Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

How to Redeem Your SkyMiles on Virgin Australia Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to Redeem Your SkyMiles on Virgin Australia Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2011, 10:27 am

Programs: DL DM, AA PlatPro, Hilton DM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC, National EE
I wish I had found this thread earlier! I just figured out how to sign up for a Velocity Rewards account and search for the business "reward" seat. I'm still figuring out dates but a test date I tried with the Diamond desk worked fine.
Old May 1, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold
Has anyone had an experience where the Velocity Rewards website says there is no availability, but Delta on the phone says there is availability?
Old Jun 3, 2011, 8:50 am

Thank you so much for the instructions! I booked 3 awards in Z on VA LAX-MEL 12/20-1/12 on Wed! It really took no time at all with the DL agent since I had already used the Velocity site to find availability. I was wary about it showing 3 available seats and was worried that it wouldn't come up on the DL end, but it went through just fine!

This was my first award booking and I was pleasantly surprised at how pain-free it was. (Except for seeing the 450k miles disappear!)

Many many thanks to Wiirachay for the walk-through that made the booking so quick! I am excited to try out VA for the first time and to spend 3 weeks down under!
Old Jun 4, 2011, 8:28 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Wow - it worked. I guess I got a good agent.

This was the best advice I've ever seen on FT!

Thank you!
Old Jun 4, 2011, 2:04 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, AA 2.0 MM, DL Plat, Hertz Plat, LY Gold
Odds are that they are making a mistake and it will either come through confirmed as economy or won't confirm at all. Can't hurt to try though
Old Jun 5, 2011, 8:24 pm

Anyone actually flown on VA? Flew out of LAX last November and the checkin line for VA was backed up out the door. Looked like a really really long wait.
Old Jun 8, 2011, 8:50 am

Parents flew VA on Saturday LAX-MEL and have reported wonderful things. They did say that they arrived at LAX 3.5 hours ahead and got the last exit row seats available. VA does not assign economy (prem. econ?) seating beforehand (I was able to call and have them assign seats to my Z awards, but they have yet to show online so we'll see). Check-in is supposed to open 3 hours before departure, but it seems in practice it actually opens before that. Probably because of the long lines you saw!
Old Jun 13, 2011, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by Wiirachay
7. Bring out credit card to pay for taxes and fees, around $280.

Is any of it YQ?
Old Jun 13, 2011, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond/2MM, Alaska Gold, Marriott Titanium, LT Plat.
Is $280 the taxes/fees for ROUND TRIP in Business class ??
Old Jun 13, 2011, 11:20 pm

It's now closer to $500 per person; VA has raised their YQ
Old Jun 14, 2011, 5:07 am

Wow. That's an expensive fuel surcharge. How does it compare to Delta's YQ on award tickets for the same routing?
Old Jun 14, 2011, 6:35 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by DJMeatBall
Wow. That's an expensive fuel surcharge. How does it compare to Delta's YQ on award tickets for the same routing?
When I booked MCO-SYD on DL metal in December (one stop through LAX), it priced out at $113.60. Just looked at the same itinerary through Delta.com and it's asking for an additional $120.10 in taxes and fees.

This thread is making me re-think that trip. When I booked the above itinerary on literally the first day the flights were available for booking, I was "thrilled" to find mid-level availability in F/J for me and my wife (given the aforementioned lack of low availability). I'd been saving up my miles for 3 and a half years for the trip, so I had the SkyPesos to burn, though it definitely frosts me that we took the first F/J seats on all four flights and still had to pay medium mileage. That, however, is a topic for another thread...

Even though we're confirmed and excited for the trip, I'd be interested to hear how DL's 777 BE compares to Virgin's J. I'm not itching to switch (since I snagged both the domestic and int'l legs), but adding 180k back to my SM account could be too much to pass up. Anyone with experience flying both? Is the true flat-bed and 1-2-1 config worth it? Anyone ever done DL metal one-way and VA the other way? What did that trip price out at?

Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2011, 7:31 am

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Diamond, *wood plat, UA 1kc
Is there a max number of days from which VA will release inventory? I just created a Velocity account and was able to see 2 Biz awards from LAX-SYD for Mid-Feb 2012 but the Delta agent, who seemed very knowledgable (MN Accent so perhaps the North MN call center?) but she was unable to see the availibility.

Updated: I called a third time and found an agent who was able to make BNA-ATL-LAX-SYD-LAX work in F/Biz for 150k miles on the dates I listed above that the first two couldn't make work. This was her first VA booking and she called a manager in the "Int'l Depart" and I sat there as she received instruction.

The LAX-x-BNA, had I booked in F would have added 70k to it and Y 61.5k. I'll try and change that later or just buy an AA or SW ticket. Delta would have been 370k for the r/t. Thanks for this thread! btw - the agent was pretty hard on Delta for their mileage rates. Said she gets tired of hearing that plats and diamonds have so much trouble.

Last edited by Air Brian; Jun 14, 2011 at 10:36 am
Old Jun 24, 2011, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Anyone know if we're allowed to redeem for AUH-SYD on VA? I can't get the Velocity Rewards booking engine to do a reward search for that route, but they appear to be flying it 3x weekly. Trying to see what my options are for doing LHR-SYD/MEL, and if I could get AUH-SYD on VA and link it up with LHR-CDG-AUH on AF, I might be a very happy camper.
Old Jun 24, 2011, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Active: AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by mtkeller
Anyone know if we're allowed to redeem for AUH-SYD on VA? I can't get the Velocity Rewards booking engine to do a reward search for that route, but they appear to be flying it 3x weekly. Trying to see what my options are for doing LHR-SYD/MEL, and if I could get AUH-SYD on VA and link it up with LHR-CDG-AUH on AF, I might be a very happy camper.
VA does AUH-SYD or is it a VA codeshare with EY?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.