Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2021, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by williwaw
I am thinking about using my Reserve companion fare for a Spring Break trip in 2022 to Key West. When I explore some fake bookings closer in and even out to those dates, the correct fare availability is pretty spotty. Its there, but not consistently and since I would like to travel over Spring Break I am a little concerned it might not work. Though when I search - W seems to be available pretty much all the time. But do I need any fare buckets open along with W in order to book into it with Reserve? I know sometimes Comfort+ is dependent on an underlying Y fare class. But not sure if that plays into companion fares. Maybe more simply put: if I see W in the results am I good to go? I sort of don't want to pay for C+ since I will probably get it as an instant upgrade. BUT if its the only way to get the companion fare it still is a savings, albeit less.
It sounds like you already have the card/cert - if so, just select it from your My Wallet page before running your flight search, and it will only return flights that you can use the cert on. No need to decipher underlying fare codes or anything like that.

Obv the inventory can change moment to moment as people buy tickets and rev mgmt makes whatever adjustments they make.
Old Jun 2, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by gooselee
It sounds like you already have the card/cert - if so, just select it from your My Wallet page before running your flight search, and it will only return flights that you can use the cert on. No need to decipher underlying fare codes or anything like that.

Obv the inventory can change moment to moment as people buy tickets and rev mgmt makes whatever adjustments they make.
I have not been able to get a non Y booking to make it through test bookings. The website hangs when I select the return trip or throws an error asking me to call in. It’s not pressing so I don’t worry. But the website isn’t helping me yet...
Old Jun 4, 2021, 6:03 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Since you can't use the Reserve certificate for Domestic D1 any longer.... can you use it to book coach AND apply RUC's to upgrade?
Old Jun 4, 2021, 7:28 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by Pianoman109876
Since you can't use the Reserve certificate for Domestic D1 any longer.... can you use it to book coach AND apply RUC's to upgrade?
You can apply RUCs to a companion certificate booking (this became possible a couple of years ago). But it is arguably a waste of the Reserve cert to book coach — if that’s going to be your primary use of the cert, you may be better off downgrading to the Platinum.
Old Jun 4, 2021, 8:48 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by bgriff
You can apply RUCs to a companion certificate booking (this became possible a couple of years ago). But it is arguably a waste of the Reserve cert to book coach — if that’s going to be your primary use of the cert, you may be better off downgrading to the Platinum.
Oh I flat out canceled the card - it's trash that you can't book into Domestic D1 any longer.
rylan likes this.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 7:41 pm

Programs: Delta Death March, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat, Marriott/Hilton Gold Life
New Companion Question - Do I have to fly?

So I noticed that I can start the process with a companion cert *as* a flier, but can shift to my wife or someone else with a SkyMiles number (I haven't completed the process).

Is this true? Can I actually a buy a companion ticket + paid ticket for two people of whom NEITHER is me?
Old Jun 5, 2021, 7:49 pm

Yes, but you have to purchase the tickets with your Amex and unless they are Delta Amex holders they will not get a free first bag.
Old Jun 5, 2021, 8:56 pm

Programs: DL DM
And it must be done from your account. Only has to be paid with an Amex card.
Old Jun 6, 2021, 11:42 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Looks like the website bugs that for 2 weeks had not allowed me to change a Companion Fare have been fixed. No inventory on my low density route, but at least the site is functional. Glad I booked months out.
Old Jun 7, 2021, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by bgriff
Absolutely, a waste and absurd that you'd have to pay a premium on top of the reserve annual fee now in order to book domestic D1.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 5:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by lindros2
Can I actually a buy a companion ticket + paid ticket for two people of whom NEITHER is me?
Correct, the account holder does not need to be a passenger.
photojojo and lindros2 like this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 9:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by rylan
Absolutely, a waste and absurd that you'd have to pay a premium on top of the reserve annual fee now in order to book domestic D1.
It's almost as if DL/Amex knows they can sell enough of the domestic D1 seats anyway, and want people to either use the certs on any of the many other city pairs that exist within the US48, or just let their cert go to spoilage but probably keep the card for other reasons...
Old Jun 14, 2021, 8:21 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by gooselee
It's almost as if DL/Amex knows they can sell enough of the domestic D1 seats anyway, and want people to either use the certs on any of the many other city pairs that exist within the US48, or just let their cert go to spoilage but probably keep the card for other reasons...
It is a little surprising since the routes where Delta offers domestic D1 are all out of pretty competitive markets where I would think Delta cares more than usual about keeping customers happy and engaged. If they had a plausible way to block, say, ATL-LAX from first class companion certificates, they might find that useful since they know Atlantans are stuck with them anyway. But annoying high-value customers in JFK, BOS, LAX, SEA and SFO and encouraging them to drop your credit card seems highly counterproductive for their strategy and competitive positioning in those markets.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 6:52 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Has anyone found a workaround for the website hanging? It seems to happen when I try to use the Reserve companion ticket to purchase first airfare in I/Z. Tried across different browsers/platforms with no luck.
Old Jun 16, 2021, 7:00 pm

I have been having the same problem

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.