Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2012, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by wilsonnyc
Finished the first leg of a JFK>CDG>BKK flight in affaires a few days ago, which was booked back in March, SWUs successfully used on all legs, tickets reissued properly, seats confirmed, etc....

Anyhow, after reading a lot of threads about issues between AF/Delta seat assignments (and watching our seats like a hawk for months), lo and behold, 24 or so hrs before our flight, our seat assignments on AF.com magically dissappear. We were still confirmed into affaires, but now were being told that our seats would be assigned at the airport. Ugh. Of course we show up in JFK and are told that there are now no two seats together on the CDG>BKK leg, but that we could talk to someone at CDG about changing seats. While not the end of the world, it was mind boggling to me that our tickets were purchased 9 months ago, reissued properly, seat assignments confirmed on AF.com (i.e. not Delta.com), only to be told that our seats choices were not only cancelled (we picked the seats we wanted once we reissued...i think every seat in affaires was available at that point), but that they could now not accommodate 2 seats together for an 11 hour flight. After some very very unhelpful conversations with some AF agents in CDG (AF ticketing had "no idea why the seats were cancelled" and that "we do not know why this happens, there is nothing i can do") and a few chats with the Diamond line, it appears that something happened to our seats at t-40 hours and there was nothing AF or DL could do to fix it - our seat assignments were just given away (I called DL before our flight when I saw our assignments dissapeared on AF.com and they said to sort it out at the airport - they couldn't assign seats, even after calling AF ticketing).

I stayed with the Diamond line and ensured that our seats on the return leg were confirmed (fingers crossed), but I guess my only advice for those doing these AF upgrades with SWUs through DL is to not only make sure your tickets are reissued properly, but that your seats are properly assigned +48hrs before your flight - apparently seat assignments on AF.com don't work all that well and can dissappear before your flight, despite having picked your seats months ago on AF.com. If I had to do it again, I guess i would call DL about 2 days before the flight and ensure that the seat assignments are 100% confirmed. I'll prob call again from Bangkok on our way out to be safe.

Ended up being able to move one person on the flight so that the wife and I were at least across the aisle, but it was still incredibly annoying given how long ago the tickets were purchased, seats (apparently) chosen, etc. Using SWUs on AF is a nice perk (we sat in affaires for sub $2K RT), but they sure make it difficult to make sure you get exactly what you want.
After selecting seats on AF.com, verifying on klm.com and checkmytrip.com, my itin now 4 days preflight shows no seat assignments and they won't stick.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 10:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by mnredfox
After selecting seats on AF.com, verifying on klm.com and checkmytrip.com, my itin now 4 days preflight shows no seat assignments and they won't stick.
So dumb. I dunno, since you're 4 days out, I would call DL, ask them specifically to chat with AF ticketing, and see if they could confirm your seats manually. Our issue was that we traveling together, and by the time we realized our seats were gone and got to the airport, all 2-seat configs were taken. I'd be curious to see what Delta is able to do at 4 days out.
Old Jan 1, 2012, 11:41 pm

Programs: AS 100K, DL MM, AA PLT
Finished the first leg of a JFK>CDG>BKK flight in affaires a few days ago, which was booked back in March, SWUs successfully used on all legs, tickets reissued properly, seats confirmed, etc....
I understand it was annoying, but... If you still ended up in Affaires on CDG/BKK and vv., I'd quit complaining about seat assignments and lay low---those upgrades should not have been issued, and, as many have observed up thread, are actively being voided by DL when discovered.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 1:17 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Erasmus
I understand it was annoying, but... If you still ended up in Affaires on CDG/BKK and vv., I'd quit complaining about seat assignments and lay low---those upgrades should not have been issued, and, as many have observed up thread, are actively being voided by DL when discovered.
Yeah, very lucky the upgrade was not taken away by all recent accounts.
Old Jan 2, 2012, 2:57 am

Anyhow, after reading a lot of threads about issues between AF/Delta seat assignments (and watching our seats like a hawk for months), lo and behold, 24 or so hrs before our flight, our seat assignments on AF.com magically dissappear.

Ended up being able to move one person on the flight so that the wife and I were at least across the aisle, but it was still incredibly annoying given how long ago the tickets were purchased, seats (apparently) chosen, etc.
This story is oddly similar to our last TATL flight from AMS-DTW, but on DL. We had booked M fares with SWU upgrades on KLM from CPH-AMS, and DL from AMS-MCO via DTW. All upgrades were confirmed and seats assigned at time of booking. I checked our record every week, including the night before the flight, when seats were still showing as originally reserved (2C & E on the DL AMS-DTW leg). I was mostly checking to keep an eye on the KLM legs since I'd read here to do that.

At check-in in CPH I did briefly notice that my seat for AMS-DTW on DL was now 4C and assumed we'd been moved back two rows, or that perhaps there was an equipment change (hoping for a refurb!). I didn't notice until we landed in AMS and were on our way to the gate that my husband's BP was the originally-reserved 2E. Our connection was short and they were already boarding when we arrived at the gate; in fact, boarding was almost complete although the flight wouldn't leave for more than 45 minutes.

The gate agents in AMS were terribly unhelpful and said they did not have two seats together. I tried to explain that we'd had these two seats booked for months and they were still showing the night before in the system, and had a print-out of the reservation with the seats displayed. After some checking, she claimed that a couple of seats were broken which caused them to move seat assignments, but those same seats were now repaired and occupied. I do not understand why we were split in the move as we were on the same PNR, nor why it wasn't rectified once the seats were back in service. She told us to board and the FAs would help seat us together.

It was a very awkward and uncomfortable situation, because we appeared like some idiot couple who not only didn't reserve our seats in advance, but also turned up last to board (not our fault as we walked directly from our connecting flight to the gate). Or people may have thought we were last minute op-ups, rather than people who had booked months in advance, and should be happy with any seats. At first, the FA tried to ask us if we'd be ok with 5B & C (across the aisle from one another), because the gentleman in 5B was just starting to get seated and she probably felt he'd be easiest to move.

There was a solo woman traveler in 4E, with my husband's BP for 4C, and a solo man traveler in 2C with my BP in 2E, but the FA wouldn't even try to ask one of them to switch. Since the gentleman in 2C could not have possibly had his seat assignment earlier than about 16 hours prior, because I'd checked our assignments late the previous night and we still had 2C&E, I did not understand why it couldn't be explained to him and he be asked to move to 4C. After a bit of awkwardness when we weren't jumping at the across-the-aisle solution, the woman in 4E graciously offered to move. But she had already settled in, was sipping champagne, had stowed her belongings, etc., so it made the entire BE cabin notice the disruption which we seemed to be the cause of, so was quite embarrassing. There was no recognition by any of the FAs to our PM status --not intending to sound DYKWIA here, but the flight log would have shown we were both PM and you'd think they'd have made a little more effort to resolve the situation discretely rather than treat us like first-time flyers who didn't know we should have arrived early and/or booked seats in advance, and so had to inconvenience the entire BE cabin.

Susan
Old Jan 2, 2012, 6:37 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by Erasmus
i hear ya, and understand we were lucky (I think the UG's stuck because they were bought/redeemed/reissued well before a lot of the reported crackdowns...and I have a long paper trail with DL confirming everything was kosher) - this was less a complaint about our situation and more an observation/caveat for future travelers upgrading on AF/KLM and want to sit in the seats they have chosen. While I'm still not sure what the exact solution is (sounds like other folks like Susan have had similar issues, despite going through all the normal steps), I think it's probably the safest thing to do to call DL at t-48 and ask them to specifically confirm the assignments with AF. I think our issue was that because the assignments themselves were never confirmed with AF specifically (despite seeing our seats both on DL and AF sites for months), they never really stuck and we were left on a full flight, less than 24 hrs from leaving, without any 2 seats together. As I noted, it wasn't the end of the world and we were happy to be affaires, it was just a strange occurence, given all the attn we paid to our seats/reissues in the 9 months since the tickets were bought.
Old Jan 3, 2012, 11:54 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
So dumb. I dunno, since you're 4 days out, I would call DL, ask them specifically to chat with AF ticketing, and see if they could confirm your seats manually. Our issue was that we traveling together, and by the time we realized our seats were gone and got to the airport, all 2-seat configs were taken. I'd be curious to see what Delta is able to do at 4 days out.
+1. Well more fiasco's overnight, but last night DL PNR shows 2 flights removed, even though ticket record shows all flights, current reservations shows 2 flights were removed.

Call to DL, was told by DM agent that it was Amex Travel that did it. They manually do long sell to re-enter the flights, but flights gone.

Call to Amex Travel indicates DL did it. Great, the finger pointing game.

Then, T-minus 2 days ticket still not reissued with SWU's. Had to call the DM line to have them call the ST UG desk to do manual reissue. After 2 years of electronic SWU's, it appears DL STILL does not have it's act together regarding the manual reissues. I've had this problem repeatedly with DL, time for TTU.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 2:20 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by B7e7US
Done! Got a nice agent, who put me on hold for about 5 minutes, and got the ticket reissued. She mentioned that ALL departing C passengers from CDG are forced to pay the luxury tax, or the reissue process will NOT run. For my ticket, it was 55 Dollars.
Happy to report that everything went really well. However, even though the service was great, I didn't find Affairs to be a big deal. The seat (NEV4) was the worst lie-flat I've ever seen. Not sure if I wasn't able to find the right position, but I just couldn't sleep. Next time will fly through LHR on the DL 764.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 11:02 am

Happy to report that everything went really well. However, even though the service was great, I didn't find Affairs to be a big deal. The seat (NEV4) was the worst lie-flat I've ever seen. Not sure if I wasn't able to find the right position, but I just couldn't sleep. Next time will fly through LHR on the DL 764.
What was your route? I paid twice that in luxury tax CDG-JFK...
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
I paid also $55 or so for DTW/CDG-CDG/SLC
Old Jan 4, 2012, 3:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
CDG-JFK was the one I upgraded. BOS-CDG was booked in Business from the beginning so I guess they charged me the luxury tax for that segment when I purchased the ticket.
Old Jan 5, 2012, 10:32 am

CDG-JFK was the one I upgraded. BOS-CDG was booked in Business from the beginning so I guess they charged me the luxury tax for that segment when I purchased the ticket.
Got it, thanks.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Something bizarro just happened to one of my AF SWU itineraries. Going from LAX-FCO in March. Entire flight was booked as DL codeshare in W with O availability, agent properly upgraded my LAX-CDG legs into O, flight numbers for those segments only changed to the AF flight numbers, the shorter flights remained as DL flight numbers.

That was six weeks ago. Checked the itinerary today on the DL site, and the return CDG-LAX legs shows me in coach? Checking the itinerary on AF shows something even more bizarre -- both the LAX-CDG and CDG-LAX legs are "duplicated", with a premium economy and business version.

Talked to DL and they said they sent communication to AF and to check back in a couple of days. Not sure what could have happened here? I have a similar itinerary LAX-MAD in February that has not been affected by this glitch.
Old Jan 7, 2012, 6:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
Expert flyer shows O9...3 separate DL agents claim no availability

Flying LAX-ZRH Feb 15th returning Feb 17th. Expert flyer shows O9 &O6 for AF065 on outbound and AF066 on inbound. Have called 3 separate times and been told by agents no O class available. I know it is as I did a dummy award booking in affaires for those exact flights and it shows available. I have to ticket today as my certs expire tonight. Any advice? Do I just keep calling back?
Old Jan 7, 2012, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
Originally Posted by brit44
Flying LAX-ZRH Feb 15th returning Feb 17th. Expert flyer shows O9 &O6 for AF065 on outbound and AF066 on inbound. Have called 3 separate times and been told by agents no O class available. I know it is as I did a dummy award booking in affaires for those exact flights and it shows available. I have to ticket today as my certs expire tonight. Any advice? Do I just keep calling back?
I just checked and saw O0 on the 15th and O6 on the return. Checked again and then saw O9 on the outbound. Strange!

It's been reported though that there's more O inventory available for AF/KL bookings that what's available to DL, but with at least O6, I'd be surprised if DL didn't have some seats available to them.

Could it be that Delta can't book the connecting Cityjet flights and so can't see any inventory?

Finally, I've found that relatively few DL agents actually know how to book into O. Maybe keep trying and hope for a more "informed" rep.

Last edited by FlytheTail; Jan 7, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.