Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Please Explain - Why Does OW Skymile Award Price Out Higher Than RT?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Please Explain - Why Does OW Skymile Award Price Out Higher Than RT?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2011, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Sorry, avidflyer, but IMHO bigflyer was right to dismiss that explanation.

In one-way pricing, my observations are that with a:

- low outbound the default is low return, yielding the 60K pricing expected by the OP here;

- medium outbound will be defaulted to medium return;

- high outbound will be defaulted to high return.

Hence the imperative when one wants a true one-way ticket and is stuck with medium or high outbound, find a low return that fits the ticketing time parameters.

As for a suitable explanation of the OP's observation - regrets.
Yea I should have put a question mark at the end of that. I never tried to price a OW award but figured that the infamous calendar would likely hose you for the highest return just because they do not offer OW awards. Given how Med/High slanted that thing is it just seemed very plausible that they would rarely let you get away with a "LOW" when you are booking something they have said they do not support.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 6:06 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by dnkywhisperer
this is how i look for award tickets by searching one way, finding each leg at the price I want, than piece it all together.
However, often when you piece it together, the total will be inexplicably more.

E.g. simple US48/CA return. All segments at low, but pieced together it's 56,000 (how does it ever get to that number??).

Do it again off different computer/IP/browser, and it's 37,500.

Call and agent just says "that is what the computer spits out" (paraphrased) and won't fix it or explain how a simple RT with all segments in low be 37,500.

But, asking to be transferred to "manual reissue" the agent (grudingly) fixes it and the saved itineary online can be redeemed for the proper 25,000 (online) after all. (Big thanks to her... but, one should not have to call for almost every award booking just to fix the bogous DeltaMatic pricing given.)

It really seems that this consistent overpricing is there on purpose - to scam customers out of more SlyMiles than really due and to go directy against the SlyMiles program and award travel fare rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.