Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

“Shena”: The Definitive “Shenanigans” Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Dovster
One time only was I given a SRC at check in and when I asked about the possibility of an upgrade I was told that I would not even be put on the list until I was given a Y seat.
The GA was wrong - at least according to the CoC. Being on the seat request list confirms that you have a seat in the class of service purchased (p21) and should you be IDB'd you would get IDB compensation.

Its in the CoC that way.

If you are checked in - having a seat assigned or not does not matter. What happens is when you stand by (a true designation of stand by) for a seat that may or may NOT become available, you are NOT confirmed and as such in the event you are not accomodated on that flight, you do NOT get IDB compensation. You also wouldn't get a SRC.

SDC is a different story - in that Delta does NOT do SDC unless they can confirm you into the class of service purchased. In the case of an MX or WX rebook, rebooking goes into the next available flight where a confirmed seat is available. If you want to stand by for an earlier flight, go for it, but you do give up your spot in the upgrade pecking order. Accepting the rebook, as this passenger did, puts them square into the confirmed bucket.

GAs making stuff up on the spot...gotta love it.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:18 pm

Originally Posted by Bicostal
The GA was wrong - at least according to the CoC. Being on the seat request list confirms that you have a seat in the class of service purchased (p21) and should you be IDB'd you would get IDB compensation.

Its in the CoC that way.

If you are checked in - having a seat assigned or not does not matter. What happens is when you stand by (a true designation of stand by) for a seat that may or may NOT become available, you are NOT confirmed and as such in the event you are not accomodated on that flight, you do NOT get IDB compensation. You also wouldn't get a SRC.

SDC is a different story - in that Delta does NOT do SDC unless they can confirm you into the class of service purchased. In the case of an MX or WX rebook, rebooking goes into the next available flight where a confirmed seat is available. If you want to stand by for an earlier flight, go for it, but you do give up your spot in the upgrade pecking order. Accepting the rebook, as this passenger did, puts them square into the confirmed bucket.

GAs making stuff up on the spot...gotta love it.

You are incorrect....software doesn't work that way. Gate agent is correct in that it CAN'T be done. You may be correct that it is in the C.O.C, but DL matic cannot do it. Seat request cards are assigned an HK standby code, and not an UP* code at the time it is generated.

The agent must clear the HK status and assign a seat before a passenger is given an up code depending on status (this is done automatically, not manually by the system). Unfortunately, usually both lists are cleared in the same time period (oftentimes with the UP codes being cleared first to allow seats for the HK in Y to be seated.)

You should probably have knowledge of what you are speaking before you bash gate agents./
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:18 pm

Programs: DL - DM, Charter KM; Marriott Ambassador
Agreed. I have been upgraded when I was confirmed onto a flight but no seats available and had a SRC.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by btlcrkm28
You are incorrect....software doesn't work that way.
I really don't give a hoot if Delta.dum cant do it, the CoC says that's how its supposed to be done. Tell me, if this passenger had NOT gotten a seat because the flight ended up overbooked, would he have gotten IDB?
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:26 pm

I really don't give a hoot if Delta.dum cant do it, the CoC says that's how its supposed to be done. Tell me, if this passenger had NOT gotten a seat because the flight ended up overbooked, would he have gotten IDB?
Yes.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:30 pm

Yes.
So explain why - under the CoC and Rule 240, they would be eligible in that they are NOT confirmed on the flight - they are standby.

You do understand that you can't have it both ways. Either they are confirmed and are eligible for IDB and upgrades, or not. The IT excuse is tiresome. I call GA lazy/Shena on this.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:30 pm

So explain why - under the CoC and Rule 240, they would be eligible in that they are NOT confirmed on the flight - they are standby.

You do understand that you can't have it both ways. Either they are confirmed and are eligible for IDB and upgrades, or not. The IT excuse is tiresome. I call GA lazy/Shena on this.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:34 pm

So explain why - under the CoC and Rule 240, they would NOT be eligible in that they are NOT confirmed on the flight - they are standby.

The IT excuse may be tiresome, but it is true.

Seats are held for gate control and these passengers are assigned an HK standby code which means "Passenger with confirmed space needing a seat assignment". HKs are cleared with gate control seats and seats vacated by upgrades. If you are assigned an HK code, you will appear on the standby list. If a pax with an HK is not accommodated, they are IDB eligible.

I know it is fun to see yourself type, but you really are wrong on this issue.

The passenger is guaranteed a seat, but the current technology cannot list them for a coach seat and a first class seats. Non revs are given an S code and an F/Y designation in cabin. S codes are cleared last.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:39 pm

Did you read what you asked in your original post, or are you arguing just to argue?

Someone who works for DL, please set BICoastal straight....obviously can't keep up with what he's asking....little steamy teapot ready to blow.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 12:53 pm

The IT excuse may be tiresome, but it is true.
Seats are held for gate control and these passengers are assigned an HK standby code which means "Passenger with confirmed space needing a seat assignment".
Then ask your marketing department to stop with the bull promotion about complimentary upgrades. Your process is broken - confirmed space means eligible for an upgrade:

If your upgrade is still not confirmed when you check in, your pending upgrade request will be automatically added to the airport standby list.

This passenger was confirmed in Y - he was checked in before the deadline - automatically no less - by Delta.dum. He should have been on the upgrade list according to Delta rules.

HKs are cleared with gate control seats and seats vacated by upgrades. If you are assigned an HK code, you will appear on the standby list. If a pax with an HK is not accommodated, they are IDB eligible.
We've already established that coinfirmed but unassigned passengers are getting upgrades - so apparently, there's a little GA Shena variance?

I know it is fun to see yourself type, but you really are wrong on this issue.
This is the second ad hominem - knock it off.

The passenger is guaranteed a seat, but the current technology cannot list them for a coach seat and a first class seats. Non revs are given an S code and an F/Y designation in cabin. S codes are cleared last.
IT limitations are not an excuse for or justification to violating your own rules and more over, the CoC. Sorry I'm not drinking the Delta koolaid on this one.

If I have a confirmed ticket on one of your planes I have every right to expect that my name appears on the upgrade list just like it says in the marketing materials...it may be #29 of 30...that I get.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:04 pm

Then ask your marketing department to stop with the bull promotion about complimentary upgrades. Your process is broken - confirmed space means eligible for an upgrade:

If your upgrade is still not confirmed when you check in, your pending upgrade request will be automatically added to the airport standby list.

This passenger was confirmed in Y - he was checked in before the deadline - automatically no less - by Delta.dum. He should have been on the upgrade list according to Delta rules.

We've already established that coinfirmed but unassigned passengers are getting upgrades - so apparently, there's a little GA Shena variance?

This is the second ad hominem - knock it off.

IT limitations are not an excuse for or justification to violating your own rules and more over, the CoC. Sorry I'm not drinking the Delta koolaid on this one.

If I have a confirmed ticket on one of your planes I have every right to expect that my name appears on the upgrade list just like it says in the marketing materials...it may be #29 of 30...that I get.
Hey man, I'm just telling you what the gate agent sees on their screen. It isn't laziness by any means. I know you want an argument, but looking at your history, that seems to be your thing. Sorry you are so bitter.

I am done arguing that the sky is blue with you.

Most people on here that know how things work generally want to help, most DL employees want to be customer-friendly. Customers like you make it very difficult sometimes.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 1:21 pm

Someone who works for DL, please set BICoastal straight....obviously can't keep up with what he's asking....little steamy teapot ready to blow.
bicostal, I'm not criticizing you, but look carefully at the quote by btlcrkm28. btlcrkm28 is admitting they don't work for Delta. Maybe btlcrkm28 is right, maybe not, but if they are not currently a Delta employee then they must provide some proof that what was said is current and correct.
Old Dec 5, 2012, 5:46 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Platinum
A "seat request card" constitutes a confirmed reservation. A reservation results in the standard application of the upgrade policy. The passenger was not on stand-by - he was confirmed without a seat assignment. Its in the CoC. Page 21. Had he been denied boarding it would have been an IDB Rule 240.
-snip-
The upgrade priority has been stated and restated countless times - beginning with the SWUs, the full Y's and then the complimentary medallions by level.

In this case - the GA messed up. Though you are not entitled to an upgrade, with an SRC you are a confirmed passenger and entilted to be upgraded according to the priority list depending on availability. If 8 NRSAs were upgraded at T-45, then its Shena.
Thanks for the details. In PHL tonight I asked the SkyClub folks to look into it, and they said that even though I was obviously confirmed on the later flight, I never made it to the upgrade list. That, in and of itself, is an issue. Then they told me that "no non-revs were in F," but I'm more willing to believe the FAs than the computer. Either way, the Sky Club folks told me that there were SEVERAL Silvers in F, which is just infuriating.

And, for the record, I'm a she.

Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by txaggie94
Thanks for the details. In PHL tonight I asked the SkyClub folks to look into it, and they said that even though I was obviously confirmed on the later flight, I never made it to the upgrade list. That, in and of itself, is an issue. Then they told me that "no non-revs were in F," but I'm more willing to believe the FAs than the computer. Either way, the Sky Club folks told me that there were SEVERAL Silvers in F, which is just infuriating.
Don't be too infuriated, unless they said the Silvers had been upgraded. It is quite possible they bought those seats.

David
Old Dec 5, 2012, 6:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Don't be too infuriated, unless they said the Silvers had been upgraded. It is quite possible they bought those seats.

David
Or on full Y tix. Heck, four transcons a year, just once a quarter, and you're FO when purchasing full Y and quite possibly, almost likely, upgraded at time of booking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.