Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Chances: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3, 2009, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I'd still keep calling and trying... but don't check in online or anything. Once you check in the upgrade possiblity is gone excetp for an op-up, which doesn't look likely as Y is not sold out.
Currently I see 9 open seats on the seatmap (for what thats worth) and inventory looks like:
J6 D6 S5 I0 Y9 B9 M9 H5
Old Sep 3, 2009, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
Originally Posted by PMMMDL
PMUs are good on NWA metal. I've done it, but there has to be U bucket availability. I think they could route you through DTW and AMS (U bucket availability on Expertflyer for NW 40 flight).
Thanks for the heads up.

DTW and MSP to AMS are currently showing U8 and U2 for tomorrow's NW flights, with a cxn. on to CDG of course. Not getting any response for JFK-CDG on NW as all their TATL's route thru DTW or MSP anyway.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Originally Posted by WBurcham
Call SMS and ask them to contact revenue management on your behalf about opening up a J seat for you. At 24 hours, you are SOL unless it's oversold in Y.
Actually, the notion that upgrades will not be cleared on the day of departure is not true. It is possible for Z seats to open on the day of departure. I don't actually know how common this is, but it can happen. However, if this has not happened 4-6 hours prior to departure, then it will not happen. And what remains true at this point is that Z upgrades will not be processed at the gate. The "no upgrades at the gate policy" and been confusingly called "no upgrades on day of departure policy" but they are two different things.
Old Sep 3, 2009, 6:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, AA Gold, DL FO, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold
Update - 3 Sep 2042 EDT - inside 24 hrs from departure

A thousand thanks to all the FT'ers who have provided very useful counsel to this affair

As of now, I have not been cleared for anything. Nor have the 2+ hrs on the phone with DL yielded any meaningful fruit.

I have tried all of the following:
Changing my itinerary to any of the 3 legs on NW which involve a DTW-AMS leg (all of which have U, upgradeable inventory available)

Trying to change to a transatlantic DL-segment with Z inventory available (ATL-MAN and ATL-FRA). DL still seems to act and operate as if they do not own NW (thanks to folks on this board, both the ATL-MAN and ATL-FRA have Z9 available tomorrow)

The following "reasons" have been provided:

a) There are no NW seats on available for CMH-DTW. After sharing EF stats with the SMS-agent, he indicated that he saw them on the NW "system" but they were not available
b) Although EF shows U8 on NW40, DL cannot "access" that inventory because the DL side shows U0 even though he can see U8 via NW
c)The fare difference would be $1400 + a change fee even though I am on a changeable B fare
d) I am told that changing my trip into 2 legs (CMH-ATL-FRA, and then FRA-CDG) is not possible because by original PNR is booked as 1 leg and not 2
e)The connecting flight from AMS-CDG is sold out at 645am on 5Sep. (A true statement confirmable via EF) but each of the 715a, 8a, and 9a flights on KL from AMS-CDG are wide open in coach. Alas, to no avail - this is not possible. Would you like to book a hotel or rental car?
f) The first SMS agent I spoke with, tried to "reassure" me that if he could do anything he would. Honestly, I found this hard to believe - his goal was plain and simple: either collect $1400 or get my sorry arse off the phone ASAP. Subsequent agents were a bit more helpful but I have to wonder ..

I really am not one of those folks who think that because I am PM (and could easily be DM next year) that I am entitled to unlimited upgrades on any fare at any time, etc... but that these are the types of circumstances that I would hope I might be able to unload one of these lovely PMU's with a modicum of effort or understanding from the Platinum desk (is there such a thing?) A couple of calls happened to land in the middle of a casting call for the sequel of Slumdog Millonaire.

So - thanks to the folks on this board, I really came to DL with a variety of possible scenarios; none of which panned out. The fact that folks on FT have infinitely more creativity in trying to secure an upgrade within DL's own rules/framework leaves me a bit unsettled

I've resigned myself to a coach trip tomorrow evening, hoping and praying for a miracle. The more interesting question is would I have fared any better on UA or AA or is it "pipe dream" for me to surmise that these other airlines are any better

Hmmm...

Last edited by RPRocket; Sep 3, 2009 at 7:11 pm
Old Sep 3, 2009, 7:34 pm

Sorry to hear the poor results... ask for a supervisor. SOMEONE should be able to get you onto the B fare (or Y) for the upgradeable flight.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 9:14 am

Upgrade Chances?

Hi, I was wondering if you could give me an idea of what my upgrade chances are on these flights

I am a Silver Medallion

Q Fare - > BOS to MEM (departing @ 3:05 PM) on a Friday [operated by NW]
U Fare* -> MEM to BOS (departing @ 8:45 AM) on a Monday [op by NW]

*DL "U" fare = NW "T" fare

I know there's a lot of "ifs" but just wondering if you could give me an idea on what to expect.

Thanks.

Last edited by bmw303; Oct 4, 2009 at 9:38 am
Old Oct 4, 2009, 9:38 am

also these flights are in October , so its not a holiday period.

thanks
Old Oct 4, 2009, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Monday an Friday flights are rough for silvers... Not impossible, but smaller than they would be on other days.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by GBadger
Monday an Friday flights are rough for silvers... Not impossible, but smaller than they would be on other days.
thanks! appreciate your advice.
Old Oct 4, 2009, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by GBadger
Fully agree. Monday/Sunday/Friday are by far the toughest days for anybody but even tougher for Silvers.
Old Oct 5, 2009, 5:13 pm

thanks!
Old Oct 18, 2009, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL
Upgrade Chances

Can anyone tell me what my upgrade chances look like for a Gold Medallion for delta flight 715 on Thursday (10/22)? Thank You.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Upgrades from JFK WERE typically good but since the switch to the BE aircraft, the number of J seats have been reduced and therefore chances for upgrade have been reduced.
Old Oct 18, 2009, 4:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond in 2010, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by majortom546
Can anyone tell me what my upgrade chances look like for a Gold Medallion for delta flight 715 on Thursday (10/22)? Thank You.
Look pretty good. The Business cabin has 16 J seats only 2 are assigned, many preferred economy seats are not assigned. With L9 U5 there are a lot of discounted seats still for sale... I would guess you will clear at the window. Maybe tomorrow night... Good luck!!!

0 JFK
10/22/09 8:30 PM LAX
10/22/09 11:45 PM 752
Su,M,T,W,Th,F
75% / 32m C9 D9 S0 I0 Y9 B9 M9 H9 Q9 K9 L9 U5 T0
Old Oct 18, 2009, 4:46 pm
KLC
In Memoriam

ExpertFlyer (recommended subscription tool) shows X=0, so it's likely to be gate lottery on this flight. I wouldn't be discouraged if the upgrade doesn't clear at the 3-day window, but it really depends on the number of Plats (or Golds with higher fare class tickets) waiting for upgrades.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.