Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Uhh Delta shouldnt Vegetarian meal be Vegetarian?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uhh Delta shouldnt Vegetarian meal be Vegetarian?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2010, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL Platinum
Originally Posted by andymo99
So are we agreeing that in fact the meal contained no fish or fish products whatsoever? If so, the OP really has no complaint.

Or is this fish milk soy thing animal-based?
My guess is that the package read something along the lines of "May contain: Fish, Milk, Soy". As a previous poster noted, the FDA requires that food containing any of the 12 most common allergens post that. These items are all among those items in addition to gluten, nuts, and other food items.

While I am not a vegetarian myself, I certainly can understand their point of view and desire not to eat anything that came from an animal. Clearly ranch dressing ought to fit this category--otherwise, I would not touch the stuff! The caterer could easily put balsamic vinaigrette or any other salad dressing not containing dairy.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
While I am not a vegetarian myself, I certainly can understand their point of view and desire not to eat anything that came from an animal.
That's Vegan, not Vegetarian...
Old Oct 30, 2010, 3:12 pm

Originally Posted by lsugolfer
You do realize that its Soybean, right?

Just like Chicken Soy...

Are you confusing "soy fish" with "fish soy?"

I've heard of (and eaten) soy fish, chicken, pork, etc. aka fake meat.

This sounds like a list of ingredients without commas.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 4:34 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by SamuelS
A vegetarian meal should not be a "fake" meat or fish item - even if it is soy.
WHAT Ever hear of Tofurky or Meatless Meatballs or even vegetable sushi?

Good grief, there are a number of non-meat based products that resemble meat and make it a lot easier for long-time omnivores to take the jump into vegetarianism or even veganism.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 5:27 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM
I'm sure it contained FISH, it would not list "Fish Soy" if it contained Soy in any form without any real fish...that's just not how it is done. Delta may be sloppy on this, but packaged food producers are very worried about being sued.

See Vegetarian, Vegan and Gluten-Free Information "Dressings to avoid: Ranch dressing contains fish byproducts..."

Delta cannot do vegetarian or vegan properly. They will end up in a lawsuit at some point as this is going on and on.

-=tg=-
Old Oct 30, 2010, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

It was ranch dressing. It did not say "may contain" it said " Contains ...". I already sent an email to delta that this is a huge liability for them and could result in a lawsuit for them and the company they outsource this veg meal package to as I'm sure they know its veg. Meal they're packaging for delta.

The person that said this is a silly thing to complain and should be in the silly complain thread is ridiculous. People have values and beliefs they would like to keep to. What may bother you someone else may say stop your silly complaining..so relax, my friend.

Is the vegan meal any good?
Old Oct 30, 2010, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
The easiest solution to all this is just bring your own food with you--I've been doing it for years, and it sure beats by a kilometer or two whatever you might get served.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by tkey75
...and you still order them for what then, a laugh?
That is a good question! By specifically ordering MOML meals I hope (probably vainly) that Delta will see there is a demand and will take it seriously.

I did ONCE have a MOML meal that was NOT the vegetarian meal, a curried chicken dish...was quite tasty...so now I keep hoping I'll get that again....
Old Oct 30, 2010, 6:50 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Now that people have cleared up that there's no ingredient called "milk fish soy," we should be able to agree that it is dumb and not cool for the caterer/Delta to serve a veg meal with fish as an ingredient.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 8:29 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by jimrpa
WHAT Ever hear of Tofurky or Meatless Meatballs or even vegetable sushi?

Good grief, there are a number of non-meat based products that resemble meat and make it a lot easier for long-time omnivores to take the jump into vegetarianism or even veganism.
Absolutely I have heard of them, who hasn't heard of veggie burgers, Tofurkeys, etc.

My point however is that an airline vegetarian meal should not be a 'fake' meat item. There are a many vegetarians whom actually don't like meat, and don't crave 'fake meat'. Certainly at any European or decent Asian airline, things like Tofurkey or Soy Steaks etc. would absolutely not be offered.

Things like vegetarian lasagne, vegetarian curry, and yes vegetarian sushi - these would all be fine.

Anyway, it sounds like it's a moot point as that was not the case for the OP.

Back on topic, I agree with other posters that the "one-size-fits-all" approach by offering the exact same meal for MOML, VLML, AVML etc. is lame. If Delta and it's caterer can't accommodate the different meal types, then they really shouldn't offer them in the first place, it just sets up a customer service delivery failure situation.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 9:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HH
Originally Posted by PRWeezer
I was on a highly restricted diet earlier this year and I asked alot of questions (dining out) & read ingredient lists thoroughly before I ate anything. Same deal for a friend who was a vegetarian for a few years. I thought it was annoying dining out with her until I found myself in a similar situation.

With all due respect, if it that's important I would think you would confirm first or just pass on what is offered...and pack your own approved food just in case.
going through the whole "read every label" and do research before dining out thing lately due to my daughter's recent gluten allergy diagnosis. it is a pain but has also educated me to the stuff they toss into food for no apparent reason.

wondering if DL can actually produce a true gluten free meal. guess i have more research to do.
Old Oct 30, 2010, 11:08 pm

Programs: AA ex-EXP, 2MM (ex DL, ex TWA)
Originally Posted by nas6034
Order a vegetarian meal for my flight get it ask hostess what it is says this and that but doesn't know much cause Delta doesn't tell her. Ok fine. I am done eating and check the ingredients of the ranch dressing and it says "Contains Milk FISH soy". I complain to FA she says go to delta.com and complain there they'll handle it. Umm hello Delta, I've been veg. my whole life and this is truly disgusting to me and really sad. I did write to delta.com from the flight.
Some of my most vivid memories from my "DL period" are of awful catering mistakes. A "seafood" special meal on FCO-ATL that turned out to be sausages and rice, and giving my daughter's pre-ordered children's meal to someone else "because they asked". I have had one flight on DL in the last 10 years, while racking up 2MM on AA....
Old Oct 31, 2010, 5:24 am

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I'm surprised it wasn't obvious that it was an ingredients list without commas. Very not cool on DL's part.
Old Oct 31, 2010, 7:03 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM
FWIW I've never seen "veggie meat" on any Delta veggie meal. Real meat, sometimes, but never fake meat...well, I'm not sure if the chicken was chicken, but it certainly wasn't vegetarian...

I've frequently seen milk and eggs in Delta vegan meals.

If they cannot deliver the product, then they should not claim they do. Oh, shoot, then they would frequently have trouble claiming to be an air line.

-=tg=-
Old Nov 2, 2010, 7:14 pm
Original Poster

The whole situation does suck. What is the response time for DL? I sent them an email via their website on Fri evening and its Tuesday evening. Either they are taking this seriously or think it's a joke and I probably won't here from them for a while, if ever. Very sad.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.