Wiki Posts
Search

London Arrival showers

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8, 2011, 4:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by mtkeller
(Given the zoo-like nature you can encounter at LHR)
I do not get the LHR hate. Back in the late 90's I had to attend classes near LHR and back then I was commuting from BOS. It really was a bit of a zoo at times back then but I find LHR to be pretty nice particularly with the new terminal. The major issue with LHR for me is the 1.5 hour ride I have to my office. Has DL ever flown into BHX?
Old Mar 8, 2011, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by avidflyer
I do not get the LHR hate. Back in the late 90's I had to attend classes near LHR and back then I was commuting from BOS. It really was a bit of a zoo at times back then but I find LHR to be pretty nice particularly with the new terminal. The major issue with LHR for me is the 1.5 hour ride I have to my office. Has DL ever flown into BHX?
I don't mind LHR, but I think for infrequent travellers, it can be overwhelming. This is especially true if you're stuck in a massive queue for the ever cheerful UKBA agents after an overnight flight on which you didn't get any sleep. (I don't care for the gate areas at T4, but I'll be GM soon enough and won't have to worry about that any more.)

As far as BHX goes, in rummaging through the thread from a while back in which someone there was trying to petition DL for TATL service, it appears it was considered five or six years ago, but that's it.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 5:29 am

Programs: - DL DM, HH Gold
They discontinued the MSP-LGW service as well. Someone I know in FAR was lamenting this, as she and her husband love to visit London and always preferred to just fly MSP-FAR-LGW. I think they may have some friends in that area (or more convenient to it than LHR), but she also just seemed to prefer it as an airport. (Given the zoo-like nature you can encounter at LHR, this seems like a completely natural preference for a Midwesterner nearing retirement age.)
Oh boy - you just made my day - Mrs TATL is an Ohioan so I am now familiar (her family, not her!) with the mindset of middle-aged Midwesterners ... so that and the zoo comment killed me
Old Mar 8, 2011, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by avidflyer
Yes, T5 is pretty swanky ^. Great for thsoe flying BA. But other parts just feel so darned tired, and you are of course right about the cross-town journey. Nice heading to the airport in a car service at 2pm, but not fun going into town after overnight TATL. Public transport? Hoho.

To be fair, I think the comments were in general more lamenting the canned routes, not so much LHR-hating.

But in defence of the haters, it is something of a sport for us travelling Londoners.. it is what Brits discuss for the the 5 mins we are not talking about the rain.

Good question re BHX.

As far as BHX goes, in rummaging through the thread from a while back in which someone there was trying to petition DL for TATL service, it appears it was considered five or six years ago, but that's it.
Interesting comments re BHX - thank you mtkeller! I suppose that they simply looked there and MAN at that time, because wasn't it also around 5/6 years ago (fall 2006??) that the JFK>MAN route began, and made their choice (no point in serving both).

With hindsight they probably picked it right, as MAN has been quite the go-getter . Who would have thought, 15-20 years ago, there would be non-stop service MAN>AUH?!
Old Mar 8, 2011, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
T5 may be swanky, but I've found, at least in my experience, security lines tend to be longer (makes sense since it's BA's primary terminal) than my experience in the regular security lines in T4, which can be frustrating.
Old Mar 8, 2011, 7:47 am

Programs: AA ExecP
Originally Posted by TTT
I know the Yotel has a list of eligible passengers for checkin. I'll be flying in J, but my companion will be flying in Y from another city, and does not have any status. Basically, are there any companion privileges such that both of us could use the Yotel?
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by rwoman
T5 may be swanky, but I've found, at least in my experience, security lines tend to be longer (makes sense since it's BA's primary terminal) than my experience in the regular security lines in T4, which can be frustrating.
^ And also seem bizarrely cramped, for reasons that I cannot understand given how long after 9/11 such (relatively minor) internal items were finalised/built
Old Mar 8, 2011, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by flying_q
I know the Yotel has a list of eligible passengers for checkin. I'll be flying in J, but my companion will be flying in Y from another city, and does not have any status. Basically, are there any companion privileges such that both of us could use the Yotel?

You would probably have to pay for your companion - you can book in advance on their website. I recommend booking in advance as they do tend to fill up. When I've used the Yotel in the past, I have seen it get busy with either reserved guests or folks arriving from TATL flights.
Old Mar 19, 2011, 8:58 pm

It appears the free Delta stay at the Yotel is a hour. Has anyone been able to extend this by paying?
Old Mar 19, 2011, 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
It appears the free Delta stay at the Yotel is a hour. Has anyone been able to extend this by paying?
Have never tried. email and ask, and if they say no, just book it as a stand-alone to begin after your DL time?
Old Mar 20, 2011, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by TATL lawyer
Have never tried. email and ask, and if they say no, just book it as a stand-alone to begin after your DL time?
Actually I think I may just book stand alone anyway. It appears you have to do a mininum of four hours.. If my first plane is on time I would probably like almost three hours... probably just as cheap to book the cheapest "cabin" for four hours. That gives me time for a short nap, shower etc. before flight two (I am booking them at least 4 hours apart since it's a non-protected connection. Got the good deal on BOS-LHR BE fares and will be doing either AF or BA to Orly from LHR Reading your comments on the BA terminal is pushing me torward the AF option, they are about the same price so...and the AF fares are not getting me DL credit )

Thanks!

Last edited by Orange County Commuter; Mar 20, 2011 at 8:11 am
Old Mar 20, 2011, 12:10 pm
Suspended

Low LHR Shower Expectations

Originally Posted by SteveinA2
What does Delta offer in LHR in the way of an arrival lounge. Nothing seems clearly described on www.delta.com
I found them easily. The sign to the Yotel are clear. I presented myself to sign up and the person said I was good to go, in about an hour. There were 8 people ahead of me.

Walked away.
Old Mar 20, 2011, 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
I found them easily. The sign to the Yotel are clear. I presented myself to sign up and the person said I was good to go, in about an hour. There were 8 people ahead of me.

Walked away.
Hmm... wonder if "booking and paying" puts you ahead of airline "freebies" (I am sure Yotel is getting paid by the airline, but "freebie" to us)

I am not going to be happy if I do decide to book and pay and then get told "wait an hour"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.