Search

Upgrade Chances: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2010, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by smfflyer
That flight is definitely of interest. Although since it is a NW plane no wifi
But I cannot complain if I can get home sooner
The A319/A320's are scheduled to get Wifi. Not sure of the current status.
Old Mar 2, 2010, 4:03 pm

My only miss this year was DTW-ATL mid afternoon on a Monday. Not a big deal, only 1:30 flight time.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:11 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
upgrade chances ATL-SJU?

I just bought a ticket SEA-ATL-SJU for next week. Not quite MR status, as it is $490ai but worth about 8000 MQM, which is what I want. I'm only there for 15 hrs.

This is my first experience looking for a medallion status (diamond) u/g on a non-domestic route. I've plugged the ATL-SJU portion of the route into EF, and searched for upgrade avaibility, but it doesn't recognize ATL-SJU nonstop.

Anyone have any experience doing this? 757s both legs, and wide open seat maps, but that doesn't mean much.

Thanks
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
SJU is a US territory. It is a domestic flight.

I am 100% on advanced upgrades for this route; you were probably typing something in wrong on EF.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
Originally Posted by DLATL777
SJU is a US territory. It is a domestic flight.

I am 100% on advanced upgrades for this route; you were probably typing something in wrong on EF.
Same for me, 100% on a monthly trip for over 10 years! ^ Although on about 8 of these trips I used the so called worthless PMU's I had received. For a long time after 9-11 no meals were served but I am happy to report that they returned to a meal service (usually no choice) about a year and a half ago. The Crown Room closed about a year ago as well as did the Presidents club. The duty free shop is also again open to those flying to the US with some excellent prices on alcohol, especially Rum and Vodka.^
Old Mar 16, 2010, 5:39 pm
KLC
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by Donna49
... I've plugged the ATL-SJU portion of the route into EF, and searched for upgrade avaibility, but it doesn't recognize ATL-SJU nonstop. ...
Those flights are marketed as Business, so you'll need X availability.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 6:14 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM (NW+DL) FI Gold
Originally Posted by KLC
Those flights are marketed as Business, so you'll need X availability.
When using EF, I had clicked on the domestic upgrade box for V class as I always have done. Nothing came back.

Now, I select the box for "other fare class" and enter "X', and it comes back with 9 avail down and back.

Excellent, and great to know now that I need to search for "X" for this.

Thanks.
Old Mar 16, 2010, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
I did well (75%+ as a NW GE on this route, even better as a PE).
Old Mar 16, 2010, 9:13 pm
KLC
In Memoriam

... Now, I select the box for "other fare class" and enter "X', and it comes back with 9 avail down and back....
Good to hear! You can use the EF "Awards & Upgrades" link, and select "Business-Complimentary upgrades for elites (X)". This fare bucket is required for elite upgrades on flights where the forward cabin is marketed as Business rather than First.
Old Mar 17, 2010, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
I just bought a ticket SEA-ATL-SJU for next week. Not quite MR status, as it is $490ai but worth about 8000 MQM, which is what I want. I'm only there for 15 hrs.

This is my first experience looking for a medallion status (diamond) u/g on a non-domestic route. I've plugged the ATL-SJU portion of the route into EF, and searched for upgrade avaibility, but it doesn't recognize ATL-SJU nonstop.

Anyone have any experience doing this? 757s both legs, and wide open seat maps, but that doesn't mean much.

Thanks
I have done about 20 of these flights for cruise departure purposes. I have been upgraded every time and the Business Class (it's really First Class but it is marketed as Business on this market) frequently leaves with empty seats, though this is primarily on the ATL-SJU leg; the return flight is usually significantly more full or at least that has been my experience. You will also get a hot meal.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 4:18 pm

Realistic Upgrade Chances

Some reason I wasn't automatically UG to F after purchasing a Y ticket (first time this has happened) as a GM. So, checked in online #1 of 14 now (SEA-ATL) w/ 4 F seats remaining. Understanding the ranking could change, what is realistic expectation for upgrade when on list prior to getting to airport? ie. #x of xx with x seats. Common math would say 2 of 22 with 2 seats would get upgraded, but when does this happen? At the gate? At the Ticket Counter when checking bags? My Y returns have already been UG. One time I didn't get UG as a Y was a BOS-SEA flight with a layover (same flight #) in MSP. They couldn't UG in BOS because they couldn't put me in the same exact seat for the MSP-SEA leg...
Old Mar 28, 2010, 5:48 pm

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
As they check in, only a GM on Y that bought/requested an upgrade before you did, a GM with an AMX Reserve card, A PM on Y with or without the AMX card or A DM on Y with or without the AMX card will be able to bump you out of the #1 spot on the list. And of course anyone that decides to actually buy a F/C or "A" (if available) fare for the flight. Upgrades likely will not occur until 30 minutes before the flight if there are still seats unreserved and 10 to 15 minutes if all seats are assigned but there are no-shows. Good luck, you most likely will get it as odds seem stacked in your favor.
Old Mar 28, 2010, 7:08 pm

Thanks for the answers...just have to wait and see I guess? Good news is I'm still #1 of 17 now!
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:23 am

Programs: DL Silver, USAir Silver, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
PDX-JFK Upgrade Chances?

I haven't flown this route before and I was wondering if someone could give me some odds on getting upgraded. I am a lowly Silver Medallion booked in T class on the 630a PDX-JFK on 4/25(sunday). I've had decent luck with upgrades flying out of SEA. I'm interested to hear your insights. Thanks!
Old Apr 7, 2010, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by gouldwj
I haven't flown this route before and I was wondering if someone could give me some odds on getting upgraded. I am a lowly Silver Medallion booked in T class on the 630a PDX-JFK on 4/25(sunday). I've had decent luck with upgrades flying out of SEA. I'm interested to hear your insights. Thanks!
22.57%.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.