Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Asking for Opinion...Will the Fare drop?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2011, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DELTA Skymiles:GOLD

I am looking to fly with the family JFK-SEA from 8/11 -8/28. Right now (without layovers as I am with kids) the price is $627.40.

Do I grab them now or do we all think they will go down (to something somewhat reasonable?)

Thanks
Old May 3, 2011, 12:46 pm
Suspended

There's a small chance the price could come down if DL can't fill the plane. But, you should realize this is priced right at about break even at the current price of oil.
Old May 3, 2011, 12:51 pm

Originally Posted by sxf24
There's a small chance the price could come down if DL can't fill the plane. But, you should realize this is priced right at about break even at the current price of oil.
Completely agree. There's even a chance the price could go up.
Old May 3, 2011, 12:54 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by Playsmart
I am looking to fly with the family JFK-SEA from 8/11 -8/28. Right now (without layovers as I am with kids) the price is $627.40.

Do I grab them now or do we all think they will go down (to something somewhat reasonable?)

Thanks
How does this price compare for 6/11-28 and 7/11-28?

Bob H
Old May 3, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
I'm watching fares constantly and the odds are the prices will go up not down as you get closer to August. If you can live with the current price nonstop, I'd purchase now.

Besides, I often see prices go up and add multiple stops with unbelievably long layovers or next day arrival.
Old May 3, 2011, 1:03 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your quick responses. I guess I just have to bite the bullet. Just hard to stomach paying this much when last August I paid $410 a ticket. I know oil went up but not $200 worth???!!!???
Old May 3, 2011, 1:07 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA Gold/1MM, AS MVP 100K, BA Gold, TK Elite
I use the farecaster on Bing.com. It has worked well for me in the past. It gives a good idea of the volatility of the price.
Old May 3, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: WN peon (was A+), IHG Plat Hilton HHonors Gold DL SkyPesos PM (still a peon) US Chmn, Hawaiian Haole
SWA ??

I apologize for posting this response in the DL forum and which is also outside of your criteria (i.e. makes you fly from either from EWR or LGA, not JFK) and which requires a change of planes in MDW, but it might be worth it to you to save some shekels, or as a backup plan.

Southwest fares as of today LGA or EWR to SEA in August $199 (EWR) - $288 (LGA) one way. Book and if the fare goes down, cancel & rebook at the lower fare no penalty, or cancel SW if your DL fare drops. No money back for canceling cheapest Southwest fares but can use the $$ for future SW travel.

As a former 15-year Seattle resident, you've picked the one month when you've got a good chance of great weather!

Best of luck with your trip.
Old May 3, 2011, 1:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL DM
ITA matrix shows $588 on AS from EWR on 8-11 with a return to LGA on 8-27. Miles can be credited to DL.
Old May 3, 2011, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by johnslloyd
I apologize for posting this response in the DL forum and which is also outside of your criteria (i.e. makes you fly from either from EWR or LGA, not JFK) and which requires a change of planes in MDW, but it might be worth it to you to save some shekels, or as a backup plan.

Southwest fares as of today LGA or EWR to SEA in August $199 (EWR) - $288 (LGA) one way. Book and if the fare goes down, cancel & rebook at the lower fare no penalty, or cancel SW if your DL fare drops. No money back for canceling cheapest Southwest fares but can use the $$ for future SW travel.

As a former 15-year Seattle resident, you've picked the one month when you've got a good chance of great weather!

Best of luck with your trip.
I was going to say the same thing. At what point does your loyalty go out the window for price? Right now the same flights on SW are just under $400.

3 x $200 = a lot of extra cake for the loyalty. I am guessing you will all be in Y anyway.
Old May 3, 2011, 1:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by avidflyer
I was going to say the same thing. At what point does your loyalty go out the window for price? Right now the same flights on SW are just under $400.

3 x $200 = a lot of extra cake for the loyalty. I am guessing you will all be in Y anyway.
The problem with Southwest is one (or more stops). I think the OP is traveling with children and is looking for a non-stop.

It looks like EWR is the best option, if that's not to inconvenient.
Old May 3, 2011, 1:23 pm
Original Poster

So it is a good question as to how far does loyalty go. B6 has the same flight times for $60 less. For all four of us to save $240 is tempting but I would prefer the MQM.....anything higher though and It may be time to say Screw you DL.

In regards to the other flight options, as stated before, connections are not an option and EWR is a good 75 minute trip and one hell of a cab ride so the savings would go right out the door.

The truth is, KEF is more than $100 cheaper and slightly farther....Go figure,
Old May 3, 2011, 2:23 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
I have been looking for nonstop flights on the same route for late July and have found $627/637 the lowest it has gone. I agree this is the highest I have seen it for awhile, but on the dates on which I've looked, all the other nonstops are at the same price.
Old May 3, 2011, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Originally Posted by Playsmart

Thanks
Go to http://www.bing.com/travel/.... great "price predictor".
Old May 3, 2011, 2:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Go to http://www.bing.com/travel/.... great "price predictor".

Tried that on my last trip out there back in March and the price actually dropped 40 bucks!!!! Though they are probably right most the time I got screwed.

once again thanks for all the responses so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.