Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Chances: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:43 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by gouldwj
I haven't flown this route before and I was wondering if someone could give me some odds on getting upgraded. I am a lowly Silver Medallion booked in T class on the 630a PDX-JFK on 4/25(sunday). I've had decent luck with upgrades flying out of SEA. I'm interested to hear your insights. Thanks!
I think you have a decent shot...just a quick glance at the flight shows 11 seats open in FC...coach looks full except for the exit rows are pretty open indicating less medallions. After the 3 day mark, look and see if more seats in coach open up and less seats in FC...then you will know if any Golds were upgraded at the window.

All this is very iffy of course, but IMO you have a very good chance.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 1:10 pm

Programs: DL Silver, USAir Silver, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by vasantn
22.57%.
I would have thought more like 33.33% repeating.

Thanks for the replies, I did have an inclination to think that on a Sun morning flight, there might not be as many business travelers. I'll cross my fingers!
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:36 pm
mpp

I have been upgraded on this (and going the other way) as a Silver more often than not. Don't forget that you get to use the SkyClub on both ends as this is part of the Transcon "Business Elite" stuff. The SkyClub in PDX opens at 5am everday.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 7:53 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Another one of these?

16.85840938409383%
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:02 pm

Location: NY by birth, BNA by choice - soon YXE, the SKY by virtue.
Originally Posted by mpp
Don't forget that you get to use the SkyClub on both ends as this is part of the Transcon "Business Elite" stuff.
FYI, this is inaccurate and making statements like this contributes to the confusion (which causes several posts here on FT on a regular basis).

Passengers on non-stop flights to/from JFK & a handful of west coast cities are eligible for SkyClub access if sitting in first class.

The BusinessElite service between JFK & SFO/LAX offers the same benefit, but to avoid confusion, it's best if the other cities (PDX, SEA, SAN, LAS, DEN, PHX etc) are not tagged with the term "BusinessElite".
Old Apr 7, 2010, 10:42 pm
mpp

Originally Posted by xanthuos
FYI, this is inaccurate and making statements like this contributes to the confusion (which causes several posts here on FT on a regular basis).

Passengers on non-stop flights to/from JFK & a handful of west coast cities are eligible for SkyClub access if sitting in first class.

The BusinessElite service between JFK & SFO/LAX offers the same benefit, but to avoid confusion, it's best if the other cities (PDX, SEA, SAN, LAS, DEN, PHX etc) are not tagged with the term "BusinessElite".
FYI, it's what Delta calls it. They don't call it First Class. They call it BusinessElite. It is true there are no lie flat seats and it is not BusinessElite service, but you are upgraded to X ("Domestic BusinessElite") and the boarding pass prints as BusinessElite, etc. You can't buy a non-stop First Class ticket between PDX and JFK. I agree Delta should just call it First Class and include SkyClub benefit.
Old Apr 7, 2010, 11:45 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by mpp
FYI, it's what Delta calls it. They don't call it First Class. They call it BusinessElite. It is true there are no lie flat seats and it is not BusinessElite service, but you are upgraded to X ("Domestic BusinessElite") and the boarding pass prints as BusinessElite, etc. You can't buy a non-stop First Class ticket between PDX and JFK. I agree Delta should just call it First Class and include SkyClub benefit.
Incorrect.

Its called "Business" not "Business Elite" on all routes (with the exception of JFK-SFO/LAX where it actually is Business Elite, as has already been said) because of the flight number; the flight is either a continuation or terminating leg of an international flight with the same flight number. Period. The boarding pass NEVER prints "Business Elite" it prints "Business."
Old Apr 12, 2010, 7:46 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum Elite, Skymiles Platinum Medallion
Better chance of upgrade: Delta or Continental

Hi guys, might be a silly question, but here we go:

I have been platinum northwest worldperks for a few years now. pre-merger, I almost always got upgraded on all my flights (KLM, NWA, Delta, Continental). I am even talking about international flights (for example, Montreal to Rome, NYC to Tokyo, etc.). However, post merger never got any upgrades.

I have a flight planned out to china. I have the choice between Delta or Continental. In your opinion, which has a better chance of being upgraded as skymiles platinum medallion? I guess the logical answer would be delta, but i just never got any upgrades with them recently (not even upgraded seats in economy), so im kinda reluctant....

Any advice would be great!
Old Apr 12, 2010, 8:23 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
With the exception of a few shorter international routes (for instance, Canada, typically not designated as BE or BF), neither CO nor NW gives free international upgrades to anyone. The rules for paying with miles or SWUs are different; check on this if you have the appropriate upgrade instruments.

For OPUPs, officially it's anything goes, although folklore suggests that any airline is likely to favor its own elites. Hence, if you're PM with DL and nothing on CO, your slight chance would be higher on DL.

However, if you are PM with DL (last year too) and literally have never gotten a domestic upgrade on a published paid fare since the merger, something might be wrong. Do you know where you were on the upgrade lists and whether your flights were all particularly elite-heavy? Have you been checking the upgrade request (normally the default) when you book your tickets or could your TA be doing it wrong?
Old Apr 14, 2010, 3:34 pm

upgrade chance jfk-lax on silver?

is there any chance a silver medallion member being upgraded on jfk/lax or lax/jfk flights? If so can somebody give me an idea what days/times might have a higher %? thanks
Old Apr 14, 2010, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dan88
is there any chance a silver medallion member being upgraded on jfk/lax or lax/jfk flights?
Sure, but it's small.

Originally Posted by dan88
If so can somebody give me an idea what days/times might have a higher %? thanks
Pick the times when few people are commuting. Tuesday and Wednesday mid-day would generally be good options, as would Saturday mid-day (though there you have to watch for international connections...like people that need to be in Europe Monday morning.)
Old Apr 14, 2010, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL DM
The last flight out of JFK (9:00pm departure) is an easy upgrade. Other than that, it is hit or miss. I have been on a 8:00am flight with a few Silvers up front and have been on flights where Diamonds sat in the back. It is a popular route with paid BusinessElite customers.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 5:35 pm

Programs: Delta Gold :-( KLM Gold HH Diamond
Really?

Really, is it fact better than "HAHAHA no chance mate"? Cause that's what I always thought a Silver's chances of an upgrade are, esp in longer / busier flights.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
last Saturday ... 4 Elites for 10 seats outbound and 7 Elites for 14 seats on the return.
Old Apr 14, 2010, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
JFK used to be so easy for all Medallions on all flights. With the new BE service LAX and SFO is harder now but still possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.