Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

TATL Upgrades using Skymiles and SWUs on Air France/KLM

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2011, 6:35 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by WorldEagle
Hey guys,

I heard from the AF forum that AF doesn't do waitlists, but an earlier post in this thread states that the only way to have good chances of getting upgraded is to be waitlisted.

FYI, the flight is ATL-CDG in W, trying to upgrade to O using SWU or SkyMiles.
You cannot waitlist on AF or KL. Best bet is to get a subscription to ExpertFlyer and check for O inventory on a daily basis. As soon as it opens, call DL and apply the SWU or miles. Make sure they reissue the ticket immediately. Do not let it be added to the queue.
Old Sep 12, 2011, 7:23 pm
LGA

Programs: AS; AA; UA; DL; VS; BA; Nat'l Emer. Exec.; AGR
Originally Posted by DLNYC
Best bet is to get a subscription to ExpertFlyer and check for O inventory on a daily basis. As soon as it opens, call DL and apply the SWU or miles.
WorldEagle, in case you don't know, EF does have a notification service. I don't know how many times a day their system checks for upgrade space, but it worked well for me. Have people found O space when checking one or more times a day and found it before the notification service informed you it was there?
Old Sep 15, 2011, 1:33 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
What a BS process I have gotten my SWU's and followed the steps of the customer rep. to the letter. As instructed, I did go to DL.com, booked AF flights in W class, and wanted to consume the SWU's. The inital rep. told me that I need to call the SkyMiles desk for that, what I naively belived. So I hung up and called the number provided.

The answering agent was quick in telling me that I have booked:
  1. DL-marketed but AF-operated flights cannot be upgraded by SWU
  2. despite having booked on DL.com, the rep insists that I did a telephone booking
  3. the return has no capacity, despite EF staing O > 9

Am I being by lied to by the agents? In the terms of the SWU I cannot find any exclusion of DL-marketed flights and I simply cannot belive that they want me to book on AF.com?

UPDATE: The next agent told me to call international reservations to have the ticket reissued into AF stock. This is really getting crazy. I would appreciate any advice!
Old Sep 15, 2011, 1:44 am

Programs: DL-Diamond & 1MM; HH-Diamond; Marriott-Gold
Short answer is "yes, in order to use your Delta SWU on AF operated flights, your reservation needs to be booked under AF flight number." The O>9 that you are seeing on EF is also only useful when looking under the AF flight number. O will be zero if the agent simply looks under the DL flight number.

Usually, the agent knows this and will change your flights to AF flight numbers, and yes, the international reissue desk does need to be involved. However, I've never had to call the international reissue desk myself. Everytime, the agent simply does that for me and just put me on hold.

Originally Posted by c_d
What a BS process I have gotten my SWU's and followed the steps of the customer rep. to the letter. As instructed, I did go to DL.com, booked AF flights in W class, and wanted to consume the SWU's. The inital rep. told me that I need to call the SkyMiles desk for that, what I naively belived. So I hung up and called the number provided.

2. despite having booked on DL.com, the rep insists that I did a telephone booking

Am I being by lied to by the agents? In the terms of the SWU I cannot find any exclusion of DL-marketed flights and I simply cannot belive that they want me to book on AF.com?

UPDATE: The next agent told me to call international reservations to have the ticket reissued into AF stock. This is really getting crazy. I would appreciate any advice!
Old Sep 15, 2011, 1:45 am

Programs: DL-Diamond & 1MM; HH-Diamond; Marriott-Gold
Originally Posted by WorldEagle
Hey guys,

I heard from the AF forum that AF doesn't do waitlists, but an earlier post in this thread states that the only way to have good chances of getting upgraded is to be waitlisted.

FYI, the flight is ATL-CDG in W, trying to upgrade to O using SWU or SkyMiles.
Can you upgrade from W to O using Deltal Skymiles on AF? I didn't think so, but would be happy to know if otherwise!
Old Sep 15, 2011, 3:43 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA PE, HH Gold
Originally Posted by c_d

I would second the first sentence! It's 2011, both airlines partnering for 15 years now, we got told that "Skyteam offers are seamless travel experience" and is "caring more about you"....
I'm confident that there are some IT folks in india which were capable of setting up a programm doing all this automaticly: i just put myself on the waitlist and specify if i would like to use a SWU or miles. As soon as "O" class opens up the system will upgrade me, pulls the SWU or the miles, reissues the ticket and sends me an confirmation email. But that's just me....
Old Sep 15, 2011, 5:28 am
c_d

Originally Posted by BER Flyer
I would second the first sentence! It's 2011, both airlines partnering for 15 years now, we got told that "Skyteam offers are seamless travel experience" and is "caring more about you"....
I'm confident that there are some IT folks in india which were capable of setting up a programm doing all this automaticly: i just put myself on the waitlist and specify if i would like to use a SWU or miles. As soon as "O" class opens up the system will upgrade me, pulls the SWU or the miles, reissues the ticket and sends me an confirmation email. But that's just me....
True, true. But what drives me so MAD is that I actually called a "Delta" customer service representative to talk me through the process. I was following that procedure just to find out that the advise was wrong and that I have to call many, many times in order to get it done I mean, honestly, why is a KLM customer rep. faking being a DL rep.? And what sould a normal passenger like me do with comments "I can only process 057 stock here but you're on 006." followed by hanging up (don't explain it to me, THAT is something I do know)? I have limited experience with it because I hardly used SWU's: they make no sense for business travels, nor for personal travels since the required M fare was traditionally only 100€ cheaper than BE.

I am on phone with a real DL agent at the moment and she seems to be very helpful and knowing of the process. I still have hopes but when it is not done in a couple of minutes, I simply cancel the trip and take CO (it's to IAH anyway).

I have limited experience with it because I hardly used SWU's because they make no sense for business travels, nor for personal travels since the required M fare was traditionally only 100€ cheaper than BE.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 8:53 am

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Regardless of the question asked, there are agents that are really helpful and there are agents that are really useless.
When you feel like you don't get the answer you want or are non satisfied with what's going on, simply tell them "thanks, I'll call back later" and hang up. Call back and ask again. Chances are, the next representative is going to be great.
Last time I called to upgrade a W to O (a week ago), I was ready to guide the agent trhough the process and it turns out in 5 minutes or so, without me guiding her, she had changed the DL coded AF flight into an AF number and processed the W to O upgrade for both my partner and I (2 different reservations). I then asked to talk to re-issue desk immediately so the ticket will be re-issued now, she transfered me and it was done in another 5 minutes, the ticketing agent even assigned us seats and gave me the AF confirmation numbers. I could then check on AF website that everything was done perfectly. Overall, 10-15 min maximum from asking to apply the SWU to ticket re-issued (and confirmation emails received with new ticket number while still on the phone). ^
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:13 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by vgb2001
Regardless of the question asked, there are agents that are really helpful and there are agents that are really useless.
When you feel like you don't get the answer you want or are non satisfied with what's going on, simply tell them "thanks, I'll call back later" and hang up. Call back and ask again. Chances are, the next representative is going to be great.
Last time I called to upgrade a W to O (a week ago), I was ready to guide the agent trhough the process and it turns out in 5 minutes or so, without me guiding her, she had changed the DL coded AF flight into an AF number and processed the W to O upgrade for both my partner and I (2 different reservations). I then asked to talk to re-issue desk immediately so the ticket will be re-issued now, she transfered me and it was done in another 5 minutes, the ticketing agent even assigned us seats and gave me the AF confirmation numbers. I could then check on AF website that everything was done perfectly. Overall, 10-15 min maximum from asking to apply the SWU to ticket re-issued (and confirmation emails received with new ticket number while still on the phone). ^
I'm still a bit confused (I probabaly shouldn't be) about upgrading from a DL-coded, AF metal W fare to O. I have been told repeatedly by Delta that this is not allowed, that I have to buy a W fare on AF (which in the few examples I have checked is far more expensive than W on a DL coded flight).

In your example, you booked a DL-coded, AF metal W fare, they were able to covert it to an AF coded ticket (on DL stock) in the same W fare, then were able to upgrade to O. Am I following this correctly?

Edited to add that I did a booking for W on DL-coded, AF-metal on Dl.com, and then PV on AF.com, which booked into A class, and the prices were nearly identical.

Last edited by TrojanTraveler; Sep 15, 2011 at 9:20 am
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:31 am

[QUOTE=TrojanTraveler;17114050]I'm still a bit confused (I probabaly shouldn't be) about upgrading from a DL-coded, AF metal W fare to O. I have been told repeatedly by Delta that this is not allowed, that I have to buy a W fare on AF (which in the few examples I have checked is far more expensive than W on a DL coded flight).

In your example, you booked a DL-coded, AF metal W fare, they were able to covert it to an AF coded ticket (on DL stock) in the same W fare, then were able to upgrade to O. Am I following this correctly?
QUOTE]

Yes you are following right. Delta coded W fare (which bookd AF PV) bought on delta.com ARE eligible for upgrade to O. I specifically asked this question months ago @deltaassist and got the affirmative answer. Since then, others and I have booked W fare on delta.com and upgraded them using SWU to O (now also possible using 15k miles for non plat members). Some agents aren't trained properly so if you are told otherwise, just hang up and call back untill you talk to an agent who knows the right rule.
The great thing about booking this on delta.com rather than AF is that if you have a domestic portion, it will be automatically booked in Y fare, which almost guarantees immediate upgrade to first.
On the other hand, since June 1st, PV booked on an A fare on airfrance.com (.us) IS NOT eligible for upgrade to O. Only W and S fare are.
See: http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...erts/index.jsp

Those AF S and W fares are often way more expensive than W fare on Delta. However, W fares on delta are not available all the time and I often see W0 on delta but S9W9 (even sometimes A available) on AF. Therefore, not all AF PV options TATL are available on delta.com at all time.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 9:36 am

Programs: DM/3MM
[QUOTE=vgb2001;17114147]
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
I'm still a bit confused (I probabaly shouldn't be) about upgrading from a DL-coded, AF metal W fare to O. I have been told repeatedly by Delta that this is not allowed, that I have to buy a W fare on AF (which in the few examples I have checked is far more expensive than W on a DL coded flight).

QUOTE]

Yes you are following right. Delta coded W fare (which bookd AF PV) bought on delta.com ARE eligible for upgrade to O. I specifically asked this question months ago @deltaassist and got the affirmative answer. Since then, others and I have booked W fare on delta.com and upgraded them using SWU to O (now also possible using 15k miles for non plat members). Some agents aren't trained properly so if you are told otherwise, just hang up and call back untill you talk to an agent who knows the right rule.
The great thing about booking this on delta.com rather than AF is that if you have a domestic portion, it will be automatically booked in Y fare, which almost guarantees immediate upgrade to first.
On the other hand, since June 1st, PV booked on an A fare on airfrance.com (.us) IS NOT eligible for upgrade to O. Only W and S fare are.

Those AF S and W fares are often way more expensive than W fare on Delta. However, W fares on delta are not available all the time and I often see W0 on delta but S9W9 (even sometimes A available) on AF. Therefore, not all AF PV options TATL are available on delta.com at all time.
Thanks, and wow this is great news. The SWUs became valuable to me again when we could use them to upgrade from A class on AF, but when that was taken away I thought that window had closed (as you point out, W on AF is much more). I haven't looked recently but the W pricing on Dl.com on cities beyond CDG (but throught) has been fairly good vs. regular low fare economy. The SWUs are potentially valuable once again.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 10:35 am
c_d

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler

I was told by at least four agents today that this is not possible. What they told me was that DL-MARKETED but AF-OPERATED (literally all W-class on DL.com) are NOT available for upgrade by SWU.

Additionally, they told me that they when the travel is originating in the U.S. they simply reissue the ticket to AF in the back office and go for it but that this is not possible if the ticket was bought outside the U.S. and the first flight originates outside of the U.S.
Old Sep 15, 2011, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by c_d
I was told by at least four agents today that this is not possible. What they told me was that DL-MARKETED but AF-OPERATED (literally all W-class on DL.com) are NOT available for upgrade by SWU.

Additionally, they told me that they when the travel is originating in the U.S. they simply reissue the ticket to AF in the back office and go for it but that this is not possible if the ticket was bought outside the U.S. and the first flight originates outside of the U.S.
I don't know what to tell you more other that I did it several times, last time being was just a few days ago, that I got the confirmation that this is feasible from @deltaassist (as I posted previously) and that numerous other reported on flyertalk that they did it too.

As for ticket bought outside of US, I have no experience.

EDITED TO ADD THE FULL TWITTER EXCHANGE WITH @DELTAASSIST
Here is the exact exchange I had with @deltaassist

vgb2001:Used to buy Prem Eco AF on delta.com (W fare) and upgrade to Biz (O fare bucket) with SWU. I just got 4 new SWUs. Still possible?

Deltaassist:Yes. SWUs are valid only on AF operated Transatlantic Joint Venture flts between N America & Europe equipped w/Premium Voyageur cabin.

vgb2001:Thanks. Can you make sure about specific fare eligibility ? Especially W fare delta ticket bought on delta.com?

Deltaassist: Delta published fare booked in W- upgrade as Air France to O class for Premium Voyageur to Affaires (Business).

Last edited by vgb2001; Sep 15, 2011 at 11:39 am Reason: EDITED TO ADD THE FULL TWITTER EXCHANGE WITH @DELTAASSIST
Old Sep 15, 2011, 1:50 pm
c_d

I don't know what to tell you more other that I did it several times, last time being was just a few days ago, that I got the confirmation that this is feasible from @deltaassist (as I posted previously) and that numerous other reported on flyertalk that they did it too.

As for ticket bought outside of US, I have no experience.

EDITED TO ADD THE FULL TWITTER EXCHANGE WITH @DELTAASSIST
Here is the exact exchange I had with @deltaassist

vgb2001:Used to buy Prem Eco AF on delta.com (W fare) and upgrade to Biz (O fare bucket) with SWU. I just got 4 new SWUs. Still possible?

Deltaassist:Yes. SWUs are valid only on AF operated Transatlantic Joint Venture flts between N America & Europe equipped w/Premium Voyageur cabin.

vgb2001:Thanks. Can you make sure about specific fare eligibility ? Especially W fare delta ticket bought on delta.com?

Deltaassist: Delta published fare booked in W- upgrade as Air France to O class for Premium Voyageur to Affaires (Business).
vgb2001 My intention was not to have a debate with you on whether what you stated before was right or not. I am very sure that you have had success before. All I am trying to communicate here is that there seems to be an issue with trips that originate outside of the U.S. I did play by the FT rules and re-called, re-called, re-called. To my big surprise, the information I received was consistent (not saying that it was right).

I am still amazed by that. When I click on "redeem now" in the SWU e-Mail, it brings me right to delta.com. The info I got from the Plat line is significantly diverging: I am supposed to book directly at AF or KLM because DL states that it cannot change/reissue a non-U.S. originating trip in order to apply the SWU. I took the short cut by asking to have the trip cancelled under risk-free cancellation and immediately rebooked on AF-coded flights. Unfortunately this only worked for the outbound.

At least the last pair of agent tried really hard instead of just repeating "impossible" like a broken record.
Old Sep 17, 2011, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL DM/3MM, Lifetime DL SkyClub, BA Gold, Amex Centurion, AVIS Chairman's, Hertz Platinum
Ok, so the first time i did this, it was last Dec, right after this using an SWU to upgrade from PV-J on a AF ticket. It was the longest process in the world but it worked. Booked on AF.us, called delta, they changed it to an -006 and processed the upgrades, it wasn't smooth, but it worked. Flew LAX-CDG-SEA.

I've been reading the several threads on this subject. I'm poised to book another ticket. Here are my questions. By the way, I want to fly SEA-CDG-BCN-CDG-SEA.

I've found the flights on DL.com using the "M+ or higher" trick. Its booking all the legs in (W) except sometimes its booking one of the BCN-CDG legs in (Y). Its around $1400 USD. Should I be worried about the segment that's booking in Y? Should I have DL hand book it over the phone to make all segments in W?

So its showing all the flights coded as DL 8xxx. So i can just book it as is and the DM agent should be able to change the flight numbers to AF numbers?

Also, expert flyer seems kind of wonky when I try to pull up these flights and search for (O). When I search for SEA-BCN / AF O it pulls up O1 and O1
When I search a segment SEA-CDG / AF O it is showing O8 and when I search the CDG-BCN it is showing O 4. Any reason why expertflyer will show me O1 when I search origin to final, but when I search the first segment by itself its showing me a different (higher/better) number?

Should I just assume that if i can book CDG-BCN attached to my SEA-CDG and both segments have (O) availability that the SWU should upgrade us all the way. Its just a short european hop, so I'm not overly worried. It seems like most people are having success with the intra europe connections and not the CDG-asia, south am, india, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.