretical point at which the price of oil (and subsequently gasoline) grows high enough to price-out the average family from being able to afford to/or willing to expend what little disposable income they have left to travel to Disney instead of more affordable options closer to their home locale. At $160 a barrel a family of four's daily living expenses are going to be pushing the limits of what they can afford when you consider how much groceries, gas, etc. are going to to increase over time.
Hell, the median household income is under $50k in the US these days...a few grand for a vacation to Disney puts a dent in that pretty quick...

All of this adds up in the Mouse House not having enough customers to support itself the way I look at it as I'm sure Disney's costs will also directly increase resulting in even higher ticket prices to keep the doors open in their mega resorts. Despite common belief, those monorails don't run on love (yet), lol.
Old May 10, 2011, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by spin2nd
I would imagine that is the theoretical point at which the price of oil (and subsequently gasoline) grows high enough to price-out the average family from being able to afford to/or willing to expend what little disposable income they have left to travel to Disney instead of more affordable options closer to their home locale. At $160 a barrel a family of four's daily living expenses are going to be pushing the limits of what they can afford when you consider how much groceries, gas, etc. are going to to increase over time.
Hell, the median household income is under $50k in the US these days...a few grand for a vacation to Disney puts a dent in that pretty quick...

All of this adds up in the Mouse House not having enough customers to support itself the way I look at it as I'm sure Disney's costs will also directly increase resulting in even higher ticket prices to keep the doors open in their mega resorts. Despite common belief, those monorails don't run on love (yet), lol.
This is what I had surmised -- I had never heard any formal discussion of it before, though.

Don't discount the imagineers just yet, though. Disney World is its own legal city, meaning that they have considerable control over what they do and do not put on their property. It would not shock me (at all) to find out that they have at least kicked around the possibility of nuclear power at some point.

(Note: I have no idea what kind of state and federal oversight is involved in constructing a nuclear reactor. But I'm willing to bet that Disney does )
Old May 10, 2011, 12:17 pm
Suspended

Don't discount the imagineers just yet, though. Disney World is its own legal city, meaning that they have considerable control over what they do and do not put on their property. It would not shock me (at all) to find out that they have at least kicked around the possibility of nuclear power at some point.[/i]
Why not put in a solar array? Plenty of sun year-round in Florida.
Old May 10, 2011, 12:24 pm

Programs: DL Silver, AA Gold
Back in the day one of the rides at EPCOT was partially solar-powered.
Old May 10, 2011, 12:34 pm

My understanding is that the energy output of solar comes nowhere close to the energy output of nuclear.

Also, while there's a lot of sun in Florida, there's also a lot of rain and clouds. It's not like AZ or NV where there is truly year-round sun.
Old May 10, 2011, 1:00 pm

I doubt they were as bad as the 'adult' rejects I had to sit across from in Feb on DL ATL-MIA. How this guy and two 'girls' made it on board as hammered as they sounded and acted is amazing . Kicking the lady in front of thiers seat,loudly swearing ...very annoying. Supposedly going on a cruise. If I got stuck on that ship,he might be missing come the next port of call. Thankfully it's only an hour or so flight (and a 757,which is my fave narrow-body)^
Old May 10, 2011, 8:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
My understanding is that the energy output of solar comes nowhere close to the energy output of nuclear.

Also, while there's a lot of sun in Florida, there's also a lot of rain and clouds. It's not like AZ or NV where there is truly year-round sun.
Some of the stuff coming down the pike may make solar more of a realistic option... not to run a city, but the technology is getting better... ask the folks in TN about the little plant that is being built there....
Old May 10, 2011, 11:38 pm

Originally Posted by United_727
I doubt they were as bad as the 'adult' rejects I had to sit across from in Feb on DL ATL-MIA. How this guy and two 'girls' made it on board as hammered as they sounded and acted is amazing . Kicking the lady in front of thiers seat,loudly swearing ...very annoying. Supposedly going on a cruise. If I got stuck on that ship,he might be missing come the next port of call. Thankfully it's only an hour or so flight (and a 757,which is my fave narrow-body)^
We had sloppy drunk 'girls' one one flight (or should I say taxi) that almost got the plane grounded. I prefer under-parented toddlers.

As the others said, it's in getting the guest to Orlando and the parks by plane or car. This is pretty much a Disney Legend like Walt being frozen and how closing the Adventurer's Club @ Pleasure Island was a good idea. The difference being that this one makes some kind of sense, at least unlike the other two.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.