your chances are 99.9% coach is over sold by 31 still 10 seats in BE
Old Jul 21, 2010, 8:05 pm

Programs: DL DM (and NRSA), UA NA, HH Dia, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Hertz4me
your chances are 99.9% coach is over sold by 31 still 10 seats in BE
I would say that currently those chances are 99.999999999999999999999999%
Old Jul 21, 2010, 8:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
Great news, thanks all, seems like I'll be able to spend some miles!

Do I have to do anything, or are those upgrades processed automatically?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by peteropny
I'd say chances are pretty good (not guaranteed obviously) especially since you're on a "higher" fare basis and have requested the Z upgrade (check your itinerary to make sure). From your fare bucket list, it actually looks like Economy could be oversold (Y4 indicates only 4 economy at full Y available for sale), you probably had a chance of being operationally upgraded for free as a PM anyways.
The OP's "higher" M fare is actually the cheapest fare that can be upgraded TATL with either miles or SWUs. It's only a good fare category for an OPUP, where status probably matters more but there are no real rules AFAIK.

It was discussed in another thread, but the same day standby for upgrade at gate feature is published for new SWUs but not AFAIK for international upgrades with miles. Nevertheless, the OP should be sure to try to be moved from the waitlist to the standby list at the (first if possible) airport on the day of departure in that direction.

As a new TATL upgrader, OP also needs to be sure that the ticket has been properly reissued with miles deducted. This may require multiple calls to DL. If there is a problem, check in will be long and frustrating, possibly resulting in a missed flight or a middle seat in coach.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 3:43 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Definitely worth calling the elite line at maybe T-36 or so to see if anything has opened up to save some stress at the airport. I did this recently and upgrade inventory had opened up and they cleared the upgrade. I think that the upgrades are supposed to clear automatically if you are on the waitlist, but better to be proactive, IMO.

Then again, given that the oversold situation looks so certain, you could always hold out for the op-up and save the miles.
Old Jul 24, 2010, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA, AA
Chance of Upgrade Clearing and When

Am flying monday am (second flight of am) from sea to atl
have a B fare and am platinum with amex reserve
the flight is on 767 and there are 10 open F seats--
Was hoping to have cleared by now--do you think these are being held for gate upgrades in hopes they sell the remainder of the F seats?
Old Jul 24, 2010, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
could be close....

If you are speaking of flight 128 it appears there are only 4 seats left for sale in J.

My guess is you make it......
Old Jul 26, 2010, 5:40 am

Programs: FB Plat, CX Diamond, TK Elite *G, EK Gold, EY Silv, Amex Cent, R&C 5C, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SFOFlyer2
if your purchased fare class on DL is H,Q,K,Y,B,M and if upgrades are available it could be around 150$ per person. Could be lower i think it depends on the distance.
Thanks to you all for this detailed information !

Is it possible to upgrade at check-in using Flying Blue Miles? If yes, how many miles ?
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:06 pm

Programs: AA CK
Best Chance for upgrade JFK to LAX

FLying PHX to JFK to LAX to SLC to PHX in late Sept.

JFK to LAX is prob Wed or Thurs flight. I have never flown JFK to LAX before. Any advice as to time of day to fly to maximize upgrade chance? I'll be on U or L fare and am a PM.

Last edited by frege5; Jul 29, 2010 at 11:15 pm
Old Jul 29, 2010, 11:51 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
early morning sunday and monday has to be a holiday for the best chance! lol

but FYI they only upgrade that flight at the gate
Old Jul 30, 2010, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
early morning sunday and monday has to be a holiday for the best chance! lol

but FYI they only upgrade that flight at the gate
Saturday wouldn't be a bad day either.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 3:18 am

Programs: Miles&more, SPG, Hyatt
I would say saturday early morning would be great.

I was upgraded early this year when I was still a silver.
Old Jul 30, 2010, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by frege5

JFK to LAX is prob Wed or Thurs flight. I have never flown JFK to LAX before. Any advice as to time of day to fly to maximize upgrade chance? I'll be on U or L fare and am a PM.
Wednesday day is better than Thursday. There are no advanced upgrades on any JFK-LAX flights so prepare for a battlefield
Old Jul 30, 2010, 5:28 am

Upgrade chances ATL-SAN

Flying ATL-SAN on Sunday afternoon on a Q fare. Any thoughts on upgrade chances?

I apologize if I could have found this elsewhere. I looked but didn't find it.

Thanks,
Mitch
Old Jul 30, 2010, 5:50 am

Programs: DL PM, CO PE
Originally Posted by frege5

In my experience I find the best upgrade chances for that flight are on the 7 AM (too early for most people) and the 8:30 PM (but, there's no meal service after 8 :-( and the BE dinner is really quite a nice domestic service).

Here's what I do:

Since ALL BE upgrades on the JFK-->LAX flight occur at the gate, its pretty easy to tell the day before the flight where the openings are.

At booking I choose the flight with the best combination of Fare and Arrival Time to suit my needs. Then, the night before departure I scan for upgrade chances on all flights the next day and SDC into an alternate flight if the one I'm booked on looks doomed.

FWIW, As a PM, I'm 6/6 on my JFK/LAX/JFK BE upgrades, most on sLUT fares, and none on the red-eye or post 8 PM routes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.