Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Uhh Delta shouldnt Vegetarian meal be Vegetarian?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uhh Delta shouldnt Vegetarian meal be Vegetarian?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by Moebius01
So wait a sec, does that mean if my friends take me to a vegan restaurant, I should be able to order a steak and sue them if they don't give me one?
While I am not a Lawyer, and I don't play one on TV either. I don't think the case would have much merit.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:18 am

Programs: DL MM/DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres Circle, SPG Plat, Priority Plat, Sky Club, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by Singleflyer
So I guess the only solution is for DL and other airlines should discontinue the special meals because it can’t please 100% of the people who request them.
What a spectacular solution! Only serve pork on the Tel Aviv route. Only serve beef on the way to Mumbai. Stock up PEK to SFO with nothing but dog stew. That way everybody is equal. Nobody can complain about their special meal. I'm sure that'll be a crowd pleaser.

You should join the Delta customer satisfaction team. Everyone would go hungry on their long-haul flights but at least their complaint letters would have excellent spelling and grammar!

Honestly people, there are some cultures and lifestyles in the world that don't rely on fried chicken and biscuits for 99% of their nutritional needs. Delta is a global airline. It has global passengers. Those passengers are Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, and (gasp!) vegetarian and vegan.

The point of this thread is that there is a standard, well accepted definition of the what is kosher, what is lacto-vegetarian, what is vegan, etc, etc, etc. When DL represents that a meal meets one of those well-defined standards then DL needs to make certain it does. If DL served up kosher meals out of JFK with a salad dressing that contained pork there would be hell to pay - and rightly so.

The point is that the airline is making a representation about what's in the meal when they serve it to you. If that representation is false it's a problem, period. There's no "you should have looked closer". There's no "they really don't have to give you a special meal" at all.

What this is about is a company telling you one thing and delivering something else. That's a complaint no matter what. If DL was shorting the truth on upgrades there would be 2,000 posts on here within 12 hours. I don't see how this is any different. The OP asked for something, Delta told him they complied, it turned out they didn't. It's a valid complaint and I hope DL will make it right.

Cheers,
OPos.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:22 am

Programs: DL MM/DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres Circle, SPG Plat, Priority Plat, Sky Club, Admirals Club
Originally Posted by Moebius01
So wait a sec, does that mean if my friends take me to a vegan restaurant, I should be able to order a steak and sue them if they don't give me one?
No, it means that if you got to a restaurant and ask for a steak and they serve you horse meat you can sue them.

It also means that most people understand the difference between what happened to the OP and your lame-brain strawman argument, but that's another matter.

Cheers,
OPos.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:26 am
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by Opositive
What a spectacular solution! Only serve pork on the Tel Aviv route. Only serve beef on the way to Mumbai. Stock up PEK to SFO with nothing but dog stew. That way everybody is equal. Nobody can complain about their special meal. I'm sure that'll be a crowd pleaser.

You should join the Delta customer satisfaction team. Everyone would go hungry on their long-haul flights but at least their complaint letters would have excellent spelling and grammar!

Honestly people, there are some cultures and lifestyles in the world that don't rely on fried chicken and biscuits for 99% of their nutritional needs. Delta is a global airline. It has global passengers. Those passengers are Jewish, Muslim, Hindu, and (gasp!) vegetarian and vegan.

The point of this thread is that there is a standard, well accepted definition of the what is kosher, what is lacto-vegetarian, what is vegan, etc, etc, etc. When DL represents that a meal meets one of those well-defined standards then DL needs to make certain it does. If DL served up kosher meals out of JFK with a salad dressing that contained pork there would be hell to pay - and rightly so.

The point is that the airline is making a representation about what's in the meal when they serve it to you. If that representation is false it's a problem, period. There's no "you should have looked closer". There's no "they really don't have to give you a special meal" at all.

What this is about is a company telling you one thing and delivering something else. That's a complaint no matter what. If DL was shorting the truth on upgrades there would be 2,000 posts on here within 12 hours. I don't see how this is any different. The OP asked for something, Delta told him they complied, it turned out they didn't. It's a valid complaint and I hope DL will make it right.

Cheers,
OPos.
^^
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:41 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
The point of this thread is that there is a standard, well accepted definition of the what is kosher, what is lacto-vegetarian, what is vegan, etc, etc, etc.
While you and I may think so, there really isn't. You have vegetarian Buddhists, for example, who will eat animal meat if given as gifts. There are others who don't consider vegetables grown using pesticides as vegetarian since animals died for the food. There are many different standards for the way some of these things are defined. An airline and its caterers are among the last I'd expect to get all of this.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:50 am

What this is about is a company telling you one thing and delivering something else. That's a complaint no matter what.

I agree there are standards and DL should comply.

As a professional in the food service industry I adhere to the standards set forth in “Mr. Boston’s Official Bartenders Guide.” on the preparation of a Gin & Tonic. It states the drink should have a slice of lime as a garnish.

I don’t know how many times I have been on a DL (or other airlines for that matter a few years ago a group of us carried our lime on the plane.) when I did not receive a lime with my Gin & Tonic. In that case they are not living up to the standards of a proper Gin & Tonic.

So should I complain about it?

You know I need the lime to prevent scurvy.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:58 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by l'etoile
While you and I may think so, there really isn't. You have vegetarian Buddhists, for example, who will eat animal meat if given as gifts. There are others who don't consider vegetables grown using pesticides as vegetarian since animals died for the food. There are many different standards for the way some of these things are defined. An airline and its caterers are among the last I'd expect to get all of this.
Cool. You've just answered a question I've always had - namely how Buddhist monks in South East Asia can eat the meat that is placed into their alms bowls. I never wanted to ask for fear of being through rude, but it always struck me as odd.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Singleflyer

As a professional in the food service industry I adhere to the standards set forth in “Mr. Boston’s Official Bartenders Guide.” on the preparation of a Gin & Tonic. It states the drink should have a slice of lime as a garnish.

I don’t know how many times I have been on a DL (or other airlines for that matter a few years ago a group of us carried our lime on the plane.) when I did not receive a lime with my Gin & Tonic. In that case they are not living up to the standards of a proper Gin & Tonic.

So should I complain about it?
Are they taking drink order 24 hours before the flight like the requested meals? If so I want a Hendricks Gin, Q Tonic and a Cucumber Garnish.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 12:33 pm

Originally Posted by motytrah
Are they taking drink order 24 hours before the flight like the requested meals? If so I want a Hendricks Gin, Q Tonic and a Cucumber Garnish.

The OP stated he ordered a vegetarian meal. Not a Vegetarian meal held to the high standards of NAS6034.

I am talking about ordering a Gin & Tonic, not a Hendricks Gin, Q Tonic and a Cucumber Garnish.

So if the 'basic" G & T is wrong, do I still get to complain? Remember it is not made to the standard of a G & T.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 12:36 pm

Agreed 100% and a reasonable person understands that as well.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 2:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by jimrpa
Cool. You've just answered a question I've always had - namely how Buddhist monks in South East Asia can eat the meat that is placed into their alms bowls. I never wanted to ask for fear of being through rude, but it always struck me as odd.
The Dalai Lama has been quoted as saying that he is a vegetarian, but sometimes eats meat. He cannot turn down such a gift.

-=tg=-
Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by tgtg
The Dalai Lama has been quoted as saying that he is a vegetarian, but sometimes eats meat. He cannot turn down such a gift.

-=tg=-
Sort of off-topic, but he eats meat on his doctor's advice. The Dalai Lama has not been a vegetarian for quite some time.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:24 pm

Programs: AA - PP
No, it means that if you got to a restaurant and ask for a steak and they serve you horse meat you can sue them.

It also means that most people understand the difference between what happened to the OP and your lame-brain strawman argument, but that's another matter.

Cheers,
OPos.
Based on this thread, the OP requested a vegetarian meal, and by all accounts was served a vegetarian meal. NOBODY (that includes you) has been able to confirm otherwise. At one point, the complaint was that there was soy based (i.e. fake) meat in there. Last time I checked, soy meat was vegetarian.

My question, while clearly the irony intended behind it was lost on you and your personal attacks, was a result of some others claiming Delta should face legal action for not having what they consider to be a proper vegetarian meal. Obviously, if I wish to eat a steak, I'm not going to go to a vegetarian restaurant. In the same regards, if the poster is not happy with Delta's meal, they can go elsewhere in the same way.

Until there is actual proof that the meal had some manner of meat in it, that's where we stand.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:26 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Sort of off-topic, but he eats meat on his doctor's advice. The Dalai Lama has not been a vegetarian for quite some time.
Why would a doctor advise a patient to eat meat? Certainly you can get equivalent, if not superior nutritional benefits, if you eat a properly balanced vegetarian diet (perhaps including some supplements).
Old Nov 3, 2010, 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by jimrpa
Why would a doctor advise a patient to eat meat? Certainly you can get equivalent, if not superior nutritional benefits, if you eat a properly balanced vegetarian diet (perhaps including some supplements).
Beats me ...but that's the reason he gives ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.