Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Uhh Delta shouldnt Vegetarian meal be Vegetarian?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Uhh Delta shouldnt Vegetarian meal be Vegetarian?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:06 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Let me get this right.

This thread is about DL having soy product in their dressing on a veggie meal?

This is lame.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 8:18 pm

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Let me get this right.

This is lame.
Completely agree and as one of the other posters suggested, if you are that concerned about getting the meal right, bring it with you.
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by exwannabe
Let me get this right.

This is lame.
No, it is about having a fish product in their dressing on a veggie meal.

-=tg=-
Old Nov 2, 2010, 9:06 pm

Programs: Skyteam
I think it's a typo... supose to "soy milk dish"
Old Nov 3, 2010, 8:03 am

Programs: DL PM, 1MM
Contains: Milk, Soy, Fish

The "contains line" on products is not an ingredients list, it is an allergy warning. No one list "soy fish" as an allergy warning.

This dressing definitely contained fish products.

-=tg=-
Old Nov 3, 2010, 8:14 am
Original Poster

Thank you tgtg.

Plain and simple they served a product that contains fish in a veggie meal. For those saying bring a bagged food, it's like saying let me go to restaurant X, and bring a bagged meal. I should be concerned about a meal. If they offer a certain product they should live by it. It's like saying if you're concerned about your car for example, why not buy a better one or walk instead. Ridiculous people we have here.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat.
Originally Posted by nas6034
Plain and simple they served a product that contains fish in a veggie meal.
nas6034, I'm confused why you ate ranch dressing at all. It may have had "fish extract" in, but it also has milk and probably eggs. Isn't milk "cow extract"? And isn't an egg "chicken extract"?

If you're willing to eat creamy dressings, you're probably eating all sorts of animal extracts.

With all due respect, I don't understand why you're getting upset about fish extract when you're happily eating dressing that contains various animal products. To me, fish seems like the LEAST gross of the ingredients.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 8:37 am

Originally Posted by s1c3r1a1b3b3l1e1
My guess is that the package read something along the lines of "May contain: Fish, Milk, Soy". As a previous poster noted, the FDA requires that food containing any of the 12 most common allergens post that. These items are all among those items in addition to gluten, nuts, and other food items.
In the US there is no requirement to label for gluten, only for allergens. The current list is: milk, eggs, fish, Crustacean shellfish, tree nuts, peanuts, wheat, and soybeans (Source)

Since people aren't technically allergic to gluten it gets the shaft. Wheat does encompass some of it, but excludes barley and rye and other points of cross contamination of gluten.

Funny that a country like Brazil can label whether things contain gluten as part of their nutrition labeling laws, but the US can't.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:08 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Thank you tgtg.

Plain and simple they served a product that contains fish in a veggie meal. For those saying bring a bagged food, it's like saying let me go to restaurant X, and bring a bagged meal. I should be concerned about a meal. If they offer a certain product they should live by it. It's like saying if you're concerned about your car for example, why not buy a better one or walk instead. Ridiculous people we have here.
I think you should write again to Delta, and DEMAND they send you some of those sweet sweet omaha steaks they sell at DL marketplace!
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: DL-PM, Small Luxury Hotels & Proud Member of TSA Disparager-Gold
Geez man lighten up - it's not like Delta IS a restaurant they're an airline who happens to offer meals and sometimes mistakes happen, sometimes flights don't get catered at all. Bottom line the caterers screwed up so good thing you checked the label.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 9:45 am
In Memoriam

Programs: DL DM, UA, AA, SPG Gold, Marriott, HH, Fairmont, NYSC (Passport), 24hrFitness-Super Sport
Originally Posted by Mort
nas6034, I'm confused why you ate ranch dressing at all. It may have had "fish extract" in, but it also has milk and probably eggs. Isn't milk "cow extract"? And isn't an egg "chicken extract"?

If you're willing to eat creamy dressings, you're probably eating all sorts of animal extracts.

With all due respect, I don't understand why you're getting upset about fish extract when you're happily eating dressing that contains various animal products. To me, fish seems like the LEAST gross of the ingredients.
You are talking about veganism. Vegetarians can eat eggs. They can drink milk. Learn the difference. (Btw, I am a carnivore, but it's really not that complicated). If a dressing contains fish oil, a fish was killed for that oil, which would go against vegetarianism. If a dressing contains milk, no cow was killed for that milk, so a vegetarian can eat the dressing. @:-)
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:20 am

Man these Veg threads bring out some really unnecessary responses. What is it with some folks? The question is about DL living up to it's catering obligations, not about someone's food, lifestyle or religious choices.

DL offers 16 different meal choice in additional to the standard meals. The burden is on DL to oversee it's catering contract and ensure it is meeting it's service obligations to the customer. End of Story.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:39 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by motytrah
Man these Veg threads bring out some really unnecessary responses. What is it with some folks? The question is about DL living up to it's catering obligations, not about someone's food, lifestyle or religious choices.

DL offers 16 different meal choice in additional to the standard meals. The burden is on DL to oversee it's catering contract and ensure it is meeting it's service obligations to the customer. End of Story.
Good post.

As a vegetarian, I seldom order a veg meal on an airplane because they're usually so crummy - no matter what class of service. When I have ordered veg meals I seldom expect them to fully get them right though. (And I subscribe to the previous mentioned idea that it's an airplane, not a restaurant so I live with it.) Many people eat fish yet call themselves vegetarians. They aren't, but they create a lot of confusion for others, including caterers. I've received yogurt that contains gelatin in it as part of a veg meal on a plane. I was just happy it was labeled so I knew not to eat it.

I'd likely let DL know their dressing wasn't veg so that it's an educational opportunity (and it can't be too tough for the caterers to swap in a vinaigrette), but I also would be happy it was labeled so I could opt to eat my salad without it.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 10:53 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
NAS6034,

I applauded you on you high standards of sticking with the Vegetarian diet. I only wish you have such high standards for your writing skills, your punctuation and grammar in the first post is horrendous.

I know some people who call themselves ‘vegetarians’ that do eat regular store bought Ranch Dressing, and without reading the label on the Hidden Valley bottle I am sure it contains some ingredients that are not in keeping with the strictest vegetarian dietary standards.

As others have posted, if you are that concerned, read the label first. If it is not up to your high standard, don’t eat it. As I said I know some people who consider themselves vegetarians who would have eaten that dressing on the airplane. I am not saying their standards are not high, I just think they have a more realistic view of what to expect when ‘eating out.’ I think most people, including myself, know exactly the finer points of some ingredients that are allowed in the strictest vegetarian diet.

So I guess the only solution is for DL and other airlines should discontinue the special meals because it can’t please 100% of the people who request them.

On a side note when I go to a local restaurant I bring my own bottle of Diet Tonic Water for the bartender to use when making me a lower calorie Gin and Tonic. In good customer service the restaurant now has diet tonic for me and my wife.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 11:00 am

Programs: AA - PP
It was ranch dressing. It did not say "may contain" it said " Contains ...". I already sent an email to delta that this is a huge liability for them and could result in a lawsuit for them and the company they outsource this veg meal package to as I'm sure they know its veg. Meal they're packaging for delta.

The person that said this is a silly thing to complain and should be in the silly complain thread is ridiculous. People have values and beliefs they would like to keep to. What may bother you someone else may say stop your silly complaining..so relax, my friend.
So wait a sec, does that mean if my friends take me to a vegan restaurant, I should be able to order a steak and sue them if they don't give me one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.