Wiki Posts
Search

Lost exit row seats DEN-ATL

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:11 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL GM
Lost exit row seats DEN-ATL

On Sunday, I (GM) and my wife (FO) took a late afternoon DEN-ATL flight. The flight was delayed by almost an hour in leaving for no apparent reason. We had selected exit row seats about a month in advance, and we knew we wouldn't get an upgrade (with her being FO and DEN-ATL being a heavy medallion flight, even on Sundays). When we checked in we still had our exit row seats.

About 5 minutes before boarding, an announcement went out for our names. We go to the desk, and are promptly given boarding passes for seats in the second to last row of the plane . I look at the gate agent and hand them back asking why we are being moved. She looks at the tickets and says to the agent beside her, "oh they lost their exit row". The other agent shrugs and says "I don't know. She printed these out." (referring to an agent who was not there). The agent looks at me apologetically and offers me some drink coupons. I take them (what else am I going to do?), but it's not much compensation for losing a significant amount of leg room and sticking us in the back of the plane (requiring us to wait a long time both to be able to use those drinks and for everyone to deplane before we can get exit).

I wonder who got our seats , and what happened? I'm not very happy about this. Should I have argued more?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:19 am

Programs: DL PM, USLess air & HHoners
Originally Posted by tj-traveler
On Sunday, I (GM) and my wife (FO) took a late afternoon DEN-ATL flight. The flight was delayed by almost an hour in leaving for no apparent reason. We had selected exit row seats about a month in advance, and we knew we wouldn't get an upgrade (with her being FO and DEN-ATL being a heavy medallion flight, even on Sundays). When we checked in we still had our exit row seats.

About 5 minutes before boarding, an announcement went out for our names. We go to the desk, and are promptly given boarding passes for seats in the second to last row of the plane . I look at the gate agent and hand them back asking why we are being moved. She looks at the tickets and says to the agent beside her, "oh they lost their exit row". The other agent shrugs and says "I don't know. She printed these out." (referring to an agent who was not there). The agent looks at me apologetically and offers me some drink coupons. I take them (what else am I going to do?), but it's not much compensation for losing a significant amount of leg room and sticking us in the back of the plane (requiring us to wait a long time both to be able to use those drinks and for everyone to deplane before we can get exit).

I wonder who got our seats , and what happened? I'm not very happy about this. Should I have argued more?
At this point, I'd probably be sending a complaint via Delta.com and asking for an explanation quite loudly...
Old Mar 15, 2011, 8:23 am

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by localady
At this point, I'd probably be sending a complaint via Delta.com and asking for an explanation quite loudly...
+1
Old Mar 15, 2011, 9:05 am

Programs: DL-Kryptonium (DM+); HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold
May I add...

Originally Posted by localady
Before others chime in to tell you, Delta does not guarantee seat assignments and they state this on Delta.com. Not that I agree with what happened to you, just pointing out what you'll likely be reminded about from other posters.

Having said that, I'd send them a note of complaint as well....

Ask for an explanation calmly, succinctly, and without emotion or threats. Keep to the facts and what information you want from Delta (or what you want them to do, e.g. compensation).

FWIW, I've used such phrases as "disappointed because...", "XYZ...didn't meet the Delta's level of professional standards ", or "what I expected based on Delta's communication to me as late as... " (vis-a-vis boarding pass or confirmed seats).

Don't worry; you'll still get the same auto-fill-in-the-blank response (which you'll likely want to respond to).

This way, once a human actually reads it, your original email will most likely be seen as incredibly reasonable (particularly when compared to the others they get every day). As the saying goes, "...more flies with honey..."

PS: Since there are two of you, remember to include your wife's SM number and her name as it appeared on her ticket. This way one email = compensating you both (hopefully).
Old Mar 15, 2011, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Crackerpup
Don't worry; you'll still get the same auto-fill-in-the-blank response (which you'll likely want to respond to).
And be sure to post it here, because we will all be shocked if the responder doesn't describe how shocked you must have been and declare how disheartened he/she was to read your email.

Originally Posted by Crackerpup
This way, once a human actually reads it, your original email will most likely be seen as incredibly reasonable (particularly when compared to the others they get every day). As the saying goes, "...more flies with honey..."
I was really impressed by a well-written response I got one time from a DL agent. She complimented me on how well-written my email was, so they definitely do take notice of things that are properly composed and don't yell at them, make statements about how DL ruined the rest of your life, etc.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I wouldn't have accepted being moved without a reasonable explanation. If I take the trouble to book early enough to snag an exit row seat, it shouldn't be taken away from me willy-nilly. Especially last-minute -- one wonders about shady dealings if it happens that late. I think I would have said, "Sorry, no." to them and forced them to give me a reason.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:50 am

Programs: DL Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz Gold
I was bumped from my exit rows a few months back no explanation given, I wasn't in the mood to argue. Wrote a friendly email and receieved 9500 miles.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 10:55 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by PDX1130
I was bumped from my exit rows a few months back no explanation given, I wasn't in the mood to argue. Wrote a friendly email and receieved 9500 miles.
I was recently moved on an international flight. I had my boarding pass printed with my original seat and had to check in with my passport before my flight and had another seat assigned.
Check-in agent said to ask at gate, so I asked at SkyClub. She couldn't tell.
Asked at gate and gate agent didn't know.
I asked, very nicely, but firmly, for my seat back, and got it.
No explanation given why it was changed and no issues after boarding.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by mtkeller
And be sure to post it here, because we will all be shocked if the responder doesn't describe how shocked you must have been and declare how disheartened he/she was to read your email.
I think the responder deserves its own name, but I cannot decide between Dliza or Deltaliza. What do others think?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:10 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Delta Kryptonium Medallion, National Executive
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
I think the responder deserves its own name, but I cannot decide between Dliza or Deltaliza. What do others think?
How about Dlusional?
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
Just to be sure: Was there a last minute equipment swap? It would have said EQP 01 somewhere on your BP if that was the case and could explain the seat shuffle - particularly for a 757 where DL has so many configurations.

If no EQP issues, I would have taken a peek to see if your exit row seats were actually occupied and to see if there were any obvious non-rev (by obvious, I mean wearing ID badges or such) pax occupying the seat. Too late for that now, of course.

Do send that letter to DL!
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:39 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Avis First
Had a equipment swap and lost my Exit row several weeks ago. Submitted complaint online, 7500 miles. I would recommend both of you filing separately.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
The exit row seats being taken away like that can only mean one things: shenanigans!

Nice touch with the drink certs tho. DEN-ATL is not that long of a flight; I think given a choice I might actually take the drink certs.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 1:54 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by florin
DEN-ATL is not that long of a flight; I think given a choice I might actually take the drink certs.
I guess length of flight is relative. Almost 3 hours gate to gate plus 1/2 hour in the plane before taxi seems long enough to me to have the exit row I booked weeks/months ago.
Old Mar 15, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: Delta, Hilton
I wrote USAir the other day because one of my clients was re-booked because he missed a connection (MTC) and he go the wonderful 22B seat on a 319. I scored a $125 certificate for him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.