Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Asking for Opinion...Will the Fare drop?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Asking for Opinion...Will the Fare drop?

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2011, 2:34 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
I'm going to disagree with some and recommend waiting. If you use a Thursday departure and a Sunday return (17 days later) you can get U fares both ways in late June for a little over $400. you can get U/L in mid-July for right at $600.

IMO, barring a holiday/special event, L fares this far out aren't worth biting at.
Old May 3, 2011, 3:56 pm

Programs: Free Agent Level 2; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA GECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by Playsmart
I am looking to fly with the family JFK-SEA from 8/11 -8/28. Right now (without layovers as I am with kids) the price is $627.40.
One thing to keep in mind is that if the price drops significantly (more than $150, which I'd say is moderately unlikely), you can rebook and get a travel credit for the difference (less the $150 change fee).

The AS flight ex-EWR is pretty decent, Y service mostly interchangeable with DL except for lack of AVOD. Earn MQM and (I think) waive baggage fees, though no upgrades for FO.
Old May 3, 2011, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still PAL Premier Elite & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bennos
One thing to keep in mind is that if the price drops significantly (more than $150, which I'd say is moderately unlikely), you can rebook and get a travel credit for the difference (less the $150 change fee).

The AS flight ex-EWR is pretty decent, Y service mostly interchangeable with DL except for lack of AVOD. Earn MQM and (I think) waive baggage fees, though no upgrades for FO.
With Southwest if the fare drops by $200, you can get a voucher for the full $200. Multiplied x 3 is not chump change. Bags are free, two (2x50# per person).

But it sounds like WN is already undercutting by $200.
Old May 4, 2011, 5:03 am

Programs: Free Agent Level 2; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA GECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
With Southwest if the fare drops by $200, you can get a voucher for the full $200. Multiplied x 3 is not chump change. Bags are free, two (2x50# per person).

Sure, but as OP is traveling with kids and WN has no nonstops NYC-SEA this may not be relevant.
Old May 5, 2011, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX

What does WN have to do with this discussion? And frankly, 5+ hours on a greyhound with wings would be TORTURE! Please... they are cheaper because they are a worse airline with a cheaper product. (i.e. they provide NOTHING in terms of in-flight entertainment, first class, etc.)

Plus, you'd have to connect. Traveling with children? I think not.
Old May 5, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX

Plus, Southwest right now is offering the LGA-SEA (with a stop both ways) for $556.

Delta, NON-STOP, is offering JFK-SEA for $627.

Um, $70 more dollars to fly non-stop and go on a real airline? Sign me up!
Old May 5, 2011, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Plus, Southwest right now is offering the LGA-SEA (with a stop both ways) for $556.

EWR-SEA is $199 each way. The OP already said she will be in Y so no FC is not a problem but the connection would be.
Old May 5, 2011, 1:38 pm

Programs: AA EXP
What does WN have to do with this discussion?
Actually, nothing, but MikeMpls REALLY likes Southwest.
Old May 5, 2011, 1:47 pm

Don't know what you have against Southwest, but a "real airline"? Granted it has been a few years since I have flown with them, but their CS people were great, the planes were comfortable, and the snack packs were without equal. So, cmon...
Old Jun 16, 2011, 7:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
So I waited and waited and the price finally went down to $553 after tax. I saved myself close to $300 by waiting.

Bing Travel was completely useless as it kept saying fares rising and I am glad Delta finally came to their senses considering the flight only had about 40 seats sold.

Thanks to the people who said to wait.
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD
Wow, Got screwed heavily. These tickets just went down to $484 r/t/
Old Jun 29, 2011, 2:59 pm

Programs: Super-duper Triple Gold Platinum President's Circle - er, Delta American Express
Well, Farecast says it's a good time to buy...
Old Jun 29, 2011, 4:39 pm

Programs: SPG Plat, Emerald Exec., PC Plat, AA, CO, DL, UBS Charter Card, Palladium Card, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Playsmart
Wow, Got screwed heavily. These tickets just went down to $484 r/t/
Call DL and ask kindly. While DL does not offer credits for fare drops like a few other airlines do, it has been my experience that if you call medallion desk, ask for a supervisor and ask nicely they will/can give you a voucher for ~ the difference at their discretion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.